• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My wife the accountant did the reloading cost ..

RogueHk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
ILLINOIS
For 9mm and 338 norma mag!

costof.jpg

Re: My wife the accountant did the reloading cost ..

Rogue, good job so far.

A few questions though. In that first chart, (and no I'm not going to go and re-do all the math) is that a "total cost for all components on hand"? or is that an actual cost for 6,000 live rounds? I ask, because then you'll have left over components such as powder and bullets. But you can only get 6k rounds out of 6k primers. Yet you list 7.5k bullets.

So that could skew the numbers.

Also, the brass being re-loaded. At what point do you start to 're-load it', as according to your first chart you are using all 5.7k brass, to make the 6k rounds that you're stating cost $0.18 each. So that too would 'skew' the numbers, right?

I'm not nit-picking. I am actually asking for a bit more data, to help clarify this in my head. Unless I'm off my nut, there are other factors that need to be addressed, for a breakdown such as this.

No all his math is right... He is buying in full boxes.. he will have cconponents left over. He is showing that at that cost for what he bought. the rounds will cost .18 cents each. just for this "lot" of conponents. now if he buys more he will need to average cost each. but for what he has on-hand to make a round it will be .18

She's been audited!

The cost of the .338 brass does not appear to be amortized over the life of each piece. Do you only get one load out of new brass?

l have always suggested those who ask if reloading is 'worth it' to not bother. If 'saving money' is the driving motive rather than the versatility or precision custom made ammo then it's really no contest, get your ammo from a store.

Yip. Need to amortize the brass. All the savings in reloading is in recycling the brass. My payback period for rifle reloading equipment is about 30 years. For pistol, my Dillon 650 paid itself off in 3 months.

correct!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broken_Reticle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No all his math is right... He is buying in full boxes.. he will have cconponents left over. He is showing that at that cost for what he bought. the rounds will cost .18 cents each. just for this "lot" of conponents. now if he buys more he will need to average cost each. but for what he has on-hand to make a round it will be .18 </div></div>

We did the math and overall we saved a boatload in money! so yeah you do majorly save but I aint sayin how much
grin.gif
(use the chart and do the math ) I've got about a 4th grade math level arg so I won't even try to do my wifes math. I will however ask her to come on here today and do a little write up to all your questions (besides what's her # after seeing pic's of her tit's in the for sale thread..)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">l have always suggested those who ask if reloading is 'worth it' to not bother. If 'saving money' is the driving motive rather than the versatility or precision custom made ammo then it's really no contest, get your ammo from a store. </div></div>

Another thing to consider is the cost of the labor. I enjoy doing it and treat it as stress relief/hobby, so this is not figured in.