• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

National match rifle builds

806guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Hello everyone i have built several ar's over the years and decided to build a carry handle rifle and got to looking into the national match rifles. Curreny have the following parts
Aero precision lower gen 2
Carry handle upper with sight (not sure of the brand)
PSA A2 EPT rifle lower build kit. ( might change to a national match trigger )
Criterion Ar-15 service rifle DCM barrel pre ban 20" 1.7.7 twist 223 match chamber.
I havent decided on front sight or to
install the rock river arms free float tube. Open to suggestions etc

Are you planning on shooting some service rifle matches? Is there any 600 yard club matches around you?

Are you planning on shooting some service rifle matches? Is there any 600 yard club matches around you?
I would like to be setup to shoot matches, currently there isnt any matches around me but i have a range to shoot beyond 600

White Oak and Compass Lake are two sources for front site bases that are tapped for set screws to match the flats on the DCM barrel. They both also have A-2 free floats.

You might want to read the CMP and NRA High Power rule books, you can see what is a "legal" service rifle. They have both become much more lenient as to what is a "legal" service rifle.

CMP

NRA

usrifleteams dot com is also frequented by a bunch of active High Power shooters.

Reactions: Ledzep and 806guns
I would like to be setup to shoot matches, currently there isnt any matches around me but i have a range to shoot beyond 600
Well that kinda sucks I was going to say stop by one of the matches and ask if anyone is selling anything.

Like anon said this is the forum for that stuff http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?/discover/unread/
It's a small community but some great people over there. If your looking for anything ask a mod if you can post a WTB thread and they will allow it.

There was an NRA Hi Power shooter on here for years. He was very knowledgeable about the subject. The funny part was he would go into a trance and lecture about the merits of proper sling use in every thread. No matter the subject. Chronographs, Load data, Scope selection. It all hinged on the proper use of the sling. It was a fun show to watch.
Guy might still be around.

Is there any 600 yard club matches around you?
I doesn't matter if there aren't because it's usually easier to find "reduced course" matches.

OP, the pic below will give you an idea of what's allowed under the more recent CMP rules . . .

national_match_001-2562910.jpg

Optics are allowed these days, up to 4.5x scopes, weight of the rifles is down these days. I still have my original upper with irons, 1/4 elevation and 1/2 windage and it shoots fine. I do not shoot much high power these days, maybe once or twice a year and Garand matches for fun. Leupold and Nightforce make the top end of the scopes but other makers are stepping up with good repeatable adjustments that will not wear out with extensive use.

Criterion makes a good barrel, I'd still rather have a stainless Krieger 1x7 heavy. I still shoot 80's at 600 and 77's or 75's for 2 and 300. I have a lot of 77s and have shot them across the course with no real problems but I shoot expert class. I got a 1000 rd case of commercial loaded 80's and at this rate they will last forever.

I use a Geissele match trigger, they had a deal on them, at Camp Perry and I was there so I bought two. My Rock River has a Rock River match trigger that is almost as nice. I use Turner slings, because they are consistent and the heavy leather stays stiff longer, It does make it slower to get the sling adjusted.

My original match rifle was assembled by me and a buddy in my garage back in the late 1990's and I shot very well with it. I will probable get a complete Compass Lake upper for a scope next year. You can use your parts and build a decent rifle. I have an AR-10 I built in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Criterion barrel and it shoot under 1/2 inch @ 100 yds all day, even warm.

Reactions: 806guns
Im just building an old school type rifle and saw the national match rifles and said hey i can make this a better rifle by adding the free float tube and a national match trigger. While keeping the cost low and all in all it would have open sights. If there was matches close to Amarillo texas i would love to go.

Im just building an old school type rifle and saw the national match rifles and said hey i can make this a better rifle by adding the free float tube and a national match trigger. While keeping the cost low and all in all it would have open sights. If there was matches close to Amarillo texas i would love to go.

If you didn’t already have parts I’d say your least expensive router would be to buy from someone selling a low mileage Compass Lake or White Oak Upper. Once the NRA started allowing scopes and adjustable buttstocks it changed the game and a most around here shoot something similar to the rifle above, albeit most here run the March scope for the parallax and they like the reticle better.

There are still XTC matches out there, but nothing like it was when I started in 2002. Still, fun and capable rifles if you can see the front sight post.

Definitely Compass Lake for the front sight you can send your upper to them for installation that doesn’t deform the rifling see the attached article. I also bought the Compass Lake National match rear sight much more precise and finer adjustments too. Their float tube setup is awesome my favorite if your not installing a Rock River nothing wrong with their products at all. The challenge of the old school open sights is fun while I still have the vision for it and I love seeing people freakout when I hit clay pigeons at 200yrds with open sights. Checkout creedmore sports for high power stuff and Derrick Martin’s The Complete Guide to AR-15 Accuracy it’s old but still applies. I was lucky enough to have Derrick do a custom rifle build before he retired it’s outstanding. The scope on my rifle was just for load development I recommend the DNZ mount for that purpose the others I’ve seen are junk. Have Fun! https://www.creedmoorsports.com/

Attachments

• 37C0153F-79B9-4B45-AB8D-C33F8BE3663E.jpeg
    37C0153F-79B9-4B45-AB8D-C33F8BE3663E.jpeg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 131
  • C5B736DB-D980-40DC-BC67-6479B5FDC47A.jpeg
    C5B736DB-D980-40DC-BC67-6479B5FDC47A.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 131
I agree. My favorite varmint barrel was a WOA amd when i found a complete upper i jumped on it. I will post an update when it arrives
Congrats man, now you just need the Giselleillieellee trigger!
That takes me back in time
I'm not just a uspsa guy lol. I've literally tried every gun game there is

I'm not just a uspsa guy lol. I've literally tried every gun game there is
Almost............NRA HP and smallbore, sporting clays, USPSA, and IDPgAy. Even tried a PRS club series match.

These days USPSA all the way

Reactions: louu
I put together a match AR with a Centurion upper, lower, handguard, and BCG and a Shilen 20" barrel a while back thinking I would like to get into this sport. Hasn't happened yet but maybe once I retire I'll try it out.
20220619_164354.jpg

I bought some pulled 77gr smk from American Reloading. Whats the best way to ge the tar sealant off? Dry or wet tumbler?

Attachments

• 20221024_182509.jpg
    20221024_182509.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 46
Stainless pins in a tumbler is so nice. Cleans the case inside and out including the flash hole the amount of brass you can clean in one shot is staggering! I bought the smallest one too. I’ve cleaned all sorts of other things as well pricey but a good investment. I hated having to look at flash holes to see if media was stuck in there. Just FYI your shopping around for what it’s worth I’ve never been disappointed in any 21st century products(arbor press and priming tool are amazing) Redding and Wilson products. Bruno’s was local for me and has great prices on most things. https://stainlesstumblingmedia.com/shop/reloading-products.html?product_list_limit=all

Stainless pins in a tumbler is so nice. Cleans the case inside and out including the flash hole the amount of brass you can clean in one shot is staggering! I bought the smallest one too. I’ve cleaned all sorts of other things as well pricey but a good investment. I hated having to look at flash holes to see if media was stuck in there. Just FYI your shopping around for what it’s worth I’ve never been disappointed in any 21st century products(arbor press and priming tool are amazing) Redding and Wilson products. Bruno’s was local for me and has great prices on most things. https://stainlesstumblingmedia.com/shop/reloading-products.html?product_list_limit=all

I currently have both tumblers already, havent used the wet tumbler much. Still trying to figure out the ratios. Thanks for replying!

I doesn't matter if there aren't because it's usually easier to find "reduced course" matches.

OP, the pic below will give you an idea of what's allowed under the more recent CMP rules . . .

national_match_001-2562910.jpg
Jeez, trigger discipline in high power is as bad as in the shotgun sports…

I bought some pulled 77gr smk from American Reloading. Whats the best way to ge the tar sealant off? Dry or wet tumbler?

When I had thousands of m118lr bullets with tar all over them regular tumbling didn't work for shit and I wound up using paint thinner. They shot great. I also loaded up plenty with the tar still on them and they shot fine too. One thing to look for is little burrs in the bullet jacket from how they are pulled. Every now and then I'd find one.

That's the only way. Scopes don't belong on these rifles View attachment 7980251
until you get old,

I shot a match last saturday, and if every target was an SR-1, I would have done well, but my almost 60 yr old eyes would not let focus good enough on the SR21 and MR31 targets,

sucks getting old

chatting with another shooter (distinquished, etc) and he commented no one used Irons any longer, and that the scope gave you at least 5 pts once you got used to it,

so I will have to bite the bullet and build up a scoped gun