• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Narrowing affordable choices on a 338 bolt rifle

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
As I have mentioned in other recent posts, I have a nice LMT MWSE semiauto 308 AR type rifle which I enjoy immensely. I want to expand my enjoyment by also acquiring a bolt action rifle, in either .308 again since I am already set up for 308), or in .338 Lapua (in order to stretch the range and power a bit). The attractions of the bolt rifle to ME are simplicity, easier attainment of precision shooting than with a semiauto, easier / faster maintenance, and, in at least some cases (e.g. Sako TRG series) beauty.

I’ve asked in postings what makes and models I can or should look at, and some names keep coming up:

Accuracy International rifles – because they are designed from the ground up for long range precision tactical shooting and military robustness

Sako TRG series rifles – because unlike their Sako “hunter” fellow models, they too are designed for long range precision tactical shooting and military / LE robustness, but perhaps not quite as robust as the AI rifles

GAP rifles – because they represent good “custom” and limited volume rifles for long range precision shooting, although they do not get mentioned nearly as often as either AI or Sako TRG for military or LE use

Savage 10 BA or 110 BA rifles – because while Savage is a moderately priced rifle company overall, it is known for consistent and superior production rifle accuracy, and the BA models are specifically targeted for the law enforcement market. The 110 BA is also Savage’s first “mouldar” rifle – built more like an AR than like a traditional bolt rifle. And, the price is considerably lower than that of any of the rifles mentioned earlier in this posting.

Custom rifles built on trued Remington 700 actions – because they are considerably less costly than any of the first 3 rifle types mentioned earlier, while delivering much of the functionality.

I had to limit the choices right from the beginning though.

The GAP rifles and Remington 700 based rifles are out for ME because I buy and sell firearms (and cars and motrocycles) frequently (I like to try a lot of things), so I want a rifle that is a “standard production” rifle with a moderate or lower end of high price range, so that market price is readily determinable, resale is fast and easy, accessories are readily available and KNOWN to fit and function on the rifle, and when a repair is required the rifle undergoes a moderately priced, readily available, and rapid “factory” repair instead of a costly, sometimes “unavailable” and lengthy custom-shop repair. The GAP rifles are also quite costly new.

The Accuracy International rifles indeed appear robust, get great reviews, but prices new start at base prices that are pretty high, without accessories essential to me (like a bipod, and a folding stock or other ready means to “break down the rifle for easy transport and storage in my Mustang car and RV home). This means the “as ready to use and shoot” prices are simply way beyond my funding abilities. And that’s for the “economy models”! The models I really like, like the AX, are completely out of the picture financially.

The Sako TRG rifles (Model 22 308 series and model 42 308 series) have a great reputation, discounted base prices that are high but within reach, and are achingly beautiful to my eye. Especially the green stocked ones. I’d probably shoot one better than some other rifles simply because it LOOKS so good to me. Nice shape and very nice finish quality in the photos. I have heard that the bolt action is remarkably smooooth with no “catching”. I also like the 3-lug bolt, since it shortens the bolt rotation required to cycle the action, and helps to minimize the adverse effects of cartridge cases that are not perfectly concentric. I also like the fact that it is buit in Finland. That means that by definition it is designed for adverse weather conditions – “arctic warfare” without the redesign that the Accuracy Intenrantional rifles required to handle really cold adverse conditions.

But, I cannot actually TOUCH one to see if the feel in person supports what the photos imply. And, I cannot assess the ergonomics, whch is important, because the base models do not have a great deal of adjustability to them, compared to my AR type LMT. If it doesn’t fit, it would be much harder to GET it to fit. Then, there’s the fact that the base models can be bought for not that much more than the Savage 110 BA for example, BUT the cost of accessories that would be essential to ME are simply predatory: $250 for a Picatinny rail (that fastens with relatively undersize bolts for a 338), $450 for a bipod inferior to my existing Atlas (with a mount that makes moutning my Pictanny-mount Atlas impossible), and an astonishing $1500 for a foldable stock. This brought to mind immediately all the concerns I mentioned above about “custom” rifles and the costs and inconveniences involved in owning them, and made me start thinking that Sako knows darn well that selling the base rifle for a “reachable” price is a good financial strategy when backed up with rapacious prices on desirable accessories that are PROPRIETARY in design, and therefore unavailable elsewhere.

When I encountered those accessory prices, I darn near dropped Sako TRGs from consideration. But then, someone mentioned in a posting that some supplier makes a Picatinny adaptor that allows fitting the Atlas bipod to the TRGs, someone else can apparently provide a Picatinny for the scope, and a USED versus new TRG might actually be sensible in price, and most people who appreciate and buy one new are unlikely to be stupid enough to abuse it. So, the TRGs are still in the running, but I know I’ll need to be careful in what I get myself into there.

Finally, there is the Savage 110 BA. The street price is the lowest by far ($1800 or so). It is designed like the higher end Sako’s and AI’s strive to be: very adjustable, like an AR. In fact, the 110 BA is built way more like an AR than like any other bolt rifle. Its closest spiritual brothers are the KAC offering (exquisite execution, but correspondingly super expensive) and the Armalite offering (similar in price to the 110 BA but whereas the 110 BA is merely homely, the Armalite is to my eye, well, not pleasing at all. When I see and pick up the Savage, I think “AR”.

The “features” are really there on the 110 BA.

The Magpul stock is very nicely adjustable for length of pull and cheek height, even though it lacks a cant adjustment for either buttplate or cheek piece. The HK-like pistol grip with adjustable shelf is a nice touch. The trigger is not only widely and easily adjustable, it is also superb compared to any other trigger I have personally had the opportunity to try. I was able to get truly “surprise breaks” on it at remarkably low trigger pull weight. The Picatinny rail is built into the rifle. I don’t know if it has any MOA built into it though. The muzzle brake works well, and is apparently readily removable, enabling shorter transport and storage length, and fitting of a suppressor. And when Savage says the barrel is free floated, they aren’t kidding: there’s probably at east a ¼” or more of air around ALL sides of the barrel.

The rifle comes equipped to accept a Harris bipod (which I dislike) but the adaptor I an easy unscrew from a solid alloy surface on the bottom of the handguard, and a short Picatinny to accept my existing Atlas bipod would be inexpensive and easy to install.

The barrel has that desirable 1 in 9 twist rate (better than either the TRG or the AI). The magazine accepts, and the rifle feeds, cartridges up to 3.85” - way beyond the 3.65” SAAMI spec, so load tuning for COAL in a very broad range would be completely possible.

The rfle, being so modular, also offers “break down” opportunities to make it easier to transport, store, and clean. The muzzle brake unscrews, dropping the OAL by 3 to 4 inches (depending on how long the threaded barrel portion is under the 4” brake). The rear end of the stock would unbolt easily via 2 inches to knock several more inches off the rifle’s OAL, and since the proprietary Savage munt for it is rectangular, not round, it would re-install with perfect indexing. It appears that a much longer section of the stock and rear of the file could unbolt fairly quickly as well, shortening the rifle down to potentially as little as 35 ¾ inches.

Here’s the best part: I took measurements on the 110 BA at the LGS, and it PERFECTLY mimics all the key ergonomic metrics of my LMT as I have it set it: buttplate to trigger distance, buttplate to scope eyepiece, height of scope centerline above bore (with my existing Nightforce scope, rings, and Larue QD riser). The rifle is pretty much perfect for me in terms of net cost for rifle and needed accessories, and ergonomic fit.

So, given all the above, I should probably just get the 110 BA.

But . . .

The Savage is not what I’d call “beautiful”. It's "functional" (although several reviewers have called it ugly
smile.gif
)The TRG series on the other hand is just achingly gorgeous to me. Especially in green furniture. The kind of rifle I could look at for hours.

Ok, so the Savage could be mine for around $2k with tax, and I’d have to buy only one accessory: the short Picatinny for the Atlas bipod. Everything else is good to go right out of the box.

The base TRG would cost me a few hundred more than the Savage, but the extra accessories needed would balloon the cost incredibly, unless I found a used one that has the bipod and Pictanny. And, I’d still have no way to break down the rifle for easier transport or storage, as finding a used one with the expensive folding stock, at a price I could handle, is VERY unlikely. And I don’t get the impression that TRGs break down any other way as easily as the Savage does.

So, even though I am attracted to the TRG, I think it’s like being attracted to a European sports car when there is a perfectly capable, highly regarded Mustang Boss available for way less money, that I can get serviced at the local Ford dealer at Ford dealer prices.

So, unless I have somehow missed any other alternatives, I am seeing the Savage 110 BA shaping up as the most “sensible” solution if I want to shoot an accurate bolt rifle, preferably in 338 Lapua.

Feedback?

Jim G

Re: Narrowing affordable choices on a 338 bolt rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, unless I have somehow missed any other alternatives, I am seeing the Savage 110 BA shaping up as the most “sensible” solution if I want to shoot an accurate bolt rifle, preferably in 338 Lapua.</div></div>

The Savage 110 FCP-HS is the SAME barreled action as the 110 BA in an HS Precision stock, they can be found NIB for + - $1200. I like Savages but that fugly 110 BA stock looks like one big awkward abortion of a creation.

Training Wheels said it right, Savage 110 FCP-HS. The 110BA is fugly and weighs 3 - 4 pounds more. Recoil is rather low on both, as they are the same other than the stock. Plan on buying a 20 MOA rail with either Savage. Absolutely unsure why this didn't come with one.

Try looking at the Savage 110fcp it is a more traditional look if that speaks to you and it's in a HS Precision stock and it's cheaper than the 110BA but other than the stock all the internals are the same.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Sully

I like that more conservative 110 HS BUT the stock has zero adjustability by the looks of it.
frown.gif

That's a deal killer. I need at minimum adjustable length of pull and height-adjustable cheek piece.

Jim G

It sounds to me like your trying to convice yourself to like the savage. If you like the trg alot more save up and get it. Don't buy a rifle that you have to convince yourself to like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds to me like your trying to convice yourself to like the savage. If you like the trg alot more save up and get it. Don't buy a rifle that you have to convince yourself to like it. </div></div>

That's good advice to consider.

Jim G

I love my HS stocked .338 Lapua Savage!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds to me like your trying to convice yourself to like the savage. If you like the trg alot more save up and get it. Don't buy a rifle that you have to convince yourself to like it. </div></div>

That's good advice to consider.

Jim G </div></div>

How many times has it been said "Buy once, cry once" on this forum. Get the TRG.

The 110fcp is a good choice but you miss out on that stock, tactical muzzle break and over sized bolt handle. Personally I dig the stock on the 110ba

One other gun you haven't mentioned is the Armalite AR-30 in 338 lapua. I have seen some pretty good reviews on the gun. Might be worth considering, can be had around the $2k range as well. Here are the specs
Model: 30M338 for .338 Lapua
Caliber: .338 Lapua
Barrel: 26" Chrome Moly, 6 Groove, Threaded 5/8 - 18 UNF - 3A
Rifling Twist: RH 1:10"
Muzzle Device: Highly Efficient Multi-Flute Recoil Check, Very Moderate Felt Recoil
Upper Receiver: Modified Octagonal Form, Drilled and Slotted for MIL STD Scope Rail with Boss to Engage Cross-Slot on Receiver
Bolt: Dual Front Locking Lug
Trigger: Schilen Standard Single Stage, Approximate 5 lbs Pull
Stock: 3 Sections: Extruded Forend, Machined Grip Frame with Vertical Grip, Forged and Machined Removable Buttstock
Overall Length: 48"
Weight: 12.3 lbs
Finish: Hard Anodized Aluminum, Manganese Phosphated Steel
Accuracy: 1" MOA
Included with Rifle: 10 Minute Sight Base, 5 Round Magazine, Bi-pod Adapter, Owner's Manual

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other gun you haven't mentioned is the Armalite AR-30 in 338 lapua. I have seen some pretty good reviews on the gun. Might be worth considering, can be had around the $2k range as well. Here are the specs
Model: 30M338 for .338 Lapua
Caliber: .338 Lapua
Barrel: 26" Chrome Moly, 6 Groove, Threaded 5/8 - 18 UNF - 3A
Rifling Twist: RH 1:10"
Muzzle Device: Highly Efficient Multi-Flute Recoil Check, Very Moderate Felt Recoil
Upper Receiver: Modified Octagonal Form, Drilled and Slotted for MIL STD Scope Rail with Boss to Engage Cross-Slot on Receiver
Bolt: Dual Front Locking Lug
Trigger: Schilen Standard Single Stage, Approximate 5 lbs Pull
Stock: 3 Sections: Extruded Forend, Machined Grip Frame with Vertical Grip, Forged and Machined Removable Buttstock
Overall Length: 48"
Weight: 12.3 lbs
Finish: Hard Anodized Aluminum, Manganese Phosphated Steel
Accuracy: 1" MOA
Included with Rifle: 10 Minute Sight Base, 5 Round Magazine, Bi-pod Adapter, Owner's Manual </div></div>

I actually mentioned it very briefly above.

I normally like Armalite rifles a lot. I had an AR-10 TC that was remarkably accurate and that I got to fit me well, and the quality overall was very good. However, I simply do not like the appearance of the AR-30. To me, it seems too minimalist in its design. I like a rifle that has more visual substance to it.

I realize that I may be passing up a good rifle there, but I "shoot better" when shooting a gun I really like the appearance and fit of.

Jim G

I managed to find an online pdf of the TRG manual, and it appears that removing the stock from the rest of the rifle is remarkably easy (2 bolts), and that appears to cute about a foot off the OAL for transport and storage. That works for me!

The TRG now is much stronger in the overall running, as I can get my Atlas bipod mounted inexpensively ($50 at worst), can get a badger Picatinny for $150 plus shipping, and now find I can shorten the rifle to just over 3 feet OAL easily for transport and storage.

Just need to find a good price on a new or used TRG 42 now. Preferably in green. Or, get the Savage 110 BA. I think I'd really prefer the TRG, but we'll see what deals are out there on both rifles.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I managed to find an online pdf of the TRG manual, and it appears that removing the stock from the rest of the rifle is remarkably easy (2 bolts), and that appears to cute about a foot off the OAL for transport and storage. That works for me!

The TRG now is much stronger in the overall running, as I can get my Atlas bipod mounted inexpensively ($50 at worst), can get a badger Picatinny for $150 plus shipping, and now find I can shorten the rifle to just over 3 feet OAL easily for transport and storage.

Just need to find a good price on a new or used TRG 42 now. Preferably in green. Or, get the Savage 110 BA. I think I'd really prefer the TRG, but we'll see what deals are out there on both rifles.

Jim G </div></div>
Eurooptic.com has a used trg42 in 338 but its black.

YES , providing it is a TRG-22 or 42 , then the rear stock is easy to remove by loosening two bolts .

On the older 21/41 models one of these takedown bolts is obscured by the trigger mech , so on the older models , the trigger mech ( only 1x bolt ) needs removing as well as the 2x stock bolts .

Its dead simple .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Eurooptic.com has a used trg42 in 338 but its black. </div></div>

I just called Eurooptic and asked. That used TRG sold earlier today. The new ones start at $2600 and that is without the rail, brake, etc. Bare bones.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TRG now is much stronger in the overall running, can get a badger Picatinny for $150 plus shipping, and now find I can shorten the rifle to just over 3 feet OAL easily for transport and storage.
</div></div>

Get ahold of Cameron at Murphy Precision. Even if you don't see it listed on his site, he can make it for you. It'll save you $25 and you can get <span style="color: #FF0000">ANY</span> slope you want. if you want a 37.5 moa rail, HE'LL DO IT.

Great guy to deal with, excellent product and fast turn around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that more conservative 110 HS BUT the stock has zero adjustability by the looks of it.
frown.gif

That's a deal killer. I need at minimum adjustable length of pull and height-adjustable cheek piece.
Jim G </div></div>

Call Savage and ask them how much for a 110FCP in a McMillan A-3 or A-5 adjustable, they do custom orders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that more conservative 110 HS BUT the stock has zero adjustability by the looks of it.
frown.gif

Jim G </div></div>

You could put a Cheek Rest on the 110FCP.

Savage_110FCP_knarwdf.jpg

Not quite what you are asking for, but here os something else to think about.

If you might sayin the next couple years get into several bolt guns - maybe a 308, 300 Win Mag, 338 L, etc, you might consider a DTA SRS. More expensive now, but maybe cheaper in the long run since you just add caliber conversion kits (~$1500). Plus, you just use one scope.

Not what you are asking for, but I wish I had bought a DTA before I bought two other customs of different calibers.

TrainingWheels and Dstewart51: I didn't know those options even existed for the Savage! Thank-you.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not quite what you are asking for, but here os something else to think about.

If you might sayin the next couple years get into several bolt guns - maybe a 308, 300 Win Mag, 338 L, etc, you might consider a DTA SRS. More expensive now, but maybe cheaper in the long run since you just add caliber conversion kits (~$1500). Plus, you just use one scope.

Not what you are asking for, but I wish I had bought a DTA before I bought two other customs of different calibers. </div></div>

Interesting. I do like the easy caliber changeability, and the easier cleaning that the removable barrel enables. I use that feature on my LMT MWSE whenever I want to do a really thorough cleaning, as it enables WAY better access to the locking lugs, chamber, and receiver interior.

But, it does not have the reputation (at least yet) that the TRG series and the Savage 110 BA have, and I'm not sure how I feel about a bullpup design in a strong caliber like 338 Lapua, even though it does make the rifle dramatically shorter. It places a very powerful cartridge containing 90 grains of powder right beside your face, where the noise level will be accentuated and the dangers encountered are much greater if something goes wrong during the ignition process. I am leaning more to a more conventional solution until some other users have proven the product. Also, the intiial cost is VERY high when you combine the chassis cost and the conversion kit required to make it into a rifle.

Jim G

HS Precision also sells spacers for the stock so you can adjust your LoP.

I got a chance to handle a TRG 42 in person today at a local shop. NICE rifle.

I love the fit and finish and styling. Very robust looking and sophisticated at the same time. The bolt action was liquid smooth. The trigger was not as impressive as on the Savage 110 BA, but very good. If I hadn't experienced the trigger on the 110 BA, I'd have called the TRG trigger excellent. The rifle handled really well despite it long overall length - certainly far more nimble than the portable-cannon-like 110 BA. The fit to my body was excellent.

The sole negative I could find is that the adjustments available are at best very basic. Length of pull is adjustable only via spacers??? The cheek piece is adjustable for both height and side displacement, but the adjustments are, well, basic.

Overall, a great rifle. Love to have one.

Jim G

One option you didn't mention is a custom barreled action in an aftermarket chassis.

Figure $800 or so for a McRees or XLR chassis, $1500-1700 for a barreled action. So, a little less than a TRG.

Something to think about.

I LOVE THIS GUN, just check my posts!!
DSC01113.jpg

300 yards targets

Col2fin.jpg

See my other posts. NOw that I have the load down, we were banging steel out to a mile and hitting 99 percent of the shots. And the shots were across 3 canyons!!

Diego

I wouldn't say that the 110ba looks fugly. Definitely not traditional and very taticool which turns people off. But a good friend of mine has the 308 version and it is a solid shooter. For the money, you get the brake, the picatinny mount, and a detachable mag. So it's not a bad value. Unless they've changed this from a couple years ago... the propietary mags are a big downside imo, but not a deal breaker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't say that the 110ba looks fugly. Definitely not traditional and very taticool which turns people off. But a good friend of mine has the 308 version and it is a solid shooter. For the money, you get the brake, the picatinny mount, and a detachable mag. So it's not a bad value. Unless they've changed this from a couple years ago... the propietary mags are a big downside imo, but not a deal breaker. </div></div>

I agree. The look of the 110 BA is actually "conservative" for military sniper rifles. That high quality Magpul adjustable stock is excellent. The pistol grip with adjsutable palm shelf is also excellent (and very similar to the respected Heckler & Koch precision sniper rifle). The muzzle brake is well thought out (avoids dust cloud upon firing by having the bottom ports obstructed). The trigger is first rate - better than any other I have tried.

Having handled and comapred now both the Savage 110 BA and the Sako TRG 42, I'd say:

- The Savage trigger is better
- The savage stock is infinitely better
- The pistol grip with shelf is a big plus
- The "accessory features" are good and included in the base price (brake, scope Pictanny rail)
- The higher weight dampens recoil
- The higher weight improves shot precision

- The TRG ergonomics and feel are very superior - the experience in designing sniper rifles shows
- The fit and finish of the TRG are very superior. Finished versus industrial
- The appearance of the TRG is, to my eyes, very superior. Very sleek and beautiful. Jaeguar versus Mustang Boss
- The bolt action is infinitely smoother than on the 110 BA. The 110 BA I handled "catches" every time
- The bolt action is 3-lug versus 2, which means less rotation required and notably less affected by non-concentricity in ammunition cases
- The lighter weight enables it to be handled like a regular rifle, whereas the 110 BA is more of a portable cannon
- A "snap shot" is impossible with the 110 BA due to the weight and weight distribution, but possible with the TRG
- I could picture carrying the TRG some distance, but not the 110 BA
- Cleaning the etxerior of the TRG is WAY easier just due to the TRG smoothness versus the 110 BA industrial design

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaky1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Training Wheels said it right, Savage 110 FCP-HS. The 110BA is fugly and weighs 3 - 4 pounds more. Recoil is rather low on both, as they are the same other than the stock. Plan on buying a 20 MOA rail with either Savage. Absolutely unsure why this didn't come with one.</div></div>

110 BA has a built-in 20 MOA rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the propietary mags are a big downside imo, but not a deal breaker. </div></div>

IIRC the magazines are from Accutrate Mag www.accurate-mag.com and several people have said they are the same profile as the AI mags, maybe one of the 110BA owners can chime in and confirm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the propietary mags are a big downside imo, but not a deal breaker. </div></div>

IIRC the magazines are from Accutrate Mag www.accurate-mag.com and several people have said they are the same profile as the AI mags, maybe one of the 110BA owners can chime in and confirm. </div></div>

Yes, the Factory Savage 110BA and 110FCP Mags are the "LONG" 3.850(outside) Accurate Mag's.

The TRG mags cost $175+ each. How much do the Accurate mags for the Savage 110 BA cost each?

Jim G

Looks from the website like the Accurate mags sell for $85 (less for the "shorter" ones - $78).

That's half the cost of the TRG mags.

Jim G

I just spoke with a dealer who used to sell a lot of the TRGs but has become disenchanted with the product because of Beretta (Beretta has the exclusive U.S. import rights). He appears to think that Beretta does not know the product and the rifle to the degree that the demanding high-end precision rifle market requires, so he blew out much of his TRG product months ago, and now still carries the product, but is not what I'd call enthused. He wants several hundred more for his lowest priced TRG than the prices I have seen elsewhere.

he did mention something that alarmed me. he said that TRG used to make the Model 42 338 Lapua in a 1 in 12 twist, and, he claims, made the change to 1 in 10 twist as a running change, with no model number or serial number demarcation. He insists that many of the TRG 42s now being sold are "new old stock" with the 1 in 12 twist, and suggested I make certain I am getting a 1 in 10 twist if I buy one.

The entire conversation tilted the TRG 42 candidacy a little downward again, as I now see the following pluss and minuses for it versus the Savage 110 BA:

- Better 3-lug bolt than the Savage's 2-lug bolt
- Better ergonomics (although the Savage's are fine too)
- Way better handling due to lighter weight
- More carryable (notably so)
- Way better fit and finish, especially in the bolt smoothness
- More aesthetically pleasing
- Breaks down to a notably shorter length a bit easier than the 110 BA

but . . .

- Way more initial rifle cost
- All essential (to me) options are extras: scope Picatinny rail, muzzle brake,mount adaptor for my existing Atlas bipod
- Accessories in general are more costly, even aftermarket, due to proprietary Sako features
- Magazines cost twice as much as Savage magazines
- Does not have the longer COAL capabilities of the Savage, due to shorter magazine
- Less sophisticated adjustments on the stock than the 110 BA
- Harder to resell if I ever want to, simply because it is in a higher price range with fewer potential buyers
- Importer may not understand or cherish this market segment, introducing the disadvantages of foreign manufacture coupled with undedicated importer, implying warranty or non-warranty service if ever needed might not be great
- Possiblity of getting a 1 in 12 twist barrel unless I take extra precautions
- No extra accuracy for the extra cost?

It really IS looking to me like a Jaguar versus a Mustang Boss.

Having done the research, this is not as easy a decision as some might have thought.

Am I missing anything? Or misinterpreting or overreacting to anything?

Jim G

Ok, here is how I see it.

The Savage makes a great entry 338LM. The Savage will likely meet your expectations as far as accuracy.

The Sako is a more refined rifle. Thats what the extra cost is getting you. Its still not a custom and may not shoot any better than the Savage. Is the refinement worth it to you? I think if it was you wouldn't be so complexed.

For me, I decided to go with the Savage as an entry level long range rifle. Later, when I have some more experience and I know more about what I want exactly, I can build a quality custom. For now I'm just learning and my Savage is perfect for me.

What are the odds?

Today I had a medical test process long enough to require me to miss most of the day at work, and be within 30 minutes of the range after the testing was completed. So, I have my rifle in the trunk of the car, and I show up at the range. There in the very first bay by the entryway, is an experienced shooter firing prone a TRG 42 in 338 Lapua - tan furniture, TRG muzzle brake, scope rail, and Burris scope!

I immediately start asking all sorts of questions, and he graciously answers them all. Then, hearing that I am seriously considering getting one, he offers me two cartridges and says "try shooting a couple of rounds with it".

Now, I am not (yet) a great shooter with a rifle - lots of handgun experience, but only took up precision rifle some weeks ago. I have practiced with my LMT semiauot, but never a bolt rifle. I have never fired from prone with a rifle. And, today, I had not yet fired a single shot from ANY firearm.

Nevertheless, I got down on the mat, loaded a round, and found that I could get a natural POA remarkably quickly. No fussing required. I applied the same techniques as I have been taught here on this forum, including pulling the stock into the shoulder, pushing forward on the bipod, and keeping a relaxed hold on the pistol grip.

The results of the 2 quick shots were 2 holes whose center-to-center distance was 9/16 inch. I was incredulous.

Then I realized something else: I had not been conscious of any recoil. Despite this rifle's modest weight (for a 338 Lapua rifle), it fired like a pussycat. Even from prone, where your body cannot move to help absorb the recoil. I could shoot this all day no problem.

The ammunition was NOT a hand load. The owner is currently firing Hornady factory ammo that he buys for about $4.50 per round.

I gave the nice man a $10 bill to pay for the 2 rounds (he declined but I insisted - a 338 Lapua shooter shooting FACTORY ammo can't afford to give it away, and I really appreciated this easy, low cat way to "test fire" a possible acquisition.

I'm pretty impressed. If I could shoot like that the very first 2 shots, I suspect a little practice might produce some really spectacular results.

I need to get me one of these.
smile.gif

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having handled and comapred now both the Savage 110 BA and the Sako TRG 42, I'd say:

- The Savage trigger is better

Jim G </div></div>

You must have been messing with one that was not tuned correctly or are just unfamiliar with a 2 stage trigger. While there is no doubt that a single stage trigger set well will present zero creep, which is what I am assuming you are misjudging for the first stage of the TRG pull, the TRG trigger is indisputably one of the top two, if not the best factory trigger on the market.

Josh

Just to be an asshat, if affordability is a concern, why are you choosing one of the most expensive cartridges to purchase/reload? Using the example you gave above, 550 rounds at $4.50 costs the same as a TRG at $2500. Just askin'...

338 Lapua FACTORY rounds cost $4.50 to $6 each. But, hand loads cost $1.15 each, even with very high quality components, if you source your components with some attention.

I spoke at length with a 338 Lapua shooter today who spends an average of $1.12 per round, with a mix of both 259g Scenar and 300 g bullets.

The ballistics are intriguing and compelling, and the recoil, with brake, is astonishingly low.

This is about double the ammo hand loaded cost of 308, which is notable, but when you shoot 30 to 40 rounds per session like I do, it's not insurmountable, and you spend it a bit at a time, not in one big chunk.

I managed to find a pretty acceptable deal on a TRG today, complete with 2 out of 3 of the accessories I need. The new adventure has begun.

Jim G