• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Nature's reminder that turkey season is near

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
I woke up this morning, thinking I was dreaming, to the sound of well over a dozen horned up toms chasing around several dozen slutty hens. After I had spent some time practicing my calls, I went to the yard to take a few pics and video. Season here opens in about two weeks...

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Nature's reminder that turkey season is near

Very cool! I believe turkey's have split personalities sometimes. They can be so weary and careful coming to calls but then you can be 5 yards from them other times wearing bright orangeand dancing a jig and they wouldn't even care. Our season starts April 20th and I bowhuntin only. I am giving the Magnus Bullheads a try this year and I hope I get the chance to let one eat. We get 2 birds here in Missouri.

I'm thinking a long barreled .22 and some standard velocity ammo.

Just sayin......

Cheers,

Doc

Nice! I always look forward to spring turkey hunting.

Me too. Ever scare one out of its roost at night while you are working your orientation skills? After the initial fright you'd swear that your RTO had called in a section of Phrogs for a ride back.

I also like it when I have sat for hours without moving in the best spot I could find after cutting sign for a month, and then it gets late and I have to leave, only to find a large number of them hanging around my truck or out on the road.

I am very glad to see the numbers come back in so many states.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arch Stanton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also like it when I have sat for hours without moving in the best spot I could find after cutting sign for a month, and then it gets late and I have to leave, only to find a large number of them hanging around my truck or out on the road.

</div></div>

Haha that's how it always happens.

They are very vain creatures. They like to see themselves strut and seems like the high gloss paint job has attracted more birds to my truck than my decoys before too. I don't think its my calling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My house is in a golf course community and my backyard is right up against a fairway. I woke up this morning, thinking I was dreaming, to the sound of well over a dozen horned up toms chasing around several dozen slutty hens. After I had spent some time practicing my calls, I went to the yard to take a few pics and video. Season here opens in about two weeks... </div></div>

Anybody have an air rifle recommendation for bagging this sort of game? In California, on private land, you can use an air rifle of at least 0.20 caliber. My boss has a big ranch, and was pondering an air rifle. So, any recommendations would be appreciated, especially if it's carried at Bass Pro Shops which is sorta en route to his ranch.

I don't know enough about air rifles to comment but I will be on the lookout for some info. It might be some tricky work that people here would want to hear about. I shot at one once with a 12 guage and thought for sure he fell over but it was his laughter at me as he ran away. I got so pissed that spring that I dreamed of daisy-chaining claymores in front of L-shaped ambush. I got lucky though and ran into a bunch of them on an old road as I came around the corner. I had to put two tires into the ditch but got one all the same...

I live in Cali as well and had the very same airgun idea as you. It was in a lets say "populated area" ;-)

I'm pretty damn sure my .20cal Sheridan would do the trick if I got close enough to put one behind its eye. One of my buddies brother bought a Gammo something (can't remember) He said that bad-boy is deadly. Take a look at the one they have that has a sound suppressor on it. We wouldn't want to attract any unnecessary attention *smiles*

-Pat

If you don't land a head shot Mr longbeard is a tuff joker to put down and keep him down.

Mr. Haler- A man, whose name escapes me at the moment, that hunts almost exclusively with air rifles recommends the 25 and 50 cals for that size game and bigger, up to deer size. You might check here for some info, if you haven't already. www.pyramydair.com

In a more conventional sense an RWS 48 or 52 would be a sound option in either 17 or 22 cal, your preference. Mine runs the pellets right at 1100fps. If you make the mistake of treating it like a rifle and leave a bit of oil in the bore the sonic crack inside the garage will make you pay attention. I have dispensed with multitudes of pesky critters to a distance of 58 yards with my 48. They are easily MOA or better rifles, 1/2" is certianly accurate enough to poke the bearded ones in the grape. That being said the spring piston air rifles are LOUDER than say a Remmy 513-T (26" tube) with subsonic or standard velocity ammo. Much to be said for chucking a 40gr pill at 900 - 1050fps.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arch Stanton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Lester. I agree, and another reason I have made the move to start farming tadpoles in my home.</div></div>

Arch
Hung a many BF tadpole on a trotline,but that was IN the water and the quary was fish.
wink.gif
wink.gif

One of my favorite memorys was an 8 year old defending the honor of a raped decoy with a 22 Hornet.
BradsTurkey.jpg