• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Mystery animal

charger23

Captain Hinessight
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
Dallas
This animal was spotted in west Texas shackelford county earlier this week. I am completely stumped as to what this could be. Does anyone have any idea???

Attachments

• FEAF1356-F8E2-4665-8EB9-8A6E21550E53.jpeg
    FEAF1356-F8E2-4665-8EB9-8A6E21550E53.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 497
  • 5D3CE43A-291C-47C9-A5A7-53376506B799.jpeg
    5D3CE43A-291C-47C9-A5A7-53376506B799.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 473
Reactions: WoobieJ
Chupacabra?

Just kidding. That looks to me like a Raccoon with a bad case of mange.

Edit: After looking at the video posted further down the thread I don't think it's a coon. Might be a Coati as others have suggested.

Last edited:
I have a video now. Need to figure out how to post it. I thought mangy coon also, then I saw the video and I’m no longer convinced.

Dude are you really that close to that thing? I dont know what it is but i wouldnt be that close. Whatever it is it looks like it needs put down.

Reactions: 260284
That's Ginsburg spirit animal.

Seriously, a Raccoon with mange.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Where do you live? Any fires in the area recently? Melted fur and a burned face. Looks like he’s blind also and the right side of this face is burned off.
It moved like a raccoon but it was startled as you got closer. That’s what makes me think his eyes are melted from a fire.
If that’s the case, sadly I’d agree that he should be put down humanely.
He’ll starve, be torn apart by other animals or hit by a car otherwise.

That was sent to me by a ranch hand. I would have shot it immediately for mercy. Whatever it is it’s in bad shape. He wasn’t sure what it was and didn’t want to kill it if it was some rare or endangered species. No fires that I’m aware of recently in my area.

I'm convinced it's a Raccoon, and it's pretty sick and obviously suffering. If not mange, I think @Kickin45 may be right about injuries from a fire.

Either way I feel bad for it, someone definitely needs to put it out of it's misery.

Coatimundi. We have reports from hunters that they can be found in the Chiracahuas, East of us, and Huachucas, West of us.

They like altitudes of 4500 to 7000ft, and come down lower in Winter. We live in the Sulfur Creek Valley which ranges around 4100ft to 4300ft.

Greg

Last edited:
Coatimundi, saw that exact color phase Friday in Camp Grant wash (N of Tucson AZ) driving in to our long weekend camping shoot event. My Dad grew up in S AZ and would see them growing up. I saw my first and for a long time only one in late 80's. November 2017 had a pair raiding our camp at night or while out hunting then saw that one last week. Guess they are getting to be more widespread.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Not a raccoon. Paws / feet are all wrong. Maybe something non - native someone brought in as a pet and cut loose?

Not a coon. It looks like an injured coatimundi, if it is not endangered SS&S. If it is, you could call a rescue and see if they want it. Often times they will rehab animals and if they cannot be let go they will live in a zoo or wildlife education center and kids can see them and learn about them. You can give it some water and cat food, or lead.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I though coati too, but it looks like it’s too big

Not a coon. It looks like an injured coatimundi, if it is not endangered SS&S. If it is, you could call a rescue and see if they want it. Often times they will rehab animals and if they cannot be let go they will live in a zoo or wildlife education center and kids can see them and learn about them. You can give it some water and cat food, or lead.

Looks like a coon that held up in somebody's burn pile a little too long

Looks like a coati. We never see anything interesting like that in Shackelford, just LOTS of pigs...