• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My Stiller/Obermeyer/McM 6.5x47 Lapua Project

SDWhirlwind

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
Here are a couple of the normal shitty pics I am known for of my new project rifle. Specs as follows:

Stiller Tac30
Obermeyer 5R 9.1tw 28"
McMillan A2
Jewell trigger
Burris 6x24 in the only cheezy rings I had to fit this rail. Scope sucks and I realize why it was a gift from twin brother
smile.gif

Chambered with a PTG 6.5x47 match reamer, .294nk, .109 freebore for 120range of bullets.

Finished Friday and had a chance for a brief range session last nigh when wind finally died down a bit. Load was 39gr of H4350, R7 /12, Lapua 123 seated .010 into the lands. Break in would make NOBODY proud. Two rounds @ 30yds to get on paper, 1rd over the target at 100yds
smile.gif
, followed by 4 3 shot groups to get a feel for the new rifle and the first time I shot a jewell set at 10oz.

1st Group .418
2nd " .342
3rd " .502 pulled the 3rd shot right just like Lewinski did
wink.gif

4th " .408

Overall pretty satisfied with first load.Think it will be a shooter. Need to get some 30mm rings for a different scope. Trying to figure out how to pimp myself or an ebay scam to buy one of the SB 5x25's in the FS section. Only solution for that so far is selling my house or my truck
smile.gif

Picsof65x47Lapua1stGroups006.jpg

Picsof65x47Lapua1stGroups005.jpg

Re: My Stiller/Obermeyer/McM 6.5x47 Lapua Project

Typical old man syndrome I put it in the wrong forum! Shit!

NOBODY, I never set up the chrono last night. Just wanted a few rds down it and a starting point for powder charges. Really hoping for nearly 3000 with the 28" but the 39gr seemed near max but I need to get a feel yet for how the Stiller handles pressure vs a standard 700.

Bugholes tend to appear at the upper end of the pressure spectrum anyhow,so most things go hand in hand.

I keep spacing off a .243" barrel order,for another 243AI.

That hurts
mine is parts on hand but not yet built
6.5x47
Manners T4 lh
Stiller Tac30 lh
Bartlein 28" MTU
RB trigger 6oz
Badger Dbm
Will be throated for 130jlk
maybe i can post pics in a few weeks

I was hoping for a new rifle in yesterday's Mail and with the current weather,I'll not see it for a few weeks,on my next R&R.

With luck,I'll have 2 show then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. 123 speeds? </div></div>

3,050 is very realistic with the 123's. I've got a PTG 6.5x47L reamer throated for the 123/130's. A friend of mine now has a new 6.5x47L with a Rock 8 twist. Shooting the 123 Scenars with Varget he's getting 2,920fps, ES of 10, SD of 5.

I think H4350, CCI450's and the 130 Bergers would be the better recipie. 2,950-3,000fps would be my goal.

Very nice rifle Whirlwind, looks like it'll be a shooter.

In my rifle, and in a few others, groups open up over 3000 fps in this chambering.
I run the 123 scenars at 2920.
But I may be done with them because the 139 is doing better and may be the winner at 1k.

Thanks for the compliments guys. There are no competitions within 200 miles of where I live and I cannot afford to drive to shoot unfortuneately. This is just a screw around project which I do to keep my feeble mind and hands busy.

Boots' had promised me a 6.5 tube in "a couple of months" when we talked first of last Aug. I officially placed the order around the 20th of that month. His recommendation was for his 8 3/4 twist. Well after a couple of phone and email conversations and still no barrel I bought this one off BR Central forums. Was the 1000yd contour and 9.1 for 6.5x284's according to Boots' and later confirmed by seller. Recontoured it by taking off about .080 so it would fit the stock without further inletting in the BC. Figured I would never perhaps shoot the 142 range of bullets so what the hell and it should be faster than a 8/8.5 with the lighter slugs. Bought it and thought I would give it a whirl firgureing the 130 Bergers should shoot in it and maybe, just maybe the 139 Lapua. For now I only have 123's and some 90TNT's for some pasture poodle trials
smile.gif

wnroscoe- What is the freebore of your reamer? My understanding is that the 139/142 range should have roughly .160"? This reamer was a Kenny Dickerson special for $60 about a yr ago. I am a cheap, scrounging bastard out of necessity, not choice
smile.gif
Dave said it was ground for the 107/123range?

The Reamer has .140" free bore, .294" neck and was ground for the 123/130's.

123's jammed are at 2.79ish"

Awesome Rifle Dennis!!

I cant wait to get my 6.5x47L that George is building for me right now!!!

I was thinking of trying RL 15 and 130 bergers when I get it. What do you all think my starting load should be? There isnt much info on the 6.5x47L..

NOLO

I should be hitting 2950fps via 28" Bartlein MTU, 130JLK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should be hitting 2950fps via 28" Bartlein MTU, 130JLK </div></div>

Are you running reloader 15? How much powder to get 2950?

Got a chance to chrono last Friday with this. Accuracy was good if I could do the switching winds with my 2 best 5 shot groups being .4 and .406. However, pretty disappointed yet with velocity. So far only up to 40gr of H4350 using the 123 Scenar and R 7 1/2 on new brass. Seated .010 into the lands. Two 5 shots strings went 2825 and 2846.SD's were 10 and 13. Will try uping it a bit but don't believe I will get 2950 using H4350. Might need to try RL15 and hope for better.

Had high hopes the 9.1 twist would help some on velocity using the 120-130 range of bullets?????

SD, You said you are using new (virgin) brass right? I always get slower velocities with virgin brass. My velocity is slower because some the pressure is being used to fire-form the brass to my chamber (and I run a min. spec chamber). So with fire-formed brass expect at least another 50 fps. At least, that has been the case for me. YMMV.

Shadow4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Trying to figure out how to pimp myself or an ebay scam to buy one of the SB 5x25's in the FS section. Only solution for that so far is selling my house or my truck
smile.gif

</div></div>

Start guiding Prairie Dog Hunts.

That said, try seating your bullets a .05 to .1 out of the lands and I supsect your velocites will climb. Had similiar problems with my 6.5x284. Lots of pressure, not much velocities. Seated in to the lands, started seating deeper and velolcites climbed, pressures fell.

Nick

Thanks for the dig.Just couldn't help yourself huh?

You and I have had a p dog discussion before and you didn't like what I had to say!!! My ethics are a bit higher than to make money selling the life of an animal that I don't own. I'll take a rageing case of any STD before I will charge money and call myself a "guide" just to acquire a scope. A 'guide' who sells what he has never owned is in the same category as a politician, child molester or a thief as far as I am concerned.

You were coming to SD this summer so....................
Why weren't you out here on the public land enjoying yourself with the 100 other out of staters all fighting for a place to shoot and arguing with each other on who would shoot where and who was there first? Heard from some locals etc it was a real hoot and relaxing. The prairie dogs got an education, all the AR's got a work out and perhaps the Varmint Hunters Ass. will get some new pics and stories. Win, Win for everyone. By the second day they were leap frogging the 2-7 acre towns 30 miles apart just enjoying their hunt.

Thought we had an agreement? I would never respond to any of your posts and you do likewise? Remember I am obnoxious and you claimed if you met me you would probably want to kick my ass???

On a lighter note, besides the difference in cartridge size, not knowing what powder/bullet combo your experiences were with and that I was going on advice of others with this cartridge I will consider your info.

Respectfully,
Dennis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should be hitting 2950fps via 28" Bartlein MTU, 130JLK </div></div>

Are you running reloader 15? How much powder to get 2950?</div></div>

123 Scenar seated .015" into lands
37.5 gr. Re15
BR-2 primer
2990 MV chrono'd over my Oehler 35
ES 11, SD 4
Five shot 100 yd groups in the low four-tenths range, very consistant and no high pressure signs in my 28" 8.5/1 twist Border 5R barrel.

HTH
smile.gif

That was a friendly dig, and I see a sense of humor still eludes you.

My experiance with long range shooting is exclusive to 6.5mm bullets. I shoot the 6.5x55 Mauser and the the 6.5x284 and in a couple more weeks my 6.5x47 lapua will be arriving.

Using 4350, CCIBR2, and Lapua Brass. There is a differance in case capacity, but what are the same are operating pressures, and the bearing surface on a 6.5mm bullet.

The 6.5mm bullet has such a long bearing surface, my experiances show, proven on a chrony, that top velocities con not be obtained by loading in to the lands. When seated into the lands I am acheiving somwhere in the neighborhood of 2700-2750 fps, and simply seeating that bullet a little deeper, I am acheiving 2950 with any bullet I shoot (SMK 142, Lapua Sceana 139, Berger 140VLD Nosler Custom Comp 140).

Dont know if you saw this post a while ago on the 6.5x47, but there is some good info here.

6.5x47 @ 6mmBR.com

This is all based on QL data, wont know for sure until i start testing.
Chamber cut for OAL 2.800, 0.010 jam, 130jlk BN
2973fps, 59k psi 41.5gr H4350, Russian primers
should be a good mild load easy on brass.
Testing will confirm

Dennis: Just send that rifle south for the winter to me! I'll take good care of her.