• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NASA: aliens might kill us for polluting too much

Fred_C_Dobbs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
Would you book a flight to the moon in a rocket built by these jackasses?

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, say scientists</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rising greenhouse emissions may tip off aliens that we are a rapidly expanding threat, warns a report for Nasa
</span>

Ian Sample, science correspondent
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 18 August 2011 19.04 BST

It may not rank as the most compelling reason to curb greenhouse gases, but reducing our emissions might just save humanity from a pre-emptive alien attack, scientists claim.

Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth's atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilisation growing out of control – and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.

This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by scientists at Nasa and Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future.

Shawn Domagal-Goldman of Nasa's Planetary Science Division and his colleagues compiled a list of plausible outcomes that could unfold in the aftermath of a close encounter, to help humanity "prepare for actual contact".

In their report, Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis, the researchers divide alien contacts into three broad categories: beneficial, neutral or harmful.

Beneficial encounters ranged from the mere detection of extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI), for example through the interception of alien broadcasts, to contact with cooperative organisms that help us advance our knowledge and solve global problems such as hunger, poverty and disease.

Another beneficial outcome the authors entertain sees humanity triumph over a more powerful alien aggressor, or even being saved by a second group of ETs. "In these scenarios, humanity benefits not only from the major moral victory of having defeated a daunting rival, but also from the opportunity to reverse-engineer ETI technology," the authors write.

Other kinds of close encounter may be less rewarding and leave much of human society feeling indifferent towards alien life. The extraterrestrials may be too different from us to communicate with usefully. They might invite humanity to join the "Galactic Club" only for the entry requirements to be too bureaucratic and tedious for humans to bother with. They could even become a nuisance, like the stranded, prawn-like creatures that are kept in a refugee camp in the 2009 South African movie, District 9, the report explains.

The most unappealing outcomes would arise if extraterrestrials caused harm to humanity, even if by accident. While aliens may arrive to eat, enslave or attack us, the report adds that people might also suffer from being physically crushed or by contracting diseases carried by the visitors. In especially unfortunate incidents, humanity could be wiped out when a more advanced civilisation accidentally unleashes an unfriendly artificial intelligence, or performs a catastrophic physics experiment that renders a portion of the galaxy uninhabitable.

To bolster humanity's chances of survival, the researchers call for caution in sending signals into space, and in particular warn against broadcasting information about our biological make-up, which could be used to manufacture weapons that target humans. Instead, any contact with ETs should be limited to mathematical discourse "until we have a better idea of the type of ETI we are dealing with."

The authors warn that extraterrestrials may be wary of civilisations that expand very rapidly, as these may be prone to destroy other life as they grow, just as humans have pushed species to extinction on Earth. In the most extreme scenario, aliens might choose to destroy humanity to protect other civilisations.

"A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilisation may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilisational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of the Earth's atmosphere, via greenhouse gas emissions," the report states.

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

Even if we never make contact with extraterrestrials, the report argues that considering the potential scenarios may help to plot the future path of human civilisation, avoid collapse and achieve long-term survival.

Re: NASA: aliens might kill us for polluting too much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rising greenhouse emissions may tip off aliens that we are a rapidly expanding threat, warns a report for Nasa
</span>
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism</span>

(Looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing)

"NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth's atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing. The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.

Study co-author Dr. Roy Spencer, a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA's Aqua satellite, reports that real-world data from NASA's Terra satellite contradict multiple assumptions fed into alarmist computer models."

more:http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html

Side note: Haven't there been a ton of movies coming out with this exact same plot? I.e. the Keanu Reeves one where he destroys the world because we didn't take care of it...

I think that we found a solution to some of the government's budget problems based on that article...eliminate NASA altogether and use the billions of dollars that they are paying employees to come up with @#$% like that and spend it on creating REAL jobs that have some meaningful benefit for US citizens!!
wink.gif

The day the earth stood still, remake - libtard anti-climate change movie..

I personally believe Aliens have been watching this place for many years already....I think if they wanted to destroy us, it would not take much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations,</div></div>

Or maybe they'll just break windows and steal flat screen TVs!

I've always pondered the idea of extraterrestrial life. Lets face it, the military/govt hides alot of shit. Moreso than I even expected it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always pondered the idea of extraterrestrial life. Lets face it, the military/govt hides alot of shit. Moreso than I even expected it too. </div></div>

Don't go far down that dead-end limb.

X-Files literary exercises notwithstanding, the innernet and cell phones (especially with cameras) have made it even harder for us blabbermouths to keep a secret.

My Dad used to guard nuclear secrets, at more than one site and in more than one state. That alien stuff just ain't there, but a cock 'n bull story he told a very annoying newbie after something like the third trip past a nondescript plywood shack with an ordinary padlock on a hasp...well, that story turned up on the Art Bell radio show a few short years later as another "I was there" story about where they keep the UFO parked. Don't know whether the caller was that same impressionable idiot short-timer guard, or someone else who heard is wild-eyed story somewhere down the gossip line.

We couldn't keep our nuclear secrets from the Soviets for even three years after Trinity.

The problem now is we get delusional nuts like Lazar blabbing about made-up stories, which wastes a lot of bandwidth.

NASA should get back to putting together the next orbital launch vehicle and plan that Mars mission. Sure the times are now wrong and it will take more months and more food and fuel to get there, but THAT would actually create new, decent jobs with benefits and stimulate the economy.

Aliens with the tech to make it across the universe aren't going to crash when they get here. They also aren't going to do half of the cock & ball shit we see in movies like getting killed or shot down by a F-18s or having to use our own satellites to communicate. If there is to be killing it will be them wiping us out in a blink, none of this Battle LA/Falling Skies roaming the streets horse-shit.

Turns out the NASA story posted by the OP was written by a NASA employee but wasn't an official NASA publication.

The day that an entire alien civilization (it would take an entire one...) actually managed to prove Einstein wrong and crossed several thousand light-years to reach us, but decided we're not worth dealing with because we're not tree huggers is the day I finally run outta words. (Eskoose me, but what's a..., how you say..., tree?...)

Not that likely all that soon, eh...?

Besides, if they really want to end us, all they really gotta do is divert an asteroid our way. Done, and done...

I like Sci-Fi, but really, any hostile alien invasion that doesn't begin with a planet killer is just small change....; they just don't have the stones...

Why would they consider us an expanding threat. We can't even get back to the moon or make it to Mars. We can't even threaten our own solar system so i doubt we would be a threat to a fantasy alien race.

Jim

The worse thing about the NASA report is it's gonna cause a rash of Zombi Treads (or alien) on gun forums.

I hate zombi threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The worse thing about the NASA report is it's gonna cause a rash of Zombi Treads (or alien) on gun forums.

I hate zombi threads. </div></div>

BTW what is the best round for alien zombies?

Jim

When they flush the toilet on the sace station........ever wonder where the crap goes?

SPACE.....the new cesspool.

aliens will return and raise our dead as zomby horde army to slay us all and with each kill they gain a zomby teammate to their throng. thats how angels make war yo. but other aliens will save us with their jedi light sabers and yoda will teach us.

Nice to our tax dollars funding more federally employed nut jobs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The worse thing about the NASA report is it's gonna cause a rash of Zombi Treads (or alien) on gun forums.

I hate zombi threads. </div></div>

BTW what is the best round for alien zombies?

Jim </div></div>

gotta say 762x39 from a krink or sks ftw

The Aliens know were recovering from the last Ice Age. Recovering from a Ice Age means warming up. Anyone with a brain and enough meat in their diet to keep it Functional knows this.

Aliens know that one med size Volcano dumps more shit into the air than all of mankind has in 200 years...

Aliens use Facts, not Feelgood Bullshit and Lies to dupe a population that has far exceeded the movie Idiocracy.

I think this was suggested to NASA and not a task completed by NASA.

The butt-scientists assume that aliens, advanced enough to get to Earth, have technology the solves all of thier Alien issues or Alien problems... whatever that may be.... Problems on any scale (Alien or Domestic) are a constant.

MAYBE the Aliens are dealing with thier own fucking shit and the butt-scientists and Nations of Earth could indirectly learn something from these alleged metaphysical Aliens.

More libtard self flagellation. "We must get our house in order because the aliens are watching us!" I litterally thought I had heard it all in this war on carbon.
I don't know if you guys remember school in the 70's. I remember being taught in school that our fossil fuel use was going to cause another ice age and "at the current rate of use", at that time, I was supposed to be living in a wintry wonderland by now.
There have been several programs on Discovery and NatGeo about the PROVEN climate cycles that have affected pre industrial revolution man down through the eons of time.
I am really getting sick of this kind of shit.

Death From within

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JehjqlzXwIQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JehjqlzXwIQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More libtard self flagellation. "We must get our house in order because the aliens are watching us!" I litterally thought I had heard it all in this war on carbon.
I don't know if you guys remember school in the 70's. I remember being taught in school that our fossil fuel use was going to cause another ice age and "at the current rate of use", at that time, I was supposed to be living in a wintry wonderland by now.
There have been several programs on Discovery and NatGeo about the PROVEN climate cycles that have affected pre industrial revolution man down through the eons of time.
I am really getting sick of this kind of shit.
</div></div>

Good point. Mother nature got old and lost her apocalyptic horse so in come the angry aliens........

If aliens ever got here and began exterminating us humans for the purpose of pre-empting our resources; you can bet your bottom dollor I'd be polluting the heck out of anything they'd be wanting. IMHO, it'd be the absolute best use for surplus nuclear waste...

Serves 'em right...

Danged straight we ought to be stockpiling nuc-waste. Fantastic doomsday weapon. Give them danged space crawlies something to <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> worry about...!

So we better clean up our act? That way when they get here to destroy us all they have a clean work area? I say do what we can and if they come to destroy us all we use what we got and stab holes in the canoe.

what I think is gonna happen in the not so distant future is that we will be overrun with our own trash. it will get so out of hand that we will have to board monstrous space vessels and float through space like we are on a cruise. I bet we will leave behind trash collecting robots to clean up our mess. I heard rumors that these motorized little carts are in production somewhere because after a few years in space we will have jello like spines and fat and wont be able to walk. I'd wager that after many years of travel we would come back to earth to find that life is sustainable again and we will have to re-settle the planet. this is just how i see it going down

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what I think is gonna happen in the not so distant future is that we will be overrun with our own trash. it will get so out of hand that we will have to board monstrous space vessels and float through space like we are on a cruise. I bet we will leave behind trash collecting robots to clean up our mess. I heard rumors that these motorized little carts are in production somewhere because after a few years in space we will have jello like spines and fat and wont be able to walk. I'd wager that after many years of travel we would come back to earth to find that life is sustainable again and we will have to re-settle the planet. this is just how i see it going down</div></div>

Oh you mean the Disney version of Battle for Terra!