• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mystery ranch backpack questions

DRichardson

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2017
Acworth, GA
I'm looking for back pack that I can use for most everything. Most usage will come at PRS type matches, but also want something that can cross over to the ruck and team type matches, and some light backpacking and hunting use. I think I have the options narrowed down to the Mystery Ranch pintler or sawtooth 45.

Does anyone have experience with both. I don't think the size or weight difference between the 2 will make much difference to me. Mainly looking to see which one has more usable organization and access to interior.

Also how are people carrying their rifle in ruck type matches with the external frame packs. I found the kifaru gun bearer but not sure a 13-15 rifle hanging solely off one side would be the best idea.

I have the Metcalf for hunting and it’s great, if you buy the metcalf you can buy just the pintler bag and it’s interchangeable but if you buy the pintler complete they don’t sell the metcalf as a bag only option

I have a sawtooth 45 and love it. It has packed out elk, pronghorn, deer with ease. It's a beast of a little pack. I would use it at a real rainy or wet PRS match if I need to keep my bags dry inside the pack. Otherwise run a smaller pack for that.

I have a sawtooth 45 and love it. It has packed out elk, pronghorn, deer with ease. It's a beast of a little pack. I would use it at a real rainy or wet PRS match if I need to keep my bags dry inside the pack. Otherwise run a smaller pack for that.
Can you move a portion of the belt or is it all sewn in?

I have used the mystery ranch pack extensively. While they are very comfortable packs, I’ll say that they really do need to be properly balanced to exemplify that comfort. In general all of their packs are well made, but with a hefty price tag. I just recently got a good deal on the Eberlestock gunslinger II and it has been by far a better pack for carrying the PRS

I already have a mystery ranch scree 32 that I've been using, and may very well continue to use for PRS type stuff, if the larger framed packs seem to big after I get one of them.

Reactions: Charger442
I have had a lot of packs, have friends who are at least as addicted. I and several friends are starting to single fleet on Crossfire. Most/all packs are straight from (mostly Australian) military requirements, but they offer pretty much all of them to us. They have some relationship to the MR guys, as some of my lids are the same design, and interchangeable (though, upside down).

Several variants (not all of them on the US site) but two great generalist packs are:

DG-3. https://crossfirepacks.com/product/dg-3-pack-complete-ranger-green/ I consider this a true "3 day pack" and find that it rides better than a typical assault pack, as long as you have room for the waist belt (I do the way I arrange my stuff). Zipper is nice for full access when laying down. Packed but unzipped, and on me with that same load more or less.

DG-16. https://crossfirepacks.com/product/dg16-long-range-patrol-pack/ Weekend in comfort or longer more austerely. Full sized, without being expedition sized. Replaced my Kifaru, and MR 6500s, et al for others. Have worn this for multi-day up-and-down hills all day, as well as anything I've ever used. Top load with bottom compartment, no front zip/panel-load thing in this size that I know of. Me showing off what I am gonna carry on a weekend in this pack:

Reactions: DrManhattan5160
I ran the Glacier at Mammoth this year, I just carried my rifle horizontally under my pack lid. A few folks with external frames had them between the bag and frame, but had to fidget with their set ups quite a bit between rucks. I'm planning on picking up Mystery Ranch's frame, less pack, for field matches for this year and next.

I have experience with a bunch of MR packs. While they are my hometown favorite, you are gonna want the Exo Mountain Gear. The 2800. It is more streamlined, carries well, and has a dedicated weapons carrier you can configure for rear or side carry.

Edit: I see they don't make a 2800. I swear I have one, because I don't think it is the 1800 or the 3200. Maybe it was a 2200. They changed their lineup shortly after I bought one. Regardless If you can make the 1800 work, I think that would be good for matches. 3200 might be a little bulky, but maybe you can compress it down.

The author has experience with both packs you mentioned. I want the sawtooth but the belt is not removable so I'd have issues carrying on the plane. I'm searching just like you are.

Thank you for that article. I searched for over an hour the other night and watched a few videos about mammoth load out but some how overlooked this article. I actually bought that same rifle carrier to try on my MR scree 32 but was never happy with how much it seemed to flop around. Good to know it should work better with the sturdier frame.

As for the other suggestions on brands. They all look great but I'm pretty well set on mystery ranch at this time.

I'm about to make a decision because I've been at the analysis paralysis stage for a while and keep going back and forth. I honestly think I'll be happy with either

Another point to consider is what you division you plan on shooting when attending team matches such as Mammoth. If you are going to do mechanized (ride in a vehicle) or regular (sleep in a hotel every night), you can get away with a smaller pack than if you are going to rough it in the tough man group.

We did tough man division this year, and my partner has a mystery ranch (I forgot the model), and he loves it overall. His only complaint is the shitty design of the sleeping bag compartment on the bottom. He ran his rifle on the side (~11-12#) and didn't have an issue. You can always offset where you weight is internally to get the pack to balance pretty well. I can ran a Cabelas Minimalist, and thought it did fairly well. It was a little tight on room, but I also pack on the heavy side (compression bags are your friend). This pack allowed me to strap my rifle (18-19#) on the outside and in centerline of the pack, so keeping it balanced well was pretty easy for me.

I called mystery ranch's and talked with them. While we didn't really go over much I hadn't already researched , they were really nice and helpful. I decide to go with the Pintler. The extra pockets appeal to my OCD when it comes to organization, and I like the 3 zip that I've been using in my Scree32 and urban assault pack I use for EDC.

Reactions: Bigrederic
Just a little bit of an update. Got the Pintler pack yesterday, and first reviews are great. Loaded up the pack with some generic weight to compare it to the Scree 32 I've been running and the frame makes a huge difference. The Pintler can more comfortably hold WAY more weight than the Scree, no surprise there. Build quality seems excellent like the other MR packs I have. The 2020 Pintler ( from the pictures I've seen of the older models) looks to have a lot more internal organization pockets and should make gear storage and organization easier than what I've been using. Hopefully I'll get out this afternoon or tomorrow morning to put a few miles on it with a little weight to see how it does.