• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report My son shot his AR to 1,000 yards!

kjmdrumz3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2020
    Oklahoma City
    I just took my 12-year old son out to Fouled Bore here in Oklahoma. He had only shot his off-the-shelf Ruger AR-556 out to about 200 yards until this this past Friday. We were shooting my 10-year old reloads of some charge weight Varget, and Hornady 55gr FMJ-BTs (these were "apocalypse" bulk loads and I don't remember what the charge weight was. Probably middle of the road somewhere). I was hoping to get him hitting steel out to 600 or so. And he did. Then he did it at 705. And again at 805. And 890. Finally getting some hits (3 in a row after walking the round in with a few shots) at 1,000 yards. 12-16mph wind at 11 o'clock at the shooting mat (in Oklahoma there is no such thing as a "steady wind", much less "no wind"). With an SWFA SS 10x, an off-the-shelf rifle, and some junk reloads I threw together 10+ years ago! Of course, the bullet has absolutely zero "uumph" left at that distance, but he made the shots nonetheless. Interestingly, the round was good out to 700-800 yards and then it just fell off a cliff, requiring 17 mils of correction at 1,000 yards! That thing was coming in about as vertically as bird shit, and with about the same amount of energy :ROFLMAO: I guess I'll be working up a precision load for his rifle here shortly.

Anyway...proud Papa here. Never thought we'd be making hits at that distance, but we did. And he had a hoot of a time!

Last edited: