• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Name a high quality bit set for torquing scopes / action screws

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I’ve got the complete set from brownell‘s (magnatips) but am looking for a Torx / Hex set.

Bonus if its:
- Made in USA
- Magnetic Tips

I’ve come across Chapman sets but it’s not normal for quality to be so cheap… figure someone can point me in the right direction here

There is a company I think in CT that makes USA bits.....might be Chapman you already found.

I will go to the site and check.

Reactions: USMC22
@pmclaine I think it was Chapman made in CT. As long as its good shit I don’t mind it not being magnetic tip etc. and like that its made in the USA… just want to make sure its quality

Just was on their site Chapman is the place I looked at once before.

I would go through them or Brownells.

I have ordered bits from Brownells individually after measuring screw slot dimensions to get the perfect fitting bit. They have served me well.

Those Chapman sets though look great.

I broke a Borka bit once trying to remove a screw on a receiver sight base. Borka offered to replace it but I've never gotten around to it. I don't think it was a tool problem more a stuck screw issue. Shoulda used a press and backed it out.

Reactions: DIBBS
Regards magnetic tips....

Stroke your bit with a magnet, ala Shazam! It's a magnetic tip.

Or

By a bit driver with the magnet at the bottom, the tip will be magnetic.

OP, I have a very old set of Chapmans (25 years old) given to me by my dad when he bought a larger set of chapman. It is been a good piece of equipment. When I have gunsmithing to do it is the first thing I reach for.

Good choice with the Chapman's. I concur with using a magnetic driver or socket. Just as long as the bit is steel (not stainless), it will become magnetic with contact from the magnet in the driver.

Just to throw a couple more options for anyone out there on a budget. These can be sourced individually for $2-$5 each depending on the length you get irwin impact torx bits . Zoro tools is the only place I know of that keeps them in stock. I imagine someone might be able to special order them through Lowes or Home Depot. I use them for work, and picked up a few for the range bag. Not sure if they are still made in the U.S. though. For the home shop, I use this Autobodynow master Torx set made in Taiwan and this Klutch driver bit set chinesium set for the sockets, flat tip and philips screwdriver bits. So far I don't have any complaints with any of the above sets.

I use Fix-it-sticks. If I am that worried about exact torque, I use a CDI torque wrench. Plenty of torx/hex head sets out there to choose from.

Reactions: habman13
OP, I have a very old set of Chapmans (25 years old) given to me by my dad when he bought a larger set of chapman. It is been a good piece of equipment. When I have gunsmithing to do it is the first thing I reach for.
Excellent, this is great to hear!

I use Fix-it-sticks. If I that worried about exact torque, I use a CDI torque wrench. Plenty of torx/hex head sets out there to choose from.
I thought about the Fix It sticks but they weren’t made in the USA. I had a CDI 401SM in the past, was stupid and sold it but have since got a handful of Seekonk Tools (also made in USA). If I can get quality and made in the USA thats always my first choice.

I have one of the deluxe Chapman sets. I chose those because the ends of the hex head bits aren't rounded and are instead straight. I don't like rounded edge/tips on hex head bits because they seem to waller out the screw heads if I'm accidentally not straight on.

My only complaint with the Chapman bits is that the T15 star bit twisted.

The tools accept regular bits, but they do not snap in place.

Overall, I'm happy with the set.

I thought about the Fix It sticks but they weren’t made in the USA.

I like your style.

I wont let a US manufacture use my Patriotism to fuck me though.

Has to be some mutual respect.

Ill pay more but the quality better be there.

It usually is especially on shit like tools.

I have one of the deluxe Chapman sets. I chose those because the ends of the hex head bits aren't rounded and are instead straight. I don't like rounded edge/tips on hex head bits because they seem to waller out the screw heads if I'm accidentally not straight on.

My only complaint with the Chapman bits is that the T15 star bit twisted.

The tools accept regular bits, but they do not snap in place.

Overall, I'm happy with the set.

When I worked on my motorcycle replacing brake disks was the test of a Torx bits ability to withstand torque.

Craftsman twisted like a sweet wrought iron porch railing.

Snap-On......busted those stuck screws loose.

When I worked on my motorcycle replacing brake disks was the test of a Torx bits ability to withstand torque.

Craftsman twisted like a sweet wrought iron porch railing.

Snap-On......busted those stuck screws loose.

2nd the Craftsman being shit. Installed a quick detach kit on an Ultra Classic for a sissy bar and tour pack. Even at low torque of 15-20ft lbs they were twisting.

• Sad
Reactions: pmclaine
I thought about the Fix It sticks but they weren’t made in the USA.
Well, most of my scopes are from Austria, Germany, and Canada. My rifles are out of England, my scope mounts are from Sweden. Taking a stand on an American made torx driver is rather pointless in my case. Made in America use to be the badge of quality many decades ago, now not so much.

I bought the 58 bit master set about 20 years ago and have been very pleased with it. Does not have any torx bits though.

Snap-On bits are really good, but for smaller more detailed work here is my go to>:

Well, most of my scopes are from Austria, Germany, and Canada. My rifles are out of England, my scope mounts are from Sweden. Taking a stand on an American made torx driver is rather pointless in my case. Made in America use to be the badge of quality many decades ago, now not so much.
I hear what your saying. It’s difficult to find some things of high quality and made in the USA. If I can it’s my preference.

Reactions: pmclaine
Snap-On bits are really good, but for smaller more detailed work here is my go to>:

I'll second this.

We use Wiha at work and they've always treated us well, from bits, to screwdrivers to small torque drivers.

I've bought some for at home and have had zero issues except for one time and that was trying to remove a pic rail from a Tikka.

I think Tikkas are built to test the quality of tools 😆

• Haha
I’ll let you know as soon as I find some bits I can’t twist or snap in half.
or, ‘The Joy of Drilling Out Set-Screws’

I have a mac tool bit driver set and a cornwell tools bit driver set. Both are magnetic . Mac part# SBDR123SA
cornwell part # CBS-D122S

Chapman bits are indeed good, inexpensive, and made in the USA.

Note that, because of the knurled end, they also don't fit "normal" 1/4" drive adapters (such as the Fix-It Sticks limiters):

PXL_20210616_182400984.jpg

I don't recall the manufacturer of the bits that @kortik included with the Borka kits, but I found those to be long-wearing and would buy them again if they ever wore to the point of necessitating replacement.

Snap on bits are the best I've found. I keep a separate set at home as the newer bits do have a lot more bite. I've broke very few bits but have wore out a few bits at work.

Fix It Stix, I checked them to my snap on torque wrench and they were spot on. They are slip sockets that accept any bit you put in them. Very quick and compact kit.

1623889173853.png

Reactions: habman13
I love my Fix it Stix tool set. Makes it incredibly easy to torque to specs out in the field. Compact, reliable, and can mix and match depending on what I'm taking out to the range that day.

I bought the Borq or Bork set that comes in a little carrying bag , they retail about 130-160$ . My buddy is a lifelong shooter and builds guns for CZ . It's all he uses , I'm very very happy with it . It has all the heads with it too .

I thought about the Fix It sticks but they weren’t made in the USA. I had a CDI 401SM in the past, was stupid and sold it but have since got a handful of Seekonk Tools (also made in USA). If I can get quality and made in the USA thats always my first choice.
Did not know where they were made. Clever wording, TESTED in Chicago, small print, made in Taiwan.🤨

That is correct.

If we need specific bit sizes for special applications, and we do not have these bits in our stock,
we always purchase Wiha bits as a "contractor pack" of 30 pcs., which is not a bad deal...
I have been purchasing some of the longer bits (T25 and 3/16" Hex) for use with scope rings and chassis. They are top notch.

UPDATE —— THESE BITS DO NOT FIT ANY BIT ADAPTER I OWN… TRIED THE BORKA ADAPTER, BROWNELL‘S MAGNET ONE AND A COUPLE CHEAP ONES IN KOBALT KITS I KEEP IN THE TRUCK SO I WON’T BE HEARTBROKEN WHEN THEY ARE STOLLEN… SENT THE COMPANY AN E-MAIL ASKING IF THEY MAKE AN ADAPTER. EVERYTHING ELSE IS AWESOME AND I LOVE THE KIT BUT WILL LIKELY BE GOING WIHA IF I CAN’T MAKE THEM WORK WITH AN ADAPTER FOR TORQUE APPLICATIONS

Got the bits in the mail today. I don’t have a long term report obviously because I just got them. Bits are clearly marked, comes with some useful references and I added to the original kit some spares (because two is one and one is none). Case is sturdy, better than the one that Brownell’s gives you with the magnatips. Bits stay in place when you turn it upside down and give it a shake. They will likely live on the bench where I have a borka kit but kind of nice they stay in place. Knurling on the screwdriver extension is a nice bonus. The “star” turning tool is plastic and don’t really think I see a need for with each bit having knurling as well. All in all I think there are worse things I could have spend some money on. Maybe after a year or so I’ll come back and update this.

Attachments

• 6514681F-903E-4DC6-ABA7-C538C12597EF.jpeg
    6514681F-903E-4DC6-ABA7-C538C12597EF.jpeg
    759 KB · Views: 57
  • A80E018C-ECD7-4D2B-9ADF-F01B6580F3DA.jpeg
    A80E018C-ECD7-4D2B-9ADF-F01B6580F3DA.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 615B42F5-66AE-4F13-86E4-AC6581B4A813.jpeg
    615B42F5-66AE-4F13-86E4-AC6581B4A813.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 5B6528D0-DC88-4452-85B0-4A7FE9722E93.jpeg
    5B6528D0-DC88-4452-85B0-4A7FE9722E93.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 8491BC82-5879-4F86-B713-E7C88E40CB55.jpeg
    8491BC82-5879-4F86-B713-E7C88E40CB55.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 3546E09C-9699-4DEA-93E5-43FC3A5AD656.jpeg
    3546E09C-9699-4DEA-93E5-43FC3A5AD656.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 521D62F7-1376-472E-8E99-C63AD2417698.jpeg
    521D62F7-1376-472E-8E99-C63AD2417698.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 46DE1940-C174-4D9F-96BB-D10B8F3C1012.jpeg
    46DE1940-C174-4D9F-96BB-D10B8F3C1012.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 51
  • C68E685B-EDB4-41B9-804B-807B2CFD15F4.jpeg
    C68E685B-EDB4-41B9-804B-807B2CFD15F4.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 142BB8D2-2860-44E9-B094-57D035A38B6E.jpeg
    142BB8D2-2860-44E9-B094-57D035A38B6E.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Just sharing my personal experience with bits:

1. Bits made from S2 tool steel are "better" than the ones made from CR-V.
2. Optimal bit hardness is 58-60 HRc.
3. Correct (strictly in tolerance) bit tip geometry is extremely important.
4. Bits for outdoor use should have some kind of coating/plating to protect against corrosion. Chrome plating is very effective.
5. Country of origin, when it comes to bits, is not as important as #1, #2, #3 and #4.
Several of the lead bit manufacturers are located in Taiwan and traditionally make screwdriver bits for many famous world brands.

Also, it is always a good idea to purchase "company name" branded bits - no company wants
its name to be marked on a bit that does not perform well. So, if our bits are branded "Borka",
it shows our confidence that the bits we sell are the good ones...

Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
UPDATE —— THESE BITS DO NOT FIT ANY BIT ADAPTER I OWN… TRIED THE BORKA ADAPTER, BROWNELL‘S MAGNET ONE AND A COUPLE CHEAP ONES IN KOBALT KITS I KEEP IN THE TRUCK SO I WON’T BE HEARTBROKEN WHEN THEY ARE STOLLEN… SENT THE COMPANY AN E-MAIL ASKING IF THEY MAKE AN ADAPTER. EVERYTHING ELSE IS AWESOME AND I LOVE THE KIT BUT WILL LIKELY BE GOING WIHA IF I CAN’T MAKE THEM WORK WITH AN ADAPTER FOR TORQUE APPLICATIONS

I love the WIHA stuff, have virtually everything in gunsmith size lane they make, like small nut screw drivers that are perfect for shotgun bead installation / removal. When the don't have just want I desire, I use blank wood Grace or Brownells polymer screwdriver handles to fabricate them. I use a variety of torque tools depending on the closest range for the project at hand. Unbelievably, I have not used my Fix-It sticks field kit but i did add some Wiha Torx-Plus bits that would be handy for my needs. Any time I see a hex fastener the first thing I do is replace it with a Torx fastener, misery eliminated.

Fix It All In One copy.jpg
IMG_8146 copy.jpg
IMG_8147 copy.jpg
IMG_8900 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 6.51.58 PM.png
IMG_8894 copy.jpg
IMG_8895 copy.jpg

Snap on (aphex, zephyr) and PB Swiss if you are metric,