• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mystery Ranch 3DAP vs Kifaru 22 mag for PRS

shaun1826

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Anyone used both packs? What was your preference for PRS? Is the Kifaru with the frame overkill for this application? I won’t be walking very long distances, maybe 400 yards or so at the longest between stages for now, but who knows, it may be further in the future.

I have and like them both. The 22mag carries weight better than the 3DAP for obvious reasons. The 3 DAP has better overall organization and is more convenient to just grab and go. It really just depends on how much money you want to spend and if you plan to shoot out west or other types of PR matches like Mammoth, SAC or NRL Hunter. If you have any aspirations of doing those or similar, get get 22 Mag.

Not familiar with the 22 Mag pack, but own a 3DAP and it's a fine pack for PRS use. I also use a Eberlestock X31 LoDrag II and it also is a very nice pack. For organization, I lean towards the X31. Only fault I have to it is the issue of it not wanting to set up right when sitting on the ground.

If organization's part of your consideration be sure to look at all of the pouches that Kifaru sells. Those "belt packs" can clip right onto the molle webbing of the 22Mag. They have other options as well.

I use the Coulee 25 and have more than enough room. I like the filet open and can access everything.

I tend to load 'more' if there's room, so I suggest keeping it smaller for that reason. The 3DAP will have everything in the bottom with a lot of room on top, IMO. But it's certainly a very nice pack.

Last edited:
Haven't run both packs, more interested in field shooting than PRS, so take that into account:

I think the original 22 Mag, at about 1600 CI / 26L for the main bag, plus 1400 CI / 22L for the side pockets, is about the right size for field events - it's big enough to fit one front and one rear bag, ammo, small tool kit, cold weather gear, ear muffs, and some food. Has a water bladder holder and port. Also has enough room that you can stow a bino chest harness, as well as outer belt with field shooting gear (trauma kit, mag holder, dump pouch, etc) inside so everything is in one place.

The open sleeves on the side can fit a tripod in one side, and wet weather gear and rifle rain cover in the other. Shooting mat, if you want one for really wet and/or muddy conditions, can stow underneath.

As others have mentioned, the pockets give a lot of options - small belt pocket for small things you need frequent and fast access to, such as lip balm, sunscreen. A medium belt pouch fits a beanie/wool hat and sunglasses, for example.

The PALS webbing on the back can be used to mount some tripod straps, or run some other pockets - a large for cold weather gear, and their Organiser Pocket can carry all of your admin gear.

There's already three internal pockets, making it easy to group similar items (such as cleaning, field gear, ammo & mags), as well as a top pocket.

All up, it's a pretty good layout.

My only gripe is that, once the side sleeves are stuffed full, getting access to the internal side mesh pockets is tricky. Similarly, when the whole bag is full, access to the side sleeves can be a squeeze.

The 2nd gen 22 Mag doesn't have full-length side pockets, just stretchy water bottle pockets. This is possibly a better option for tripod carry, but takes away the ability to use a sleeve for wet-weather gear.

For this reason, the 357 Mag *might* be a better choice - it's pretty much the same-sized main bag, but on an internal frame, so lighter overall. The side pockets are zippered, not open - meaning less crud / rain can enter. Still large enough to run a tripod up and poke out the top. And the internal pockets are better located on the front flap panel.

However, this then makes for a slightly larger overall package, at 3400 CI / 54.75 L for the 357 Mag vs 3000 CI / 48 L for the 22 Mag ... still fairly small as far as hiking/hunting packs go, but larger than most would carry for a day hike ...

And likely bigger than many would need for PRS, given the short gear lists in the PRS loadouts? What you got thread.

However, if you think of what you'd usually take on a self-sustained day hike and add field comp shooting gear ... the 357 Mag might be just about perfect.

Reactions: shaun1826
My son uses a Kifaru 22 mag and has for a couple of years. he uses it hunting and shooting PRS competitions. We were shopping one day and he had the opportunity to try the Sitka Mountain 2700 and loved the fit and comfort and actually liked it so much that he wanted one.

The Shape Charge is damn near tailor made for PRS/Rifle Matches. Perfect size, organization for days and the pockets on the side are super handy for stuffing tripods, spotters, nalgene bottles ect.

You just missed their 20% off sale too.

Reactions: Conrad
FWIW I have original Dana packs I used for alpine stuff and SAR, MR crew cab for current hunting pack (half day), and a Kifaru Marauder from way back that has a perfect attendance record for my deployments starting in ‘04. All of them are still in service.

I’m really unhappy with how much of MR is made overseas now and how they are really secretive about what’s made here and not. Just don’t like it. Just edges me toward Kifaru as I consider my retirement hunting pack.