• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My son's x2 8pt's for 2009

BLANKSGUNS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
Oh here and there
He takes full advantage of me, nice rifle, good ammo and I am off at an appointment and this is what he goes out and does without adult supervision, ok yeah I am proud of him.
These both were taken right out off our 500yd range in the back, both within 20 minutes of each other. 1st one on the left side was @ 205yds, 2nd on the right was @ 175yds, both from the prone w/Harris bipod, and to beat it all, he calls me telling me about the 1st one, then has the nerve to tell me to hold on the 2nd deer came back out into the field, while I am on the phone he shoots the 2nd deer, picks up the phone as says "he is going, going, going and he's down". Then I have to come back, help with the removal from the field and caping. Boy what a lucky guy huh!
IMG00005-20091104-1216.jpg

Re: My son's x2 8pt's for 2009

id say your both pretty fortunate . looks like a good morning to me . very nice

Very nice bucks! Looks like you raised him right!!

very nice deer! though i think he should work on his self control. he looks to be a teenager and i am sure he has killed A LOT of deer. why not take a child who doesnt have the opportunity to hunt and let him/her shoot the cull? sometimes the urge to kill overtakes our better judgement.

chuck

Thanks guys, he was a very lucky young man that day, not often you ever see that nice of an opportunity.

selfbowhunter: good point but I will have to say, I have taken him hunting with me and worked with him on his marksmanship since he was a very young boy. Every year, he has to basically go through a "qualification course" with me, the rifle, ammo and we start working 2-3 months prior to hunting season on 50 - 300yds. He actually has been passing up this year many smaller bucks, took a couple of does and clearly demonstrates self control with or without me. I as well, when capable of taking time off, go to TN and take one or two young men out hunting as well have introduced this fine sport to many others. The one thing I do teach is, no matter what the day offers, the woods, time with nature, peace and the hunt were all we ever expected, the game is always a blessing.

stacey,

i did not mean any disrespect at all. i too started my boys at a very young age. they are 8 and 10 now. this season my 10yr old hunted by himself for the first time. his first hunt was fine and he took a doe. his second hunt he shot a button buck he thought was a doe. i took the opportunity to teach him the very valuable lesson that you must KNOW what your target is and he used his buck tag on that deer. at one time i was very KILL thirsty and any hunt was judged by the kill. since my boys began hunting with me, i take so much more away from the experience and i have been concentrating on spreading that feeling to as many youth as possible. i try to convince others to do so as well whenever the chance presents itself. they are truly beautiful deer your son shot but i know he would have taken so much more from the experience if a friend that does not have the opportunity or means would have been there to shoot the cull. for you son, the smaller deers horns will soon be forgotten but to someone else it could have been the trophy of a lifetime!

chuck

None taken, agree with you and as many will. So what I did on this one, we are having both mounted for him, he is 18 and soon to go off into the world on his own. So to make the moment a true memorable day, both are to mounted, looking towards each other, plaques will be engraved with a "Double of a Life Time" and he understands just how lucky he really is and after this day, he said, "well I guess that big 11pt is what I want to go look for". We did, never saw him, but the pictures say he is there. The 2nd one was checking to see what happened and more concerned with the doe the 1st was tending, laid down in the ditch right next to him about 5ft away, which stayed there until my son walked up on her and she bolted of course. Good day and don't expect this to happen in a lifetime.

stacey,

i am very happy to know your son appreciates the opportunity he was given. i feel that his future is your highest priority and i am sure you are preparing him very well to enter the world on his own. congratulations on the wonderful animals and i hope there will be many more for both of you to harvest together.

chuck

I thank you all and have passed along the comments to my son. He was and is very proud of his accomplishment from this year and rightfully so. I have doubled and even tripled on a hunt but nothing like that. We both fully regard that one as a once in a lifetime deal for most and lucky beyond reality. I have really enjoyed passing along my hunting experience and teaching him how I enjoy hunting. Here in NC, his buddies all run dogs which is legal and understandable in this kind of environment, however we do not enjoy this way of hunting at all. We are looking forward to doing some coyote, bobcat and fox hunting when time permits.

Yes we have Black Bear in the back field as well as Turkey. However, we don't hunt them, just watch, more enjoyable for me, but my son has expressed interest in hunting bear some time with his friends, so maybe he will later. I have been out, watched them, been very close to the bear in the woods, and just don't have a desire to hunt them, much more enjoyable to me to watch. The wild turkey, that is a sight to behold, them lined up, marching thru the woods and to light off to the perch for the evening, cool sight to say the least.

Very nice bucks! I like the main beam formation on the right side buck. Congratz.