• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

N150 6.5 Creedmoor experience with ~120 gr projectiles

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
What loads are people using for 6.5 Creedmoor with N150 and ~120(ish) grain projectiles? Looking to develop some hunting loads with 123 ELD and 123 Scenars, using Lapua brass and BR4 primers.

Just trying to find a starting point to perform some velocity ladders, and then I'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Viht has data. GRT looks like you could send it a little higher than VV max, but it's probably due to lack of case volume tuning and I ran it at 2.8 OAL.
1664472633297.png
1664472609997.png

What loads are people using for 6.5 Creedmoor with N150 and ~120(ish) grain projectiles? Looking to develop some hunting loads with 123 ELD and 123 Scenars, using Lapua brass and BR4 primers.

Just trying to find a starting point to perform some velocity ladders, and then I'll take it from there.

Thanks!
Knowing your case volume is a critical factor, otherwise, we've just guessing. And for further more accurate guesses, if you have any velocity info for this powder, even for some other cartridge, it's be helpful so that the burn rate can be adjusted. So, take the following with a grain of salt:

123 Scenar.jpg

123 ELD.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the responses so far!

I have no experience with N150, I bought it years ago to test with heavier projectiles but never did anything with it.

I measured a case with water, and it was 51.24 grains with water to the top If that helps.

Awesome, thanks for the responses so far!

I have no experience with N150, I bought it years ago to test with heavier projectiles but never did anything with it.

I measured a case with water, and it was 51.24 grains with water to the top If that helps.
That 51.2 gr sounds about right for Lapua. I have info on Peterson brass and they tend to be around 50.6. I used QL's value and with what you've stated, you can see what that difference does to the results as you can compare:

123 ELD at 51.2 H2O.jpg

Reactions: kthomas
Was able to get out to the range today to do some tests with N-150. Tested 123 ELD-M and 123 Scenar projectiles, all in once fired Prime/Norma brass with CCI-250 Magnum primers.

For the ELD-M's I got up to 2834 fps with a charge of 40.6 grains N150 - no pressure observed. With the 123 Scenars, I got to 2839 fps with 40.4 grains N150, again no signs of pressure.

Looks like I can test a little higher charge weights, I'll make another ladder to see where I end up finding pressure.

Reactions: powdahound76
And despite what I posted in my original post, I decided not to steal some Lapua brass away from my match 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I have a bunch of once fired Prime/Norma brass that's been shot through this rifle that I decided to use with the magnum primers I have on hand.

I just loaded a couple ladders for 123 scenars with Varget (SHORT barrel) and 130 Hybrids with h4350 for a 24” barrel that runs 2825 with 140 Hybrid and 41.5 h4350.
May try others if the Varget isnt getting me decent speed with the 123s.
(Got 2 lbs of 2000MR here, Alliant shows 40.2 gr at 2800+ with a 120)

Both barrels shoot 140’s great, so really just mental masturbation to try something else…..

I just loaded a couple ladders for 123 scenars with Varget (SHORT barrel) and 130 Hybrids with h4350 for a 24” barrel that runs 2825 with 140 Hybrid and 41.5 h4350.
May try others if the Varget isnt getting me decent speed with the 123s.
(Got 2 lbs of 2000MR here, Alliant shows 40.2 gr at 2800+ with a 120)

Both barrels shoot 140’s great, so really just mental masturbation to try something else…..

Playing around and trying new things is fun, isn't it :cool:

I actually ended up picking the Scenars based on a post/suggestion of yours in another thread, so appreciate the tip! While I wasn't really testing precision today, my barrel seemed to like the scenars more.

I should also mention this load and testing is for my 18" hunting rifle, to provide some context.

Scenars just shoot.

Funny, loading them up, the Scenars had a much more uniform meplat than the Berger 130 Hybrid…..

Thats some darn good speed with an 18” tube.
Curious where I get em with my shorty. 😎

Reactions: kthomas
Scenars just shoot.

Funny, loading them up, the Scenars had a much more uniform meplat than the Berger 130 Hybrid…..

Thats some darn good speed with an 18” tube.
Curious where I get em with my shorty. 😎

I'm pretty happy, good speeds out of an 18" barrel for sure.

140's were pretty slow at of this barrel, hence the light projectile project. I think the scenars traveling ~2850 fps will be bad medicine on game.