• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

nagging acid

goober

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Auckland , New Zealand
I have a annoying acid problem -diet related I think .
I have a minor nagging cough that is due to acid creeping up the pipes to irritate my upper tract , no burning like acid just a dry cough .Anyone have any natural cures?

Re: nagging acid

The Walmart knock-off of Zantac that contains "Ranitidine" is what has saved me. See if you can find a version close to you. One pill in the evening has solved my acid issues while sleeping.

I had the same thing. Control of diet and alcohol intake in late evening did it for me. Might get checked for hiatal (sp) hernia, also.

some people get an imbalance in their stomach PH from differant foods and such , try taking 1 tablespoon of apple cider viniger mixed in 6 oz water several times a day. The viniger will help keep the proper PH in the body.

this will actualy do several things besides jst help with stomach issues , it will also help some with inflamation in the body and have been told it helped reduce some peoples bad breath

If it primarily happens at night, the valve at the top of your stomach may not be sealing tight. A common remedy is to prop up the head of the bed a couple of inches to allow gravity to assist in keeping you stomach contents where they belong.

Long term exposure of your esophagus to stomach acid is said to lead to cancer. I had it so bad I ended up getting scoped and biopsied to check. Get a handle on it one way or the other and avoid long term problems. BTW, I was totally clean after having the problem over a year. I don't know how long you have to experience the problem before it turns ugly, but it must be quite a long time.

Get a Gastroenterology Consultation....may be more complicated than diet alone...

I agree on getting a medical opinion. Sounds like reflux (GERD, hiatal hernia, etc). Reflux can also irritate asthma. There have been a lot of connections between reflux and asthma. My uneducated, but wake up at midnight coughing, guess is that aspirating some of the reguritated acid causes bronchial irritation. My wife and I have both been diagnosed at different times. She had surgery, I take Zantac daily.

This is the second time at least I have had this over a few years -booze related possibly as I have been sampling some very good Pinot Gris wines lately to my detriment by the sounds.I have my birthday tomorrow on the 1st =48yrs young and will undoubtedly consume a fine Pinot Noir and some Ros'e to start as its 75f and sunny here . After that I am going to the doctor to sort it out as it is very annoying and that potential cancer comment gave me goose bumps.cheers chaps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a annoying acid problem -diet related I think .
</div></div>

Changing your diet seems like an option, I think.

I feared drinking wine yesterday at my birthday which was as funny as hell but before it started I took a gaviscon ,lowsec and a anti allergy tablets , coughed badly yesterday but today I am not to bad at all today ??? much better than yesterday .
I think it may have been the white wine causing this problem as it rarely agrees with me .
I am about to start eating more blandly and keep off the turps for a week or two .Guys have a great holiday

ACIPHEX, that is the best stuff on the market. Expensive but you will never have an acid or acid reflux again. I used to not beable to eat spag, pizza, anything with a ketchup base, but I can eat anything now with no reflux or indigestion what so ever. There will not be a generic out until after 2013. You can get coupons online though for discounts.

Long time sufferer of "Heartburn, GERD, Acid Reflux, etc....". I used Tums and moved to Pepcid Complete, it worked ok for awhile. Sometimes needed two a day. Then my Brother died of Esophageal cancer at 47. At my next annual physical I talked to the Doc about it. He recommended getting scoped (not a big deal...don't be scared). I had Esophagus erosions and he recommended I take a med call Protonix. I started and at a follow-up visit he asked how it was working, my reply was "now I know how normal people feel after eating". He gave me a thumbs up and I said a prayer for my brothers soul.
GET CHECKED BY A DOC. HEARTBURN, ETC IS NOT NORMAL AND YOU CAN DIE FROM IT. RIP Brother Rob.

-Ed

Changing the diet intake is a key. Different people are affected by different foods and drinks. It may be citrus related, red sauces, spicy foods, etc. Raising the head of the bed, as mentioned, during sleep, will help.

Have to agree also with seeking medical help as well. Long term problems can get serious.

God Bless,
David B.

The Irish cure for that is get a spoon of bread soda (not sure what its called else where) dump it in a glass of water and stir then drop the lot in one go, it works guaranteed