• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My turn to get into rimfire precision shooting!

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Haven't shot my .30-06 in a while due to really not having a range to strech it out 600+ yards... very sad. $4,000 rifle and it has been out only a few times out to 1,000 yards...

well I found a private range here near me and it's a VERY VERY nice range. it's 100 yards, but no high power rifles or shotguns. that leaves a very nice 100 yard range for pistols and rimfire rifles...

I was told rimfire shooting (bench and prone) is very popular there and they have matches on sunday all the time. This got me all syched up and now it's time to get a savage and a bushy mildot scope.

nobody else really cares in my life except you guys, so i just had to share :)

any suggestions on what to get? I remember looking into this last year or so and I think I had decided on a Savage Mk II. any specific model?

I'm gonna re-start my research now. any input greatly appreciated :)

If you are the type who goes big or goes home, just wade through all the fussing and fumbling with less than stellar accuracy and get an Anschutz 64 MPR. If your pocket book won't stand that get a CZ. If you need out of the box tactical fluffery get a Savage.

If you are the type who goes big or goes home, just wade through all the fussing and fumbling with less than stellar accuracy and get an Anschutz 64 MPR. If your pocket book won't stand that get a CZ. If you need out of the box tactical fluffery get a Savage.

In a nutshell, this. Also, if you find a Remmy 504-T HB for a decent price, they tend to have VERY good barrels.

Not to knock the Savage rimfires, but I would go with a CZ. After shooting both the Savage almost feels like a toy compared to the CZ. I have a 452 Varmint with a Super Sniper 12x on it and I love the combination! If you are dead set on a Savage I like the TR and FV-SR models; however the FV-SR needs a new stock in my opinion!

Skip the Savage. Search around for a used Anschutz if you can't afford a new one.

Anny's are fantastic. Another good choice is the new CZ455 Tacticool.

I'll echo what others have said, skip the Savage and step up to a CZ, Anz, Rem 40X, or Win 52. If you want/need the tacticool stock look CZ has the 455 PT (precision trainer) which is a Manners stock and the 455 Tacticool which has a Boyd's stock. The PT is ~$850 while the Tacticool is ~$450. The CZ455 has the ability to swap barrels and Lija makes a fine replacement target barrrel for ~$400. Typically with the Lija barrel you are in the same ballpark accuracy wise as an Anz or Win 52. The Anz will certainly have the better trigger than the CZ. The Win52's and Rem 40X's are not as readily available, and dependent on condirion can exceed the Anz in cost. However, they can certainly shoot!!

I had read here on the Hide about the MPR and it reputed accuracy. I put off getting one for years but a few months ago I was able to trade into one. That rifle is amazingly accurate and consistent!!! The best group so far was a 1", 5 shot at 177Y. I haven't even shot it that much, maybe 300 rounds, seems like 3/4 of the groups at 50Y are touching 4 shots with 1 shot just slightly off. A friend gave me a partial box of Tenex, two groups were in the .3s with one group in the low 2's.

The stock is very ergonomic too. I found the MPR a good compromise of weight, balance and fit in different positions.

My advise is to spend the extra money now and ditch the Salvage idea.

even though everyone is saying skip the savage ... I have to say that mine is an awfully consistent shooter. even with the barrel visibly crooked in the stock from the factory.

I'm shocked everyone is saying skip the savage. I know so many people use it and love them.

annys are little too much on the expensive side.

MKII FV is a good starting point for $$$. 500 bucks would be really nice to start shooting (~300 gun, ~200 scope)

I am aware CZs are little better for accuracy, and really the CZ455 tacticool is nice at the price range. however that brings me upto around 700 instead of 200.

not a big difference I suppose, but that's how my "honey, it won't be past like a grand" .30-06 ended up costing me nearly $4,000 after everything was done LOL

WHat's the difference between CZ455 and CZ452. just the barrel swap? that's pretty neat. I could have a 17HMR and a 22LR.

and I wonder if the accuracy difference is worth the $400 in difference between the CZ455 Tacticool and PT

Last edited:
If budget is an issue CZ452 or 455 is a great choice. I shoot a 452 and love it. My son recently took it over an I picked up a sako p94s twice the cost of the CZ but also very accurate. Love my model 54 super match Annie but its a single shoot and even more money than the sako. If you want a very accurate all around rimfire that you can compete in some silhouette matches and do some hunting with for the money CZ is hard to beat.

WHat's the difference between CZ455 and CZ452. just the barrel swap? that's pretty neat. I could have a 17HMR and a 22LR.

and I wonder if the accuracy difference is worth the $400 in difference between the CZ455 Tacticool and PT

The ability to barrel swap is the primary difference. There are some minor differences in the trigger, but both will require work. As for the 455PT and 455Tacticool there is no accuracy difference. The barreled actions are identical, just the stocks are different. Yes, a Manner's stock cost $400.

The 455Tacticool is just starting to hit the market. If you are serious about finding one I would start with CZ dealers in your area:

CZ-USA -> Dealer Listing

I just bought a CZ 455 varmint evolution for a trainer rifle, has anyone ever tried putting a 1913 rail on it so i can attach a altas bipod?

What type of matches do they have at the range?

Depending on what you want you can go with the tride and true target rifle, pure through and through shooter.
Or you can go for a fun gun and go the 10/22 route, and still hold your own. If you don't like the idea of a semi auto take a look at the PWS Summit T3 rifle, it is a toggle bolt style of rifle. Takes all the 10/22 parts except for the reciever. Can go with the entire rifle from them and have a rifle that will shoot like a dream.

What type of matches do they have at the range?

Depending on what you want you can go with the tride and true target rifle, pure through and through shooter.
Or you can go for a fun gun and go the 10/22 route, and still hold your own. If you don't like the idea of a semi auto take a look at the PWS Summit T3 rifle, it is a toggle bolt style of rifle. Takes all the 10/22 parts except for the reciever. Can go with the entire rifle from them and have a rifle that will shoot like a dream.

for semi, i'm gonna get a MP-15/22 (I had one and had a blast... sold it for $$$ few years ago)

I'd recommend the Savage.
Mine is .22WMR, not .22LR.
The gun with a decent scope (Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5-20) was about the same price as a CZ.
Pretty well every test I've read has said that accuracy wise the CZ and Savage platforms are about the same...just that the Savage is cheaper...and the finish on the CZ is nicer.
My thoughts when I purchased was that for the same money I'd get better accuracy with the Savage because there would be more money to spend on scope, good bi-pod, shooting sling, etc.
But if I was looking for a gun to cherish and hand down I would have went with the CZ.