• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

National Arms Nato 60 30-06 questions

Tony_D_50652

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2014
Lincoln, IA
not sure if this belongs better here or in the bolt action section but here it goes:
i recently acquired a National Arms Nato 60 30-06 that as far as my research has drawn is a sporting rifle built using a military surplus large ring Mauser receiver and a aftermarket barrel, the things that support the military surplus parts is the stripper clip groove in the top and the thumb notch in the left hand side of the receiver.
anyway back to the questions I have,
1: does anyone know of a appropriate replacement stock (NOS, aftermarket, or even a laminated thumbhole style would be ok) being as mine has a dangerous crack that starts behind the receiver and continues all the way threw the receiver cavity.
2: where is the best place to find a new rear elevator (Iron Site) that would fit the dove tail that is milled into the barrel and would be a range sight being as I plan on using this as a 150 to 200yard + iron site rifle.
3: does anyone happen to know more about these rifles being ad there was not jack squat for usable info that i found on the web.

Last edited:
How does it shoot?

There were a number of post WWII Mauser rifle makers. Imports for JC Penny's, Sears, Western Auto and Monkey Wards were FN large ring Mausers. Some Swedes were converted, and of course The Yugoslavians made sporters out of their still operational plants. And, they were pretty successful over the years. Most of those are Charles Daly Mark X's (mark ten). A couple I can think of were Golden State Arms and I believe Kimber got hold of a bunch of surplus as well. I bought one of them, that was already half a project.

For a drop in laminate stock: Boyd's, Richards microfit, Bell and Carlson, Hogue. All useable stocks. If you want a true high quality 'tactical' stock McMillans makes one. Well worth the money if you really plan on working this rifle over to get it super accurate.

In case you are wondering, the sky is the limit on these, as Holland and Holland as well as Purdy & Sons worked these over for Royalty running into the hundreds of thousands of dollars (think what's in a name).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it shoots great and cycle's beautifully but I have major issues with the rear elevator being way too short, I am leaning toward a Boyd's laminated thumb hole stock like I got a buddy for his Mossburg 30-06 but haven't decided due to a lack of info on the gun and wanting to keep it a iron site shooter
I'll re-post the brake down pictures from the other thread by the same name, accidental double post,
it has a nice looking adjustable trigger in it which surprising enough is set beautifully for my shooting style without me adjusting it

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures of the rifle
The crack in the stock that concerns me

The trigger assembly

Any markings I found

A few more pictures

The sights currently
The rear sight is a dove tail mounted flip up and I have the elevator maxed out and above the tangs
The front could used replaced also, my major issues with the current iron sites is I have to push my cheek hard into the stock and use the base of the front site to hit anything, makes it hard to repeat with it.

Last edited:
Also guys I want to apologize about sounding ignorant about any of this at all and I greatly appreaciate the info and help from everyone.

Tony,

The crack in the stock is repairable. It must be pinned and glued. The glue is going to be the long term holder, the pin to hold the glue while it cures.

The trigger is aftermarket not Mauser. It looks like a Timney or a Bold. It might have a name engraved on it.

As noted, you can leave it in this stock or save your pennies and get it into a stock that rocks under this action. If nothing else you might hog this stock out and bed the action in it. That will make good difference in accuracy.

All told, pretty much everything that imbues ultimate accuracy, is based on the Mauser action in one way or another. The Mauser action itself is perfectly capable of the same kind of accuracy that actions based off of it are capable of.

Sandwarrior thanks for your information, the trigger doesn't say anything on it anywhere I have found but I haven't removed the trigger assembly from the receiver to see if there is anything on the top.
Does anyone know where to find a rear ladder sight that would mount in the dovetail and not cost $170-$200? Even a good used one would suit me fine, and would lend itself to the kind of shooting I plan on using the rifle for.

Last edited:
Tony,

The crack in the stock is repairable. It must be pinned and glued. The glue is going to be the long term holder, the pin to hold the glue while it cures.

The trigger is aftermarket not Mauser. It looks like a Timney or a Bold. It might have a name engraved on it.

As noted, you can leave it in this stock or save your pennies and get it into a stock that rocks under this action. If nothing else you might hog this stock out and bed the action in it. That will make good difference in accuracy.

All told, pretty much everything that imbues ultimate accuracy, is based on the Mauser action in one way or another. The Mauser action itself is perfectly capable of the same kind of accuracy that actions based off of it are capable of.
Also thinking about this repairing the stock for now kinda goes with the $100 purchase price of the rifle but at the point in time a new stock will be in the budget I am leaning toward a Boyd's thumb hole laminated stock if there is one available that fits. Also I thank you sandwarrior and anyone else who shares their knowledge on these rifles, I am always looking to know more about the ones i own other than how they shoot.