• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

name that box test

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I took three of my scopes to the range this weekend to run them all through a box test. All shooting was done at 25yds with my 10/22 off a bi-pod (I was working on loading the bi-pod as well, you can easily see my inconsistency). The scopes used were a 10+ year old tasco 2.5-10x42 varmint, 5 year old leapers 3-12x42 SWAT and a nearly new Bushnell 3-12x42 Elite Tactical. See if you can connect the scope with the proper box test.

In all cases I zeroed up the scope on one of the corner targets and the used the center target as the poa for the test. I always started the box dialing straight up, taking 2 shots, and working counter clockwise until the top right corner was shot. I then dialed into the center target and fired at least 5 shots at the center dot. I deviated in a few cases and will note them.

1. bottom left target is the zero before the box test, bottom right is after the test. the first few shots on paper to get the scope zeroed unfortunately ended up in the center target, so ignore that one.

IMG_20110710_211345.jpg

2. bottom two targets were shot after the box, left side was low power, rigtht side high power.

IMG_20110710_211539.jpg

3. Starting zero, upper right.

IMG_20110710_211323.jpg

Place your bets and connect your scopes and targets! You win the respect of all your readers. I will unveil the correct answers some time this weekend.

cheers
todd

Re: name that box test

1 bushnell
2 tasco
3 leapers

probably will turn out to be the reverse....a sometimes the cheaper one works better than the expensive one. although i've NEVER had a problem with a tasco scope so maybe that is #1....now i'm just confusing myself i'll stand with my original guess

Well, my only sort of estimated guess, well at least a slight pondering, is that the 2nd target is the Leapers since it has 1/8 moa adjustments. Hence the smaller box if you are adjusting based on the number of clicks.

Beyond that I'm thinking the first target is the Tasco and the last one is the Bushnell, but that is purely a guess.

So:

1. Tasco
2. Leapers
3. Bushnell

Charlie

1. bushnell
2. tasco
3. leapers

three cheers for Top Predator who nailed the box tests out of the gate. well done!

I was very pleasantly surprised by the tasco. especially that the zero was unchanged by either lots of clicking or magnification changes. I have had that scope forever and its dirt cheap.

i tested the bushnell for poi changes at different magnifications and it held true to zero as well. its clicks were also dead on .1 mil. it solid scope and i would happily recommend it to others.

the leapers i got about what i expected. it has always held zero for me, but the clicks have always been a bit off. as the test indicates. if you arent going to click onto target and only have ~100 to spend, you could do worse.

oddly enough, and i'm sure i'll get some busting about it, i've never had a tasco go bad either on my rimfires or centerfires, even my .300 mag, .444 marlin, or 35/300 wildcat.

even when dented, banged around, switched from rifle to rifle, and generally abused (because the mentality is it's a "cheap tasco") - they still never failed.