• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

N 133 with 75-80 grain bullets in 223 and 223 Ackley

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    Anyone using it with heavies?

I looked at 223 load data on the Vihtuvuori website. I found a couple pounds.. maybe 10-15 yrs old on the "back" of THE SHELF.

Perhaps I need to inventory the treasures I have accumulated in 50 + yrs of reloading...and evidently shoot more.

N140. Maybe N150, in a long barreled bolt gun.

IIRC 135 is a little faster/hotter than H4895 (in general), 140 kinda splits the difference between 4895 & Varget, and N150 is just a fuzz slower than Varget.

That's based off experience in 223 and 308, not what some burn rate chart says.

Reactions: DIBBS
    Appreciate the feedback/experiences.

I didnt check a burn rate chart but did see that it gave good velocities with lighter weight bullets.
    I got a few 1lb ers of H4895 but no 8's when it was available a while back, so attempting to extend its shelf life.

I have been running N133 with 75gr bergers and hornadys for years.
    I run 22.1 gr of N133 with a CCI400 in starline brass @ 2850 FPS out of a 26" barrel.
    Throat is long so COAL is 2.378 with hornady 75BTHP.

Incredibly accurate and consistent in my 223.

Last edited:
    Been a regular user of AR Comp in 223 using 22.1gr with 75gr Hornady BTHP’s. Primary powder for 6.5 Grendel as well. Always looking for temp stable alternatives with pricing of ARC being what it is these days. VV seems a viable option based on a bunch of collective feedback here. Molon seems to swear by 133 for 55’s in 223/556.