• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mystery black stuff in barrel

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
So I purchased a used gun from an old retired Border patrol agents estate. REM 700, 6mm Remington. I was able to purchase quite a bit of his reloaded ammunition and have ran across a few issues, but the main thing is the gun was filthy when I got it. I’ve run wipe out with the Excelerator through it four or five times and I’m finally getting non-purple patches out of it. Onto the next thing I am including a picture of a patch that has a little piece of black on it and I get a lot of these out of it. I’m wondering if that might be Molly because some of his reloads were Molly coded bullets. When the gun is “clean” and I use that term loosely, it shoots groups like this. After about 7 to 8 rounds, it starts doing shotgun patterns, like 3 inch groups!

Attachments

• 8F9FD085-D7AC-4F75-9142-6FC417C97A2C.jpeg
    8F9FD085-D7AC-4F75-9142-6FC417C97A2C.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 148
  • B0A9E522-D515-47D2-AD0B-D9D7888A98D7.png
    B0A9E522-D515-47D2-AD0B-D9D7888A98D7.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
well he had one but they want $1600 for it. I offered them $100 and it insulted them. It was an OLD hawk eye. Nobody even knew what it was till i offered them $100 for it the next day the daughter came back with $1600. I said you know you can buy a new of cheaper? Anyway I don't have one.

well he had one but they want $1600 for it. I offered them $100 and it insulted them. It was an OLD hawk eye. Nobody even knew what it was till i offered them $100 for it the next day the daughter came back with $1600. I said you know you can buy a new of cheaper? Anyway I don't have one.
The teslongs work really well and are cheap. Crazy to be in the game these days and not have one

The black thing could be something as simple as a piece from a coated cleaning rod . Regardless of what it is, sounds like you need to see what that bore looks like .

The black thing could be something as simple as a piece from a coated cleaning rod . Regardless of what it is, sounds like you need to see what that bore looks like .
If it is there’s a lot of it in there. Why does it shoot dime groups when it’s clean and 3”+ after 6-7 shots? That’s got me baffled. I have never seen that more like just the opposite in my other guns.

If it is there’s a lot of it in there. Why does it shoot dime groups when it’s clean and 3”+ after 6-7 shots? That’s got me baffled. I have never seen that more like just the opposite in my other guns.
How thick or thin is the barrel?

How fast are your shooting?

How hot is your ammo?

-Stan

How thick or thin is the barrel?

How fast are your shooting?

How hot is your ammo?

-Stan
Factory hunting Barrel. Fairly skinny. I shoot SLOW to keep it warm. Ammo is warm. Mid book loads. I really need to bore scope the tube I’m sure. Some of the previous owners loge were Molly coated 85 grain bullets. I normally wouldn’t shoot somebody else’s reloads, but he had the boxes labeled for that gun I bought and he did quite a bit of reloading for multiple firearms so I just figured they would probably be safe. Every box has the recipe and a shot target and what gun they were shot in.

Reactions: stanley_white
Sounds like a job for abrasives , while you wait for the bore scope to arrive . Can you get a look with a flashlight down the bore and a loupe/magnifying glass at the muzzle ? It could need a good scrubbing, could be fire cracked beyond shootable , etc . . Are you seeing any signs of pressure ?

I was able to purchase quite a bit of his reloaded ammunition
I would also pull a few bullets and see if anything is inside the cases that wasn't supposed to be there.

Also maybe splurge on a box of factory ammo and see if you can isolate the problem.

I would also pull a few bullets and see if anything is inside the cases that wasn't supposed to be there.

Also maybe splurge on a box of factory ammo and see if you can isolate the problem.
Great advice there , I assumed factory ammo was already part of the equation .

OK so now I have cleaned it very good and it will shoot the first 3-4 shots VERY well. Were talking 1/4" groups at 100 yds. ( I did this 3 times over 4 days) Then it starts slinging 3"+ groups. Dosent matter what bullet weight or powder. So then I borrowed a Teslong Borscope and it looks horrible for 18" of the 20" bbl. after I cleaned it again. It Looks like its fire cracked and the Throat is AWFUL! Is all the Cracked looking area possibly Molly coating? I have never see fire cracking the entire length of a barrel. First pic is the throat. 2nd is basically the rest of the bbl. Looks the same all the way until the last inch or so.

Attachments

• 6FE1DA6B-F8D6-41E2-AB34-8BC9FE44B6D7.jpeg
    6FE1DA6B-F8D6-41E2-AB34-8BC9FE44B6D7.jpeg
    795.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 8CD5B6FE-5F97-4A86-B3C5-936E53C35755.jpeg
    8CD5B6FE-5F97-4A86-B3C5-936E53C35755.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 75
He means don't spend the price of a new barrel on ammo.
Hell I’m done shooting it. I agree with that. Question is is that barrel shot out with heat cracks or is the some moly from bullets. I got a lot of loaded ammo from the guys estate that had moly coated bullets. I heard that stuff is impossible to get out of a barrel.

Ya lost me on that reply. I’m in the Gun for $450. Do I cut my losses and gun show it or what?
I am sorry for not being specific.

What I should have said was at some point it is probably financially better to rebarrel it or sell it instead of trying this ammo or that cleaning technique etc.

If you throw away all the ammo that came with it and rebarrel the rifle you are probably safe.

-Stan

Hell I’m done shooting it. I agree with that. Question is is that barrel shot out with heat cracks or is the some moly from bullets. I got a lot of loaded ammo from the guys estate that had moly coated bullets. I heard that stuff is impossible to get out of a barrel.
you have a hunting rifle and your results for first few shots seem ok for that purpose. The fact that it opens up after that is more about poor bedding and internal barrel stress. the fire cracking is normal for an aged barrel, especially a barrel burner like the 6mm rem.

you have a hunting rifle and your results for first few shots seem ok for that purpose. The fact that it opens up after that is more about poor bedding and internal barrel stress. the fire cracking is normal for an aged barrel, especially a barrel burner like the 6mm rem.
I never heard that the 6mm rem was a barrel burner. We’re not talking about a 220 swift or a 20 22-250 something notoriously hard on barrels I’ve got a model 600, 6mm that I’ve had since I was a kid (50 years ago) probably got 1000 rounds down the barrel and the barrel looks fine. Shoots penny size groups at 100yds with handloads.

I never heard that the 6mm rem was a barrel burner. We’re not talking about a 220 swift or a 20 22-250 something notoriously hard on barrels I’ve got a model 600, 6mm that I’ve had since I was a kid (50 years ago) probably got 1000 rounds down the barrel and the barrel looks fine. Shoots penny size groups at 100yds with handloads.
I guess it depends on your perspective. The 6mm rem is a beefed up 243 win. It can push a 55gr bullet over 4000 fps at the muzzle.

Reactions: lash and Haney
The 6mm Remington burns barrels , fact . Denial can get expensive and suck the fun right out of shooting . This thread is a perfect example .

The 6mm Remington burns barrels , fact . Denial can get expensive and suck the fun right out of shooting . This thread is a perfect example .
not everybody shoots em wide ass open at 3500+ fps as far as comparing it to a 243 Factory ammo is the same velocity. Your logic can be used to anything if you use it too hard