• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

N00b here: Why am I hung up on having a 1/7 twist barrel to replace my 1/7 barrel?

mikeshaw2

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
NoVA for now
I have an M4 clone from PSA that I'm thinking of replacing the 16" 1/7 twist barrel with an 18-20" barrel but I seem to be hung up on keeping that 1/7 twist.

I see Wilson Combat barrels and others with 1/8 twist, but...

Not planning on shooting the light bullets out of this one. This one's for PRS-style gas gun matches with 69gr plus pills.

20.5" is the max for the Quantified Performance middle category. I'm not good enough to shoot open class. Heck! I'm not good enough to shoot the middle category, but ya gotta get better somehow.

So y'all think that a 1/8 twist is plenty good enough to stabilize 69gr to 75gr bullets?

M

If you can find the same barrel in 1:7 or 1:8 twist, why not stay with 1:7? It'll be better for 77s. Yes a lot of 1:8 stabilize 77s, but there's some that won't

Reactions: Jgault
So y'all think that a 1/8 twist is plenty good enough to stabilize 69gr to 75gr bullets?
Yes. The last 15 or so barrels I've had have been split pretty evenly between 7 and 8 twist, with a 7.7 in there too. I can't find any correlation between barrel twist and, well, anything really. The better barrels shoot better regardless of twist or bullet weight. The bad barrels don't. On top of that, all the 7 twists shoot QUALITY 55gr bullets great, and the 8's have never had a problem with 75-77gr bullets.

Edit: just checked the twist on my shortest barrel I've bothered shooting at distance. It's a 13.7" with an 8 twist that only pushes 77's to 2475ish fps, and it shoots very well out to the 720 yards I've tried it at, 850' ASL FWIW.

Last edited:
All right. I'll stop stressing about the twist rate between 1/7 and 1/8.

Now on to 'which barrel?' I'm not accurate enough tor 'the good stuff' while shooting off a barricade, so how are Wilson Combat barrels vs say Aero Precision or the like?

M

All right. I'll stop stressing about the twist rate between 1/7 and 1/8.

Now on to 'which barrel?' I'm not accurate enough tor 'the good stuff' while shooting off a barricade, so how are Wilson Combat barrels vs say Aero Precision or the like?

M

Buy the best barrel you can afford, regardless of where you think your skill level is. Skills xan be improved but finding out your barrel choice is what’s holding you back sucks.

Im a fan of Douglas Mk12 SPR barrels in either 16” or 18” however Lilja, Noveske, and White Oak Armory are also very good.

Im also a fan of the 1:7 for anything 69-77g esp when going beyond 700m.

20220513_190111.jpg

Im also a fan of the 1:7 for anything 69-77g esp when going beyond 700m.
For the sake of conversation, have you tried both 7 and 8 twist on the same day at the same range with the same bullets going similar velocities with scopes of the same magnification? I have, in a few nearly identical SPR ish rifles with 77's at about 800 yards. Zero performance difference could be detected.

because your friends barbie doll has shinny with a new matching outfit and you want one for yours ?

Last edited:
For the sake of conversation, have you tried both 7 and 8 twist on the same day at the same range with the same bullets going similar velocities with scopes of the same magnification? I have, in a few nearly identical SPR ish rifles with 77's at about 800 yards. Zero performance difference could be detected.
I just mentioned what i like beacuse it produces results time and again.

I didn’t make mention of an 8 twist one way or another though id imagine it would be fine

I think I had Bartlein spin my bolt .223 barrel at 7.7 because I read something about it being ideal.

Its a hammer.

4gI1lNml.jpg

PQaaO6Zl.jpg

38kpOHfl.jpg

I just mentioned what i like beacuse it produces results time and again.

I didn’t make mention of an 8 twist one way or another though id imagine it would be fine
Fair enough.
I read it as an either/or statement rather than also/in addition to thing.