• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Narrowed down my scope options... Now which one to pick???

LRSHOOTER0311

Green Eyed Devil
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
So I have a Tikka T3x TAC A1 24" 6.5 CM rifle I just purchased and I need to put some glass on it and I have the range and capability to stretch it out and run it in some local matches. Now, I've had a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 in the past and it was a great optic, but weighed a ton. I'm looking at some of the newer scope options with the following criteria.

My Criteria for rifle scope selection is:
  • 5-25x56 magnification
  • Zero Stop capability
  • Illumination
  • "Christmas Tree" Mil Comp reticle
  • Excellent Warranty
  • Proven tracking QC
  • Good glass clarity
  • Mil/Mil turrets
  • Can be had in the $2K 'ish new to "used" market
So, I narrowed the list down in the order I think I would go:
  1. Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 GR²ID reticle
  2. Kahles K525i 5-25x56 SKMR3 reticle
  3. ATACR 5-25x56mm F1 MIL-XT reticle
  4. M5Xi 5-25x56 Tremor 3 reticle
Which one would you choose?

* Edit: So when I said $2k’ish, I mean’t if I have to dig out another $500 or so I would do so. I didn’t say exactly $2k. *

Last edited:
Bushnell DMR 2 PRO what kicked that out of the running?

So I have a Tikka T3x TAC A1 24" 6.5 CM rifle I just purchased and I need to put some glass on it and I have the range and capability to stretch it out and run it in some local matches. Now, I've had a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 in the past and it was a great optic, but weighed a ton. I'm looking at some of the newer scope options with the following criteria.

• 5-25x56 magnification
  • Zero Stop capability
  • Illumination
  • Excellent Warranty
  • Proven tracking QC
  • Good glass clarity
  • Mil/Mil turrets
  • Can be had in the $2K 'ish "used" market
  5. Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR7c reticle

Kahles K525i 5-25x56 SKMR3 reticle

all good choices, but I don't know that you'll see the NF or S&B on the used market for +/- $2k for a while.

The Gen 2 Razor I had was good, only thing I didn’t care for was the L-TEC zeroing system, but it works for other people. Thought about getting another Razor to replace the one I sold.

Reviews of the k525i are great, big improvement in the CA with the k624i, and combine that with the SKMR3 it sounds like a winner.

Decided to give the ATACR 525 F1 in Mil-XT a try. Already have one on order.

***Edit

Just saw your criteria for “can be had in the 2kish used marker”.

Yeah, don’t think you’ll fine anyone wanting to get rid of either the k525i or NF F1 Mil-XT in that price range.

Reactions: LRSHOOTER0311
While not the ideal 5-25 power range, the Vortex Razor AMG would tick all the other boxes. Great reticles, great glass, proven tracking record, lighter weight and made in America. You give up 1x on the top and bottom, but would you really notice it? At my last match, the Razor never went over 18x, spent most of the match on 15x and I didn't feel handicapped at all.

I've got a few Steiners and I love em. They're built like tanks, only thing is the turrets ain't as crisp as my Kahles.

Last edited:
The Kahles K525i 5-25x56 Is real nice that it’s offered in MOA even though most PRS guys are die hard MIL fans.

I’ve been using and thinking MOA for so many years that converting to MILS slows me down.

For us MOA guys this is a breath of fresh air in a premium scope such as this.

In response to Jimmy Deans comment above… You need good equipment for PRS but thinking better equipment will win it for you in PRS is crazy. It’s much more important to have solid and proven come ups and know how to stabilize the rifle on an awkward platform… not to mention calling the wind with no wind flags.

This scope or scopes in this price range are nice to haves but not a gotta haves to win in PRS.

Save up some more zoards that is what I'm in the process of doing. Apparently pluses and minuses of all scopes get what YOU want I settled on a kahles my rail system and rings set me back 570. Or I would have it by now can't mount it on my bangstick without that. Ducktape dosen't seem to be effective. Good luck by all means let us know what you get I'm sure you will with pictures and zeroed ofcourse.

Newb question. What's the real difference between these Scopes and $1000 Gen 2 PST Viper that checks all the boxes?
The PST doesn’t check all the boxes... The mentioned scopes all cost more than 2x the PST and there are reasons. Get your hands on them and you’ll see why

The PST doesn’t check all the boxes... The mentioned scopes all cost more than 2x the PST and there are reasons. Get your hands on them and you’ll see why
Yeah they are out of my price range.. Hard to really tell the difference at bass pro. I have Viper PST 6-24x50 thats pretty much there just wondering the real difference.

Yeah they are out of my price range.. Hard to really tell the difference at bass pro. I have Viper PST 6-24x50 thats pretty much there just wondering the real difference.
Kind of like expensive tools. You can get the job done with inferior tools but it’s so much easier and enjoyable with superior tools. Or whatever analogy you want use ?. The downside is the cost to play

The Gen 2 Razor I had was good, only thing I didn’t care for was the L-TEC zeroing system, but it works for other people. Thought about getting another Razor to replace the one I sold.

Reviews of the k525i are great, big improvement in the CA with the k624i, and combine that with the SKMR3 it sounds like a winner.

Decided to give the ATACR 525 F1 in Mil-XT a try. Already have one on order.

***Edit

Just saw your criteria for “can be had in the 2kish used marker”.

Yeah, don’t think you’ll fine anyone wanting to get rid of either the k525i or NF F1 Mil-XT in that price range.

I'm military and have the means to get them both in the $2k range. Let me know how you like the ATACR.

all good choices, but I don't know that you'll see the NF or S&B on the used market for +/- $2k for a while.

Military Pricing and you CAN find them at the same price here on the hide, although rare, it's not uncommon.

Not sure if you’re gonna find the Khales 5-25 for 2k. The Khales 6-24x56 SKMR3 is an option though for that price and they come up here used in the 2k Range on the regular since the 5-25 came out. I have the SKMR3 and love it. By far my favorite reticle.

So why not an XRS2? 4.5-30, G3, Tremor, and H59 reticles available, and you can get them new in your price range.

I just can't get onboard with Bushnell, call it a mental block, if I'm being honest... I just can't associate Bushnell (traditionally my budget hunting optics) with high-end competition optics, when there are other names in the game associated with quality.

Add Minox ZP5 to the list, IMO.
If it were me Nightforce all the way. I’ve never been disappointed with a nightforce product.

Meh, I have never found anything exceptional about Nightforce, especially near retail price. My 4-16x42 ATACR's turrets didn't line up and while I express that there may have been some user error in using the zerostop/quick-lock turret, that had nothing to do with the markings not lining up.

Reactions: Alarka
I know it’s not on your list but the Vortex Razor HD is in the 2k Range and is pretty widely used in the PRS game. Outstanding customer service from what I understand. For your 2k Range I’d be looking pretty hard at the Khales 6-24 and the Vortex Razor HD.

Add Minox ZP5 to the list, IMO.

Meh, I have never found anything exceptional about Nightforce, especially near retail price. My 4-16x42 ATACR's turrets didn't line up and while I express that there may have been some user error in using the zerostop/quick-lock turret, that had nothing to do with the markings not lining up.
Hmm I love all mine awesome repeatability great clarity even my SHV the glass is awesome. I like Minox as well but given the choice between an atacr and Minox I would choose the atacr every time especially the 7x35 F1 it is far superior to the 5x25 actar but it’s a lot more money. The Minox zp5 in my opinion has a lot to be desired compared to the atacr 7x35 in my opinion after being behind both.

The 2k range used pretty much kills all of the optics you listed.

$2500 would get you there for k525i and the Steiner.

You aren’t going to find a Schmidt grid2 or a mil-xt used for a while unless you get very very lucky.

Based on your list, three out of the four reticles are grid based. That leads me to believe you prefer something like grid, h59, T3, mil-xt, even if just subconsciously.

Without any other information, I’d eliminate the skmr3 from you list based on what seems to be your preference.

$2k isn't going to buy you a 525 or mil-XT ATACR, even used on the Hide. I don't know anything about military pricing, but I think you're at $2500 minimum for either of those used. You could probably get a mil-C ATACR for $2300-$2400 if I was guessing.

Of those, I'd go with the NF personally. But I don't think any of them will hold you back for PRS.

I just can't get onboard with Bushnell, call it a mental block, if I'm being honest... I just can't associate Bushnell (traditionally my budget hunting optics) with high-end competition optics, when there are other names in the game associated with quality.

There's been a lot of PRS matches won with Bushnell optics. I've run them for years, and I've never had one let me down. If you find yourself headed for a PRS match in this SE this year, I'll gladly let you check out one of my XRS2s. They're amazing optics, especially for the price.

I've got a few Steiners and I love em. They're built like tanks, only thing is the turrets ain't as crisp as my Kahles.
This. I don't know why so many people sh!t on Steiner. TX 5X25 usually goes on sale and you can even find a used one around $1000.

Have you really checked LE/Mil pricing on these guys. You will not get them into that price range, mil price is not as cheap as you imagined.

Have you really checked LE/Mil pricing on these guys. You will not get them into that price range, mil price is not as cheap as you imagined.

He seems to be looking mostly at used, but the LE/MIL pricing on Bushnell through ExpertVoice is... interesting.

Reactions: rsb
Bushnell does have amazing and funny pricing strategies, but not the scopes he narrowed down...

Personally, I think his reasoning for overlooking them is pretty flawed. It's like saying you won't buy a Vortex HD2 because of the Crossfire.

Of those choices, I’d say NightForce or Kahles.
I currently have several ATACR’s, and do not have any Kahles yet. But we’re talking about your list.
NightForce makes an awesome scope, and the customer service is incredible.

Personally, I think his reasoning for overlooking them is pretty flawed. It's like saying you won't buy a Vortex HD2 because of the Crossfire.

Even so, OP seems to have a good grasp on what he wants to narrow it down to the current choices. Different strokes for different folks.

I was the exact same way until I picked up an XRS II on the PX here. It really is an awesome optic and if you qualify for ExpertVoice pricing is really hard to beat.

OP had a specific list of options to consider. If you want to fanboy an optic he doesn't want to hear about, perhaps hijacking his thread isn't the best choice...

• 5-25x56 magnification
  • Zero Stop capability
  • Illumination
  • Excellent Warranty
  • Proven tracking QC
  • Good glass clarity
  • Mil/Mil turrets
  • Can be had in the $2K 'ish "used" market

You've picked out the top contenders here so it really comes down to what YOU want. If it were my choice I would decide which by rating the scope features in the following order: reticle>turret>glass>zero stop> All are great choices and all will have proven QC and warranty so it comes down to which features make the most sense to you. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Pick your favorite flavor and then tell us why its the best, that's what the rest of do!

You've picked out the top contenders here so it really comes down to what YOU want. If it were my choice I would decide which by rating the scope features in the following order: reticle>turret>glass>zero stop> All are great choices and all will have proven QC and warranty so it comes down to which features make the most sense to you. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Pick your favorite flavor and then tell us why its the best, that's what the rest of do!

Great advice! I actually went all out today and put them in an excel spreadsheet and now I’m thinking to go back and use some of your recommendations for filtering.

Also, I edited the post at the top, due to people taking “$2k’ish” as exactly $2k, what I mean’t is $2k and some change ($500 or so).

I was the exact same way until I picked up an XRS II on the PX here. It really is an awesome optic and if you qualify for ExpertVoice pricing is really hard to beat.

I’ve seen the pricing and it’s definitely tempting, I just grew into the industry liking certain optics and don’t trust it enough to spend the money to prove it wrong. Maybe if I’m at the range and someone let’s me handle their rig, MAYBE then.... I could be converted.

Last edited:
Of those choices, I’d say NightForce or Kahles.
I currently have several ATACR’s, and do not have any Kahles yet. But we’re talking about your list.
NightForce makes an awesome scope, and the customer service is incredible.

Agreed and I’m the same, I’ve had the NXS and ATACR and haven’t tried a Kahles yet. It like an itch I feel I’m going to have to scratch.

Reactions: HogsLife

Yes, I have... and can tell you that the new Mil-XT 5-25x56 is doable in the $2k’ish realm. Key letters ish... lol. But it isn’t to much more to where I’m like nope, to much. But in that same breath I have seen S&B’s go for $2k’ish slightly used and a recent Kahles 624i go for $1,700 in the thread practically new! I refuse to pay brand new prices when I mount I instantly lose $1k or more in street price. When everyone like me is waiting on deals, I buy used and if I like it I’m sure it will be under a lifetime warranty if their is an issue and if I don’t like it, I could flip it at a deal price and not lose as much.

This. I don't know why so many people sh!t on Steiner. TX 5X25 usually goes on sale and you can even find a used one around $1000.

I originally wanted to add the M5xi to the list, but... Steiner isn’t as nice discounting their scopes and being military friendly like the rest. Nightforce and Vortex open all their products up and Steiner only adds products when their sales fall of to their discount program. I don’t want the optic they had two years ago, plus I’m not a hug fan of their turrets which is strictly personal preference.