• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nature stuff

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    I was out fishing today and saw one of these big bastards fishing about 100yds away.

I didn’t see it at first just heard what sounded like a sumo wrestler doing a belly flop off a high dive. It’s crazy how hard they hit and just fly around for another go. It tried about 5 times with no luck and flew off.

Always cool to be somewhere at just the right time to see some cool shit, never gets old.

Almost as cool as the pair of Bald Eagles that used to nest 50 yards from my back door.
    ADA626DA-9FFF-4C9E-B600-E32E34F44B8D.jpeg

(Random google image)

I’ve seen all sorts of cool stuff out fishing and hunting, any of y’all see anything cool recently?

Last edited:
    Not recently but there was a crazy moment while hunting years back. Heard rustling under the elevated blind I was in and a hawk flew out in front of me carrying a squirrel.

Reactions: akmike47
    not recently, but we sometimes get schools of baitfish in the bay and i have seen pelicans dive on them from 50' away.

Not recently but there was a crazy moment while hunting years back. Heard rustling under the elevated blind I was in and a hawk flew out in front of me carrying a squirrel.
    Watched a mockingbird fly by at warp speed into a tree followed by a hawk. Mockingbird had a bad day lol.

I’ve seen a ton of mallard ducklings swimming behind a hen disappear one by one over the years. Big bass and catfish around here lol. We got a 65lb flathead a few years ago, a buddy got one just under 80 40yds away.
    I’d feed them by hand like people feed tarpon under this huge covered boat dock. It’s cool having a foot wide mouth come up from the bottom 3” from your hand in dark water.

Watched a squirrel stalk a dove in our backyard elm, that sucker belly crawled about 5 feet up the limb before jumping on that dove, and holy shit did the feathers fly, dove finally got shook loose and flew off!
    Told the wife, don’t be lettin our four year old go in the backyard without a weapon, or the damn squirrels will eat him. These okie squirrels seem to be hyper aggressive!

Watched a squirrel stalk a dove in our backyard elm, that sucker belly crawled about 5 feet up the limb before jumping on that dove, and holy shit did the feathers fly, dove finally got shook loose and flew off!
    Told the wife, don’t be lettin our four year old go in the backyard without a weapon, or the damn squirrels will eat him. These okie squirrels seem to be hyper aggressive!
    I bottle fed a squirrel years back that's eyes weren't open yet, I had to fight a cat for it lol.

Had another that would let you pet it like a dog, people look at you like you're crazy when they walk by and your scratching a squirrels head, jealousy I think.

Almost had the deer where you could hand feed them at the house growing up. Lived out in the woods and had 20-60 in the yard nightly.

Had a momma raccoon that would march her yearlings up to the glass door in the back every year like she was showing off. Couple nights a week you'd get the feeling of being watched and there they were.

Bass fishing, watching my line, i hear this massive splash, look up to see a golden eagle carrying off a full grown duck.

Reactions: akmike47
    Ok, so I'll share this, one of my favorite clips even though the photographer missed the shot - a lioness going out of frame vertically is a pretty good indication of what was going on. The Marshall Eagle in Africa is known to steal quite large prey...including lion cubs. Action starts around 2:35, eagle then seen in background (3:00-3:05). Guide refers to lioness as a Ninja lol.

Last edited:
    nearby seagull recorded on cellphone through spotter.

2005 or 2006 CMP National Rifle Matches at Camp Perry, can't remember exactly which.

Pulling a target almost all the way on the west end of the line, not far from the fence. Hear this loud rustling and then a loud ass squeal in the weeds, peek around and see a hawk eating a rabbit's guts while the rabbit was still alive.

• Wow
    Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Not as much seen as it was felt.

4:30am and I am sitting in a climbing tree stand waiting for the sun to come up. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a flash of something kinda big by my head, that’s when I felt it. An owl landed on top of my head. Those talons will go through a hat in short order.
    Needless to say things got quite exciting for both of us. He realized he made a mistake and either one of us wanted the other’s company.

I bottle fed a squirrel years back that's eyes weren't open yet, I had to fight a cat for it lol.

Had another that would let you pet it like a dog, people look at you like you're crazy when they walk by and your scratching a squirrels head, jealousy I think.

Almost had the deer where you could hand feed them at the house growing up. Lived out in the woods and had 20-60 in the yard nightly.

Had a momma raccoon that would march her yearlings up to the glass door in the back every year like she was showing off. Couple nights a week you'd get the feeling of being watched and there they were.

A girl I went to school with has a pet squirrel and has rehabilitated a couple others. I'm not sure but I think she might have a second one that decided to return to the house after they tried to put it on the tree after it was doing well enough to turn loose.

We had a coyote, a raccoon and a fox for a while as kids. The coon would play on the swing set with us. The young coyote was in a kennel next to 5 coyote hounds and would go walk around with them whenever we turned him loose. He decided to go explore one day and came back home after someone shot him so we put him down.

• Sad
    Reactions: Jscb1b
    Watched a mockingbird fly by at warp speed into a tree followed by a hawk. Mockingbird had a bad day lol.

I’ve seen a ton of mallard ducklings swimming behind a hen disappear one by one over the years. Big bass and catfish around here lol. We got a 65lb flathead a few years ago, a buddy got one just under 80 40yds away.
    I’d feed them by hand like people feed tarpon under this huge covered boat dock. It’s cool having a foot wide mouth come up from the bottom 3” from your hand in dark water.
    Sounds like a snapping turtle. Ive had them clean my stringer more than once.

Last year, white tail hunt in NE. Watched a bald eagle fly right over me, about 30' over my head, then hunt the other side of the drainage for some time. He was sitting in dead trees and watching the ground. Amazing to watch through really clear glass at about 400 yds (Binos, not my scope you goobers!) Not a lot moving that AM so he moved on. Not long after an immature bald eagle flew over. 15 min more and a huge Golden Eagle flew over. Eagles are big birds and the goldens I have seen dwarf them.
    The most eagles I have seen ona stand for sure and seeing those eagles really topped an already amazing a beautiful morning hunt.

Was sitting on my porch drinking the morning coffee and heard a rustling in the trees then a thump 50 yds away so I walked down to see whats up. Theres a 6' black snake laying on the ground not moving and a baby squirrel whose eyes werent even open crawling around. I hear a barking, look up and heres momma squirrel coming down the tree head first. Runs over bites the shit our of the snake, grabs her baby and goes back up the tree into the nest. I figure snake was trying to get some breakfast in the nest, had it out with momma and fell out of the tree. After a bit he got his wind back and crawled away.

Was walking on some trails in the Black Hills around Mt. Rushmore and saw a huge Great Horned Owl sitting in a tree.

At the ranch I owned in Texas I kept hearing some noise in the attic. Took the NV gear and watched the air bent one night and theres a mother owl and several little ones leaving to hunt. Called the game warden about removing them and found out that as raptors they are a protected species and couldnt kill them. It was wierrd hearing them at night.

Came upon a Black Panther south of Flagstaff. He was in the middle of the road eating some road kill, with one leap cleared a 5 foot bank and was gone.

Mother Nature is amazing in her diversity. She even made Me and Bender, LOL, but I think The King was a big mistake.

I was out fishing today and saw one of these big bastards fishing about 100yds away.

I didn’t see it at first just heard what sounded like a sumo wrestler doing a belly flop off a high dive. It’s crazy how hard they hit and just fly around for another go. It tried about 5 times with no luck and flew off.

Always cool to be somewhere at just the right time to see some cool shit, never gets old.

Almost as cool as the pair of Bald Eagles that used to nest 50 yards from my back door.
    View attachment 7712394

I’ve seen all sorts of cool stuff out fishing and hunting, any of y’all see anything cool recently?

Friend of ours is a falconer and bought a hawk to our property in the city to hunt. (Our resident hawk was not happy and was overhead making herself known the whole time, but our friends' stayed below the canopy..)

POINT IS - when it got a squirrel, the sound it made was like a gunshot. Chased it up in the branches a little, until the rodent jumped down, probably 60-70' - the hawk folded its wings and dropped like a stone, faster than the squirrel, and landed right on its head. Kaboom. Talon right thru the head and out an eye.

Somewhere I have pics and video, but it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Just remembered I saw an eagle swoop down and snatch a bass coming back from the families place one day.

Birds get in the barn sometimes and can't find their way out. I open a window and can usually get them to perch on my finger and let them out. Had a short, fat owl in there one day and was about to do same. Stopped with my finger about 4" from his feet. Looking at that beak I decided he could find his own way out. Could have been a really cool moment or could have been a chunk missing from my trigger finger.

About 5 years ago, a friend invited me to hunt his farm, and he put me in a large burr oak tree in between two pastures overlooking a dry stream bed.

As I was watching the squirrels run about, something flashed by and I saw a red tailed hawk take a shot on the squirrel, and miss. I felt a bit better about my (lack of) hunting skills, when somebody who hunts for a living doesnt succeed...

Anyway, the squirrel runs and dives into the exposed, washed out rootball of a big sycamore on the stream bank. It runs under there, then a moment later pops its head out the top for a look around, like a guy in a tank turret, the hid again.

Some time later, from behind me, comes a very small bobcat walking down the streambed. It was the size of a small housecat, and had its head on a swivel. It never stopped looking around as it went past me, up the dry streambed and out of sight around the corner 50 yds away. It had walked right by where that squirrel was hidden, and never even knew it, apparently. I was thinking, "yeah, your hunting skills SUCK, cat!" Walked right past it, less than 2 feet away, went around the corner...

And five minutes later came walking right back... with a huge red squirrel in its mouth! Dum-de-dum. Looked just like a guy going out & down the sidewalk for a loaf of bread & a bottle of milk... OK, now THAT sure changed my attitude about that cat's hunting skills! Walked right past where the first squirrel was still hiding. It eventually came out & went about its business. Life & death in the big city. Business as usual.

Then, as it was getting toward dark, a turkey came out into the pasture to my left, so I took a shot (recurve bow) & missed. Later measured at 32 yards. It was starting to get dark, and down the path from my right comes a big coon, waddles right to the tree I am in and starts munching on an acorn. A burr oak acorn is huge, about the size of a golf ball. I had no idea coons will eat acorns... But then something distracts the coon and it climbs up the backside of my tree! Its my buddy coming off his tree stand. That coon flattened itself onto the backside of that tree and tried to act invisible, but we had it coming & going. It couldnt decide whether to go up or down, so it went up, almost right in my lap. I had to poke it with an arrow to get it to move sideways enough for me to climb down. I didnt want to kill it, neither the bobcat.

Coolest hunting experience in the woods I've ever had.

Last year, white tail hunt in NE. Watched a bald eagle fly right over me, about 30' over my head, then hunt the other side of the drainage for some time. He was sitting in dead trees and watching the ground. Amazing to watch through really clear glass at about 400 yds (Binos, not my scope you goobers!) Not a lot moving that AM so he moved on. Not long after an immature bald eagle flew over. 15 min more and a huge Golden Eagle flew over. Eagles are big birds and the goldens I have seen dwarf them.
    The most eagles I have seen ona stand for sure and seeing those eagles really topped an already amazing a beautiful morning hunt.
    If/when you get up to Alaska, stop by JBEAR. There used to be a cage there where they keep injured eagles during rehab, or permanently if they won’t make it back to the wild. Also, if you make it down to Seward, there is a mountain behind the Army/Air Force Resort there that always had tons of eagles flying around it. Some good glass would get you a nice look at them.

Reactions: powdahound76
    About 5 years ago, a friend invited me to hunt his farm, and he put me in a large burr oak tree in between two pastures overlooking a dry stream bed.

As I was watching the squirrels run about, something flashed by and I saw a red tailed hawk take a shot on the squirrel, and miss. I felt a bit better about my (lack of) hunting skills, when somebody who hunts for a living doesnt succeed...

Anyway, the squirrel runs and dives into the exposed, washed out rootball of a big sycamore on the stream bank. It runs under there, then a moment later pops its head out the top for a look around, like a guy in a tank turret, the hid again.

Some time later, from behind me, comes a very small bobcat walking down the streambed. It was the size of a small housecat, and had its head on a swivel. It never stopped looking around as it went past me, up the dry streambed and out of sight around the corner 50 yds away. It had walked right by where that squirrel was hidden, and never even knew it, apparently. I was thinking, "yeah, your hunting skills SUCK, cat!" Walked right past it, less than 2 feet away, went around the corner...

And five minutes later came walking right back... with a huge red squirrel in its mouth! Dum-de-dum. Looked just like a guy going out & down the sidewalk for a loaf of bread & a bottle of milk... OK, now THAT sure changed my attitude about that cat's hunting skills! Walked right past where the first squirrel was still hiding. It eventually came out & went about its business. Life & death in the big city. Business as usual.

Then, as it was getting toward dark, a turkey came out into the pasture to my left, so I took a shot (recurve bow) & missed. Later measured at 32 yards. It was starting to get dark, and down the path from my right comes a big coon, waddles right to the tree I am in and starts munching on an acorn. A burr oak acorn is huge, about the size of a golf ball. I had no idea coons will eat acorns... But then something distracts the coon and it climbs up the backside of my tree! Its my buddy coming off his tree stand. That coon flattened itself onto the backside of that tree and tried to act invisible, but we had it coming & going. It couldnt decide whether to go up or down, so it went up, almost right in my lap. I had to poke it with an arrow to get it to move sideways enough for me to climb down. I didnt want to kill it, neither the bobcat.

Coolest hunting experience in the woods I've ever had.
    That coon might have fucked the small bobcat up. Coon is a bad ass fighter and has thick fur. I saw one give a single Heeler all he wanted.

• Haha
    Reactions: Jgunner
    I remember being out at falcon lake a few years back. I pulled in to a cove and found five to six coyotes all about equally spaced apart all around the cove. They were getting into the water to catch carps and a few of them already had fish outside the water. I thought that was pretty fucking awesome to witness them strategizing for food.

Reactions: Anb618 and Jgunner
    I remember being out at falcon lake a few years back. I pulled in to a cove and found five to six coyotes all about equally spaced apart all around the cove. They were getting into the water to catch carps and a few of them already had fish outside the water. I thought that was pretty fucking awesome to witness them strategizing for food.
    Man I want to fish there. I suck but it would be fun.

I’m the guy that loses 7-8# bass at the boat, or catches a 9.8 post spawn female that was probably 11# a few weeks before and has loose skin from massive weight loss lol. Color was really faded looking also, don’t think she was doing hot.

I need a boat one day.

Reactions: stello1001
    Man I want to fish there. I suck but it would be fun.

I’m the guy that loses 7-8# bass at the boat, or catches a 9.8 post spawn female that was probably 11# a few weeks before and has loose skin from massive weight loss lol. Color was really faded looking also, don’t think she was doing hot.

I need a boat one day.

I remember when I was younger, I used to hit falcon lake so much, maybe 5 times outta the week. The amount of pressure it got after it being announced the #1 bass lake in the US destroyed it. Big fish are still caught, but it's a bitch and and it's a real grind to even find them.

I remember when I was younger, I used to hit falcon lake so much, maybe 5 times outta the week. The amount of pressure it got after it being announced the #1 bass lake in the US destroyed it. Big fish are still caught, but it's a bitch and and it's a real grind to even find them.
    I really want to go fish Okeechobee FL, I like frog fishing and flipping.

Lake by me has double digit bass caught at tournaments a lot, but the lake is rough, full of carp, and lots of morons.

Reactions: Jgunner
    Searching residential backyards for some a-hole reported peeking through windows the other night. I was flipping my light on/off as I moved through the neighborhood, basically just using the light as a snapshot to be able to move in the dark. Heard something moving in the dark in the unfenced yard ahead of me, so I went to check it out. Got to the edge of the yard (fenced neighbor, so I turned the corner not knowing what was there), and flipped my light on. Immediately illuminated a skunk…facing away from me with tail up.

I ran and yelled like a little bitch. Had to get on the radio to a shift partner to stop him from running in too, after he told our dispatch he was on his way to help me and giving out my approximate location. I saw him again scooting under a garden shed a few minutes later. I’ll choose felons all day over skunks.

Searching residential backyards for some a-hole reported peeking through windows the other night. I was flipping my light on/off as I moved through the neighborhood, basically just using the light as a snapshot to be able to move in the dark. Heard something moving in the dark in the unfenced yard ahead of me, so I went to check it out. Got to the edge of the yard (fenced neighbor, so I turned the corner not knowing what was there), and flipped my light on. Immediately illuminated a skunk…facing away from me with tail up.

I ran and yelled like a little bitch. Had to get on the radio to a shift partner to stop him from running in too, after he told our dispatch he was on his way to help me and giving out my approximate location. I saw him again scooting under a garden shed a few minutes later. I’ll choose felons all day over skunks.

Reactions: Anb618
    Falcon is nice but try Lake Amistad up by Del Rio. Beautiful place and where I saw the largest Diamondback Ive ever seen. Driving along the shore one evening around sunset and saw what I thought was a piece of fire hose across the road. Stopped and got out to look at it and the SOB moved. Had his head in the grass on one side of the road and tail on the other. Never saw all of him but he was well over 6'.

Reactions: stello1001
    Falcon is nice but try Lake Amistad up by Del Rio. Beautiful place and where I saw the largest Diamondback Ive ever seen. Driving along the shore one evening around sunset and saw what I thought was a piece of fire hose across the road. Stopped and got out to look at it and the SOB moved. Had his head in the grass on one side of the road and tail on the other. Never saw all of him but he was well over 6'.
    Guys I work with saw an eastern cross railroad tracks. It was longer than the ties. RR tie is 8.5'. Fuck That!!!

Reactions: Maggot
    I’ll stand my ground against the skunks when work starts issuing Holy Hand Grenades.
    Sounds like that skunk may have been a Frenchman, luckily you left so it didn’t have to taunt you again.

Reactions: Anb618