• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Wife and her new rifle gathering data ...

MTETM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Montana
TO preface this post...
My wife and I shot in a match together earlier this year. She shot her 223 AI with good results, but afterwards commented that she wouldn't mind a new rifle with a little larger caliber. The current rifle is chambered in a "long" 6XC and she is now shooting 115's instead of 80
laugh.gif

Her only complaint is that she still hates SFP scopes and converting mils to moa...she is patiently waiting on a PST for which she sold her previous mil/mil FFP scope for earlier this year.

4 months later these photos represent the results...
A few thank you's and recommendations need to be included with the pictures.
The folks at Benchmark barrels, my wife said, "they treated me like any other shooter when I met them".
JW Precision for great customer service (even on vacation) and a hassle free transaction...even with a change or two.
Glen and Al at Seekins Precision for offering my wife the use of a base while she waits for a LH version to be available.

My wife wanted the pictures posted only after she had put the rifle on paper and had solid data and proof of how the rifle will shot when she is operating it
grin.gif

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8739.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg

500 yard target is the white beyond the reservoir..
IMG_8740.jpg

2 seperate 5 shot groups at 500.
Both measure 2.5 vertical by 4.5 horizontal. The one without the bull was right by .5 mil.
IMG_8748.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

Rifle:
Remington Action
6XCL Our term for it...
McMillan A-5
CDI DBM
Benchmark 6mm 1:7.5
RAD Muzzle break
Vortex 6.5-20...patiently waiting for mil PST...9 months

Shooting DTACS with RE17

Re: My Wife's new rifle and data gathering...

Good skills! Looking pretty square on that trigger.

1st: Lex is not the OP.

2nd: Do you really need pictures of the mats the gal was shooting off of?

MTETM - great pics, I'm sure it was a blast. I hope I can get my girlfriend to take an active interest in this hobby as well. Nice find, man.

Thanks for the comments

It is great to have your wife as your shooting partner, makes for great times and pushes me to always pay attention...she is getting good!

Side-note, the mat she is shooting on I made about 10 years ago. It lives outside on the platform or stuffed underneath it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st: Lex is not the OP.

2nd: Do you really need pictures of the mats the gal was shooting off of?

MTETM - great pics, I'm sure it was a blast. I hope I can get my girlfriend to take an active interest in this hobby as well. Nice find, man. </div></div>

Do you really need to be a jerk? Let the guy ask his questions and if the OP decides talk about the mats then so be it.

On another note - that is awesome! I wish I could get my wife into bolt rifles, she will only shoot my 9mm SBR. I guess it's just easier on her. Maybe someday I can get her behind the bolt rifle.

Congrats all around, there is nothing to not like about this thread. Please convince your wife to spread the word that precision rifle is a co-ed sport.

Custom chamber and all... wow

Hey All - thanks for the comments. Considering I once teased my husband about all the time and money invested in shooting, you can see I have the affliction now (and really like it). I do wish more women were out there shooting as well and talking about it (and, as you can see, my gun is NOT pink either) I spend a lot of time reading Hide posts over the other half's shoulder, especially when there are lists of competitors and photos from the precision matches. Usually, I can find the lone female in the pictures pretty darned quickly. Another draw with the sport is the opportunity to actually meet and/or chat with business owners like Benchmark and Seekins. I can't think of any other activity that gives a person such access to the industry. Makes it much more personal - like those people are rooting for you when you go for the tight groups.

Thoughts for those of you trying to convince wives, girlfriends or potentials in those categories:

1) Check her eye dominance first - if she whines at you about being a righty shooting left (like me), make her try it. Chances are she may have tried with the weak eye before, missed everything, got sad or tired of brothers beating her and gave up (like me).

2) Be HONEST about the cost factor to her (MTETM had it tough with my economics background) - start slowly with equipment she can use but don't go for all the bells and whistles in the beginning. It makes it much more fun later when she wants to pitch money to the custom rifle cause.

3) Show her the ropes and explain the basic information needed to get the job done. If she wants to know more about MOA vs Mil, then fine. If not, let her just pull the trigger. (I prefer Mil to Mil)

4) Stand back and let her try. It's very hard not to want to adjust positions, tinker with powder levels and the like - but give her some time to get used to the gun in the beginning.

5) My number one reason for shooting was (and still is) getting to spend time with the other half. I had a blast partnering with him at the Kettle Falls match.

6) I'm little - like if you don't look down, you may not see me - so my gun is adjusted accordingly. Easy stock to grip, magazines that eject without jamming hard and being able to close the bolt handle without using all my 118lbs of force. I know these are things anyone would probably want - but when you are starting, they make the difference between frustration and elation.

7) Tell her that just because she shoots, she does not have to be a card carrying NRA member, achieve high ranking SH post status or be able to talk jargon. I love talking about the things I use and understand. But the other half has been careful in not overwhelming me with things other than what comes up in my logbook. Over time, the shooting vocab has increased greatly with my personal interest level.

Sorry to offend, wasnt talking about HER mat...i read in Lex Luthers signature that he sales mats! Geez, smile a bit.. and sorry to the Op, wasnt trying to be rude.

No offense taken,
No worries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to offend, wasnt talking about HER mat...i read in Lex Luthers signature that he sales mats! Geez, smile a bit.. and sorry to the Op, wasnt trying to be rude.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the comments

It is great to have your wife as your shooting partner, makes for great times and pushes me to always pay attention...she is getting good!

Side-note, the mat she is shooting on I made about 10 years ago. It lives outside on the platform or stuffed underneath it.</div></div>

I shot with these 2 at kettle falls and they are the real deal, if fact she demonstrated that caliber wasn't the important factor the shooter is. she did quite well with a 223ai which is no slouch but tough at 800yds+. Now we are really in trouble with good shooter and even better ballistics.

Congrats on the new rifle, i am also trying to get my better half into shooting and her rifle will be very similar 6x47 lapua.

I think your wind flag is broken-didnt think the wind ever stopped blowing in MT?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think your wind flag is broken-didnt think the wind ever stopped blowing in MT?!?</div></div>

Must have taken the picture when it was switching...
grin.gif

Actually, the wind was blocked at the firing point by the shop and the house...but it was calm for here

Nice rifle farmchick, but the platform is really nice too. So much more room than the old terrace.

Congrats to the Mrs.! Both of you sharing the same hobby can't be beat. And she knows what kind of $$$ is involved when wanting to good results.

Clodhopper - I'm quite the fan of the platform myself....had some great engineers
wink.gif

Blackside - very good, my mistake.

I'll work on the smiling.

Thanks..im still a bit new so if i mess up a thread just tell me so i wont make the same mistakes again. Now if i can get my wife to enjoy as much as i do..instead of nagging about all the $ spent! Congrats..good shooting

Re: My Wife and her new rifle gathering data ...

Pictures from the weekend...My wife and her partner shooting in an UKD team match...They had a blast and held their own.
IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

Re: My Wife and her new rifle gathering data ...

Way to go guys ! that is great to shoot together.

My wife loves hunting with me and now has a better bear and whitetail for the wall then me ! and I am Proud of it
grin.gif

the couples that play together... stay together
cool.gif