• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Nail polish in trigger screws

marksmatter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
ATL
As I understand it, this is the best way to prevent screw movement after adjustment. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It does seem that blue loctite would begin to set before all the adjustments were made.

Do you just place nail polish on the visible screw threads immediately before they enter the trigger? I am a bit confused about such a simple procedure. Does anyone happen to have a pic of their trigger showing the applied polish?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Nail polish in trigger screws

you apply the nail polish after you have adjusted the screws. The polish only serves to prevent them from vibrating loose. I personally wouldn't use locktite unless it was some very 'weak' variety.

Got that - I may not have been clear. You just dab the polish on the threads right where they enter the trigger itself - right?

I use a paint pen and put a nice drop on the threads and down onto the trigger housing.
If the screw is below flush, I put a drop on the top so that the paint is in the screw slot and in the trigger housing threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksmatter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got that - I may not have been clear. You just dab the polish on the threads right where they enter the trigger itself - right?

</div></div> Yes I have been doing it like that for years and it works fine just takes a drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksmatter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got that - I may not have been clear. You just dab the polish on the threads right where they enter the trigger itself - right?

</div></div>

Yep!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksmatter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, this is the best way to prevent screw movement after adjustment. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It does seem that blue loctite would begin to set before all the adjustments were made.

Do you just place nail polish on the visible screw threads immediately before they enter the trigger? I am a bit confused about such a simple procedure. Does anyone happen to have a pic of their trigger showing the applied polish?

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Nail polish dries a lot faster than loctite.

To add to what everyone else said, I took a q-tip with acetone and clean the area before brushing nail polish on. If you've ever applied any kind of paint or a top coat, you know prep is everything, even in these small seemingly unimportant tasks.

You can use purple loctite (222) as well, if you can find it.

Oh, can also use Blue 220- which is a wicking variant- apply after your screws are set. Both the 220 and 222 are applicable for screws smaller than 1/4", with the purple being the lowest bond strength and the blue being a light medium.

The thing that is real nice about the nail polish is it dries hard but will break with not much pressure and flakes off real easy so no need for wire brushes for cleanup. It also does not wick into the threads like loctite. I like that because every once in a while I like to change pull or the trigger will wear and change pull necessitating readjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing that is real nice about the nail polish is it dries hard but will break with not much pressure and flakes off real easy so no need for wire brushes for cleanup. It also does not wick into the threads like loctite. I like that because every once in a while I like to change pull or the trigger will wear and change pull necessitating readjustment. </div></div>
^ exactly ^

Plus, acetone will dissolve nail polish if you get carried away.

I would not use Locktite of any flavor on a trigger.

Kevin

Off brand blue locktite usually works best for me. I just put a little on the last couple threads. Nothing to over the top. Just trying to keep the screws from working themselves loose.

Plus you can get colors to accentuate your rifle accesories...

Sorry, had to put the girly spin on it.
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus you can get colors to accentuate your rifle accesories...

Sorry, had to put the girly spin on it.
blush.gif
</div></div>

Pink actually holds the best out of everything I have tried.

If you are talking Remington triggers, the nail polish is to mimic the sealant that the factory puts on the screws to prevent movement. You put the nail polish back on after adjusting the trigger. If Remington every gets a hold of a trigger that is adjusted out of spec, has the wrong sealant or no sealant - You just bought a new trigger. They won't touch it and just replace it. Period.

Put what ever color sealant back on to match what was taken off prior to cleaning and adjustment.