• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My SPS Tactical AAC-SD

ipsullivan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2010
SC
Got this a week or so ago and thought I would share. It is my first bolt gun. It will get a new stock shortly, have not on one yet. I may get a HS Precision off a PSS until I can afford something else. I really like the rifle and have only had a chance to zero it.

2uj79nc.jpg

30skqxh.jpg

npm1qd.jpg

Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP ML16
EGW 0 MOA base and .840" rings
Harris HBR-S 6-9"

Need a stock pack still, probably getting an Eagle.
If anyone is curious I got it on GunBroker.

What do you guys think?

Ian

Re: My SPS Tactical AAC-SD

I like it! How is the quality? Does it feed well? How do you like the thread cover? Are you going to put a brake on it?

Sorry, I really want this rifle, so I'd like to know a lit about if before I buy it.

Thanks
Shay

very cool! i have been wanting this rifle. please let me know how she does!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it! How is the quality? Does it feed well? How do you like the thread cover? Are you going to put a brake on it?

Sorry, I really want this rifle, so I'd like to know a lit about if before I buy it.

Thanks
Shay </div></div>

The threading is good, there was some surface rust when I recieved it and the thread protector was very tight but the mineral spirits and CLP cleaned it up well and now threads flawlessly. I am not a huge fan of the stock, a little flimsy but for a $600 rifle that is what you get. I am looking for a PSS stock to throw it in and I am sure that will be much better.

I am planning on a brake once I get a stock, I would rather work on proper technique than solve an issue with a muzzle device. I am trying to find a brake that does not need to have the barrel re-contoured/timed. Looking for something to thread on and go, maybe I will just get a Vortex flash hider.

I am planning on going to the range tomorrow and seeing what it can shoot. I will report back.

Ian

Those are the same EGW rings that I have... I like'em.

Nice rig too!!

DK

I take they have not done anything to improve the stocks on the AAC models? I never realized how bad they actually were until had the chance to shoot a friend's.

Nice rifle though, ticks just about all the boxes.

Give the Bell and Carlsont A2 Medelist a look also. Quite a nice stock for the 200 and change. I happen to like it better than the HS stocks but both will work equaly well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give the Bell and Carlsont A2 Medelist a look also. Quite a nice stock for the 200 and change. I happen to like it better than the HS stocks but both will work equaly well. </div></div>

I was considering that as well, I like the more vertical grip angle and the hand hold as well. What do you they run for new?

I know a shooter that took one of these SPS AACs, bedded in a B&C Tactical adjustable stock (from a Tactical Target 700) after he blueprinted the bolt/receiver, added a Leupold MK4 10X in Badger rings, and a 308 Vortex (do they make one?).
Dang thing shoots MOA at 750 meters with M118LR, must be a pretty decent barrel, but he is a heck of a shooter (Marine, has done 0.55 MOA @ 900 meters with my .308 rig).

US Handgunner, is there any way you could make a smooth thread protector that somewhat matches the barrel for these rifles? I should have mine in a couple weeks., and I think the one that comes with it looks kinda ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great, now you just need to send me the bolt for a Tactical Bolt Knob Conversion!

Mark</div></div>

I would love to. How much?

I am checking out your site now.

New to the SH Forum but thought I would throw my 2 cents in....nice Rig and I highly reccommend the HS, got one on my Savage SVG FPLE and love it. Enjoy...it becomes Addicting.

Mine came in yesterday! Now the wonderful connecticut 2 week wait. Mine is dropping into a B&C light tactical stock.

ipsullivan: There are few brakes that require no timing or barrel work. The ones that don't, generally have ports spaced equally around the whole brake, which can throw blast down, and dirt up. I'm looking at the RAD brake from R&D precision, and should require only minor adjustment.
http://www.snipershide.com:80/forum/ubbt...rue#Post1920228

Mark: You will be seeing my bolt in the future for sure. Then very likely down the road for your action blueprint, set-back/rechamber, and muzzle brake install (if needed)

Here is the best and second best group of the day. I did not calculate it from the point of aim. Just to see the accuracy of the gun not the zero on the scope. The POA was the center of the red diamond.

s32d5e.jpg

2d9o782.jpg

This is my first bolt gun, I am certainly happy with the out of the box accuracy. I can't wait to see how a new stock will improve it.

These were made froma bench with bipod and rear bag. I estimated the range at 121 yards with my scope. The ammo was PPU 168gr HP BT.

Ian

Not bad, but not suprising either. Now get into reloading and start getting into the 208 Amaxs with Reloader 17.

Give Mike R. At Tactical Operations a call, he has take off HS police stocks often.

I'm sure I can get more consistant, but I only had one box of ammo. I am also debating reloading or buy a few hundred rounds of ammo.

Very nice.

As far as reloading vs. buying a large quantity of ammo I would absolutely choose reloading. It opens up a whole world of possibilities, both for this rifle and caliber and anything else you may choose to use in the future. I was faced with the same decision a few months ago I went the reloading route and have not even thought of looking back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice.

As far as reloading vs. buying a large quantity of ammo I would absolutely choose reloading. It opens up a whole world of possibilities, both for this rifle and caliber and anything else you may choose to use in the future. I was faced with the same decision a few months ago I went the reloading route and have not even thought of looking back. </div></div>

I would like to go that route I just need to do some research and reading. Not sure what I need, but I will read up tomorrow.

Stick that thing in an AICS, and you'll be good to go!

Also, check out US Handgunner's SPS upgrade package, it's a pretty good deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ipsullivan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great, now you just need to send me the bolt for a Tactical Bolt Knob Conversion!

Mark</div></div>

I would love to. How much?

I am checking out your site now. </div></div>

I charge $85 to do a Remington bolt handle. The price includes turning down the handle into a perfectly centered shaft, that is then threaded. After its threaded the knob is fitted, a hole is drilled through the center of the bolt handle which ends up being about 1 1/4 " deep. Its tapped for 10/30 and then is removed from the fixture. The hole is cleaned and filled with Loc-Tite 271 (Red Loc-Tite) and a hardened alloy machine screw is screwed down to the bottom of the hole then faced off.

This strengthens the joint of the handle/threaded shaft joint that is weaken.

Bolt Knob Page

Shipping and supplying the knob is also included in this price.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark

I can only speak of my experience with a B&C Medalist Tactical/Varmint stock that I recently bought for my .223 Remington 700 SPS-V rifle.

Calculating all 37 groups that I'd shot at 104 yards while load developing, the average for 3 shots was .662". I settled on 25.5 grains of H-4895 and the Sierra 63 grain semi-point bullet.

Since getting the B&C stock, I've had one short break in our terribly hot weather to shoot. Three consecutive 3-shot groups at 104 yards measured .284", .356" and .334". Only 5 of the previous 37 groups were in the .3" range and none were in the .2" range.

While three groups are too small a sample to base a firm conclusion on, IMO the B&C stock has made a noticeable improvement in consistency. I was impressed enough to order another B&C stock for my .308 SPS-V rifle and it should be here tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to work up loads for the .308 yet but I'll bet the B&C stock will make it a bit easier to find a good one.