• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship My son and his first 300 yard target

Super Bee 950

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Austin Texas
www.bikesolutionsllc.com
My son wants to shoot F Class so I took him out to shoot groups at 300. Here is his first target. The target is just on the other side of the lake past the berm. I used a 25 yard pistol target because that is what I had in the garage, and at this point... it didnt matter. The wind was gusting and pretty variable. The 9 o-clock hit in the 8 ring was his second sighter shot. The black center is 5 1/2 inches so he is holding around minute and a half. He wants to try 500 yards tomorrow. He thinks he does better at long range. We shall see......
cool.gif

3429920541_d9005a63c4.jpg

3430732132_90816e1c62_o.jpg

Re: My son and his first 300 yard target

At this point it doesnt matter. Teach the basics and enjoy your time with him. Looks great for a first time. Teach and they will listen. Harp and they will tune you out. Make it fun and enjoy spending time with him while he still wants to.

Man, he looks bigger since yall came up! Tell him he did real good for me!

Here's a suggestion.

Get some bright colored sticky dots about 2-3" wide and place them over the center of the bull. That will provide some tighter aiming resolution in the middle of all that black. If my guess is right, the 'aim small, miss small' syndrome will yield even smaller groups.

I'll just betcha that kid can do a lot better simply by having a smaller aiming point. Kids are like that...

STP runs a 200yd 'FV' experimental fun event that uses a target with a 2MOA gray 5pt bull and a 1" white 'V' ring. The target is optimized to provide a smaller aimpoint, and to allow hits to be seen better against the gray bull.

Greg

Yeah, that crosshair can tend to swim around a bit when it's superimposed on all that black.

Very nice-

*note to self, bright yellow stickers are key.....

Awesome shooting....

ETA: You said "lake" that looks like a big puddle...
laugh.gif
j.k.

good stuff! I cant wait till i have a kid.

I love that scope, it is awesome for the $.

dude, he looks just like you. good job!

Very nice shooting!!!

Me and my father too are working on my 300 and 400 yard shots!

got both my boys into shooting, wish i had done it sooner. Great gob by your son, what caliber is the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg. Good suggestion. He did better when aiming at 1/2 inch dots at 100 yards. </div></div>

He does well hitting 3" orange steel dots at 600 too!...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More info on the rifle, load, scope, etc. I would love more details on what he is shooting. </div></div>

IIRC... It's a TRG 308 w/ 168s

Same rifle/load he used to shoot that 3" steel dot at 600...

That is great my oldest boy wants to shoot but lacks the attention span but he is only 10 so i hope in a year or two it he still wants it and can pay attention. My little one 14 months has found all of his brothers and cousins squirt/nerf guns and walks around saying boom boom boom at least he has his finger indexed on the frame lol

Be proud of your boy your passing on more than a pastime

Thats some really good shooting!!! Great to see the young ones out shooting. But I am wondering. How did his group compare to yours?

somebody's hooked!!! Of course your son will need his own rifle??? OOPS, sorry dad.

Let him shoot as much as he wants, (reasonably). If you're interested in his excelling, get some advice from David Tubb on training and lessons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice shooting. what scope is that ? thanks </div></div>

Nightforce.

Great Job. I have a little guy who is four. Just waiting to start him. Maybe next year with air rifle or .22.