• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision N-Vision Halo Issue

UIUCPPQ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
Last night the Halo was doing it's thing looking over the farm in the dark, when after about 2 minutes, the screen went black. No button has had any effect since. Fresh batteries have been tried and still no response from the unit. It's still well within its 5-year warranty, but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for getting this unit running again.

Thanks.

Remarkably, after fiddling with the Halo for quite some time, it appears posting this thread has fixed it. I am unable to explain why it was bricked last night and most of today, but it finally started working again after the battery compartment was opened and closed again.

I am a little concerned about this because if it had happened on a hunt things would have gone very poorly, but the unit is working now.

I nearly had a panic attack one night when mine did not come back on after swapping dead batteries. After piddling with it I realized I had to really tighten down the battery compartment cover past the point of general resistance. No issues after that.

Empty that battery compartment. Run external 10K Anker. Problem solved.

Reactions: Max_R
It's a good idea but I still suggest leaving live CR123 batteries even when running off an external power source. The Halo will use external source by default but if there is any problem with the external source (USB bank, etc) the scope will immediately switch over to internal batteries.

Empty that battery compartment. Run external 10K Anker. Problem solved.

Reactions: TheHorta
Is there any drain on CR’s when on external power or when switched off?

Absolutely minimal, close to nothing in practical terms. Still, as always it is recommended to remove batteries when not in use but you should not be able to notice any real "drain".

Is there any drain on CR’s when on external power or when switched off?

Reactions: TheHorta
Yes, it ended up working again consistently when we snugged the battery compartment door down nice and tight.

I had the same problem in my very early model. I had one of the first batch units out there. I sent it in to NV for updating and they sent me back an entirely new unit. Haven’t had the problem since.

It would seem some units are more sensitive to battery cap tolerance, based on anecdotal evidence. The cap is one of my minor gripes about the Halo. It should have a better way to grip it. Maybe a folding part that allows a tighter seal. It’s difficult to get a grip on it in its current form.

The cap is one of my minor gripes about the Halo. It should have a better way to grip it. Maybe a folding part that allows a tighter seal. It’s difficult to get a grip on it in its current form.

No worries brother, the old pipe wrench solves lots of problems. :LOL:

1598111696964.png

@Max_R What is the turn around time on a unit with glass coating flaking off the objective lens?

Thanks