• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My spotter/ ranging setup

mcmillanman5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2007
Blackfoot, ID
I am about finished setting up my spotter/ ranging setup. I would still like to get one of the new dbal's to help brighten things up at night. I was able to use one with this the other night and was really impressed.

All things considered I am pretty happy with how this turned out. The only real downside that I have noticed so far is that the setup is side heavy because of the way the spotter hangs off to the side of mount rather than directly over the tripod head. Big thanks to all the guys who answered my questions about equipment here. Also the rangefinder and the spotter are not exactly lined up so some adjustment is needed to transition from one to the other. I have only been able to use this at night once because I just got the SNAP. You really do need to throw some IR illumination down range for the pvs14 to work well. I am sure that a clip on night sight would work better but I don't have one of them to try out.

Specs:
PRS medium tripod
Ashbury TIM
Leupold MK4 12-40
PVS14 weapon mount
Vectronix Terrapin
Badger SNAP
PVS14

DSCI0248.jpg

DSCI0247.jpg

DSCI0246.jpg

Re: My spotter/ ranging setup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit! lol

</div></div>

Ya, people need to stop posting this kinda cool shit. It's killin me.

Nice set up!

Interested to know
If using a 'high power' IR focus beam set to illuminate a Target that is needed to be Ranged using NV w/spotter .
Would that illuminating IR supplement washout the LRF IR pulse it is pushing to target ? . Would it weaken the LRF IR pulse mush like intense midday Sunlight ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested to know
If using a 'high power' IR focus beam set to illuminate a Target that is needed to be Ranged using NV w/spotter .
Would that illuminating IR supplement washout the LRF IR pulse it is pushing to target ? . Would it weaken the LRF IR pulse mush like intense midday Sunlight ?
</div></div>

Based upon the time I have spent using this at night it does not seem to give the rangefinder any trouble so far. I have ranged targets from 300-560 while using a high powered illuminator and have gotten readings just like always. As I get more time using this setup I will update if I run into a situation where things change. I would like to stretch it a little further and see how far it can be used at night. So far I have been limited because of available targets. Hope this helps.

ETA: As for the Call of Duty thing I suppose I can see where this may look a bit ridiculous/ overkill. I was trying to get my setup all on one tripod as the individual who is ranging when we go out is typically spotting as well. The Badger SNAP was more just to try it out at night as I already had a PVS14 and the adapter did not cost much. I have been fairly happy with the performance of the setup during the day which is when I spend the majority of my time shooting. I only posted this thread to share my experience with others who may be interested in doing something similar. I guess if it makes me appear as a video game geek then whatever.

That will depend on the wavelength of the illuminator and the LRF, along with it's sensor. My setup uses a Vector IV, which is a 1550nm laser, illum is 930nm, so the LRF is not visible in the NVg, nor is it affected by the illum.

BracketSystem1.jpg

I've actually switched over to DBAL-A3, but the ATILLA was a good unit. The A3 has better illum, a green daylight laser that is super visible, it's smaller and very high quality. Laser Devices makes some really nice units, and they make them in Class 1 versions for non Mil/LE as well. Great company.

thanks for the feedback on that .

Thanks. I can't get up from the couch right now because I've got wood.