• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper Rifle / Navy Port Security M14 rifle - replica project update

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
It has taken a little over a year, but I have finally collected the parts I need to begin the build of my replica/tribute Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle/Navy Port Security rifle. For those who might not be aware of the history, these were basically the Navy's "Grade A" M14 match rifles that were converted into SEAL sniper rifles circa 1989-1990 via the addition of a 10x scope, BPT scope mount, Leupold Ultra tactical rings, and bedded into either a forest camo McMillan M1A stock (early guns) or a black McMillan M1A stock. (note: the majority of rifles built at Crane used the black stock). Funding was approved for 250 to be built back in 1989, and the Navy had approx 70 Grade A match rifles already in inventory that were suitable for conversion into the Physical Security Sniper Rifle configuration. (Note: The earliest rifles were double-lugged, but due to cracking/welding issues regarding the front lugs, the Navy armors at Crane, IN built the majority of these with just rear lugs.)

Anyhow, here's the inspiration for the project, a 1991 photo of what I suspect is a Navy/Crane-built M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle taken just after Operation Desert Storm. (Note: This picture is from a Peter Senich book, The Long Range War, (1994), and while he refers to this rifle as an "M25" that is not technically correct as the Navy never utilized the M25 nomenclature). Regardless of that minor error, according to Senich's book, this rifle was the US Navy SEAL’s "weapon of choice” during Operation Desert Storm.

0qwKPSN.jpg

From the same book, here's a military artist rendition of a Navy SEAL using this rifle during Operation Desert Storm (circa Feb 1991):

jhjG9vm.jpg

Here's the photo associated with this Navy NSN 1005-01-106-8975 (note the aluminum case and items in the case):

NTSs4ZI.png

Here's the most recent picture circa 2007 of Navy personnel with what appears to be a Navy M14 Port Security rifle still in its original configuration:

Bs5zkD5.png

Regarding my replica rifle project, it actually started with the correct B&L 10x scope and a BPT scope mount that I acquired in January 2017...and that began the journey. So, 13 months later this is what I have accumulated in an effort to replicate what is seen in the above pics, including a vintage Navy transport case (Note: You can click on picture to enlarge):

QwWBpaD.jpg

Rear lugged SAI Super Match receiver (1992 vintage). Rear lug has the torque screw set-up, as also found on vintage Navy match rifles:

2zqepnq.jpg

1993 dated US Navy marked heavy Barnett/Douglas barrel (The headspace is good: 1.631"):

mqb0J4h.jpg

Misc. parts (BTW, I'm looking for another MRT marked sling with a 1990s date, just in case someone has a spare sling they could sell...):
QteYlRy.jpg

Optics and a few misc items found in the original kit. (I have a Navy Weapon Record book, but I'd really like to find an original Operator's Manual: SW370-BK-MMI-020):

izOhhon.jpg

Thanks to another collector, I was able to acquire the old Navy aluminum transport case as seen in vintage pics (DRMO'ed item), and I have ordered replacement foam for that case. So the last two or three items I am now trying to find are the Operators Manual # SW370-BK-MMI-020; the Technical Manual # TM 9-1005-223-90, and whatever that blue spiral notebook is in the color NSN photo (I think its instruction on Mil-Dot reticles, but not sure). If any body a copy of any of these 3 manuals I would be a very motivated buyer as its all that I need to complete my "kit" (along the replacement foam for the old transport case that I ordered a couple of weeks ago).

I may add a front bipod stud to the stock before I have my gunsmith bed the action (he's a retired USMC MOS 2112 and well-versed in building match M14s... Its a long story re my pursuit of a black M1A stock, as the other one I ordered from McMillan in August 2017 should arrive this spring,

Most recently I re-parked the receiver, bolt, op rod and a few other parts, so everything now has a matching finish, and thus this project is finally coming together. Hopefully my gunsmith can bed it in MarineTex sometime this spring or summer.... Anyhow, just an fyi post for any one interested in this replica of a somewhat unusual M14 variant.

Last edited:
This is awesome Random! Do keep us posted as your build progresses.

I note that the action has a recoil lug on it.

I shot against some of those guys at Gastonia a few years ago. Port security guys. Good shooters! Great guys! They were using Bolt actions at the competition, but got to see their 'kit' and they had a few of these in their inventory. Yours looks great! Fantastic project!

Keep us posted and let's see some groups when you get it together!

Cheers,

Sirhr

(NOTE: Re-uploaded pics on morning of 2-17-2019, hopefully that worked better).

Updating this thread circa February 2019: Happy to report that this M1A project is finally finished. It only took 2 years…

Replica Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper Rifle with vintage Navy transport case and misc accessories (click on pic for larger image):

IMG_0228.JPG

Right side middle:

IMG_0229.JPG

Right side close-up:

IMG_0235.JPG

Barrel:

IMG_0234.JPG

Left side middle:

IMG_0231.JPG

As noted in the original post, this project began in January 2017 with the purchase of a vintage B&L 10X Tactical scope and a BPT scope mount. In March 2017, I got real lucky with my timing (for once) – when a 1993 dated, US Navy marked heavy profile match barrel came up for sale on another forum – and I was able to post “I’ll take it” before others spotted that ad. The throat erosion of the take-off barrel is ~ 2.0, so hopefully it still has lots of barrel life left (it’s a heavy profile Barnett/Douglas barrel, marked “USN”).

So, as of March 2017, I had three key parts needed to pursue a replica of a Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper Rifle (also referred to as a Navy M14 Port Security rifle). I then bought a 1992 SAI rear-lugged Supermatch rifle as the donor MIA, dissembled it, and starting reparkerizing the parts. In the spring-summer of 2018 I finally got my black M1A stock squared away. Everything was finally shipped off to my builder in September 2018, and he finished it in late January 2019. I got it back in February 2019. So, this replica/tribute project was just over two years in the making.

Note: I don’t have a range report yet, as its still winter around here, but I hope to test it in March or April. For anyone interested, here are the parts used for this replica Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle (aka Navy Port Security Sniper rifle), starting at the front:

• USGI flash hider reamed to NM specs
• USGI NM front sight, marked ‘NM 0.62’
• NM/Unitized gas cylinder (welded methodology)
• Harris BR bipod 1A2-L Ultralight (6-9” version)
• USGI gas piston (lightly polished)
• USGI NM recoil spring guide
• Barnett/Douglas heavy profile, carbon steel barrel, marked “1 10 7.62 MM 4 93 4 SPL USN”
• Brookfield Precision Tool (BPT) scope mount
• Bausch & Lomb (B&L) 10x Tactical scope w/ Mil-Dot reticle
• Leupold Tactical 30mm medium height steel rings (Early/vintage Ultra rings with rectangular top)
• TRW bolt w/ USGI internals
• TRW op-rod (tab rebuilt, and op rod re-parked)
• SAI trigger housing with USGI hammer, trigger, and sear. It was customized with the SAI M25 “White Feather” modifications for an adjustable pull weight between ~ 2 and 5 pounds. (It is visually correct when installed, but mechanically this trigger group allows for a safe 3.5 lb pull).
• Springfield Armory Inc. receiver (1992 Supermatch with a rear-lug, and ‘torque screw’ set-up)
• Rear sight – USGI ‘NM/2A’ base w/ ‘M’ pinion & hooded USGI NM rear aperture
• McMillan M1A stock molded in plain black color, and inletted for a rear lugged receiver (**mods):
** Bipod stud mounted in front of sling swivel (added on ad hoc basis to some Navy M14s)
** Front swivel attached via allen head screws (as seen on original Crane-built M14s)
** Receiver bedded with MarineTex and receiver’s lug has the ‘torque screw’ set-up.
** Faux M14 selector lock installed (non-functional of course, but aesthetically correct)
• 1907 pattern leather sling with 1986 MRT date (correct, but an early 1990s would be preferable)

Thanks to another forum member, l was able to acquire a vintage Navy aluminum transport case as used with these and other Navy rifles from the late 1980s and the 1990s. Fortunately I was able to purchase new replacement foam for it (it was missing). Since I had the Navy transport case, I collected the various small items in the original deployment kit, with the exception of an original Operator’s Manual - which I have not been able to locate (SW370-BK-MMI-020). If anybody has this old manual, please let me know. (I’m also looking for a leather sling with an MRT date from the early 1990s. My 1986 dated sling is fine, but would prefer an early 1990s date, if someone has a spare sling that they could live without…)

Bipod stud and heavy-duty allen screws at front swivel, as done on original Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper Rifles:

IMG_0232.JPG

With bipod intstalled:

IMG_0237.JPG

Historical overview: These rifles were built at Crane and based on the Navy’s ‘Grade A, Match M14’ rifle build procedures. My understanding is that funding was provided in 1989 for up to 250 of these rifles to be made, and at that time Crane had 70 ‘Grade A’ match rifles in their inventory that were suitable for conversion into the sniper rifle configuration. So somewhere between 250 and 320 of the Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifles were likely made in the 1989-1990 time period. Crane built them with either welded-on double lugs, or a welded-on rear lug. Reportedly the front lugs were prone to cracking, possibly due to poor welding technique, so the armors at Crane switched to just a rear-lugged receiver for most of these rifles. In addition, the earliest versions of this rifle reportedly had McMillan stocks with either a woodland camo or forest camo pattern, but most were built with black M1A stocks.

According to Peter Senich’s book, The Long-Range War, these rifles were “the weapon of choice” for Navy SEALs during Operation Desert Storm, circa 1991. (As an aside: Senich’s book also references one of these rifles as the “Navy version of the M25,” but the Navy never used M25 in its nomenclature, so that is a minor error in his book). In addition to being used as a sniper rifle by Navy SEAL teams and SOCCOM operators, in the 1990s some were also used as Designated Marksman rifles for Naval base protection. Unfortunately very little has been written about this rifle and most books don’t even mention them. Only a small handful of ‘pre-Internet’ pictures exist of this rifle being used in Navy service. Interestingly, a picture reportedly taken in 2007 shows one of these rifles held by US Navy personnel in what appears to be its original configuration with a black M1A stock, vintage B&L scope, etc, but my impression is the vast majority of these rifles were re-built after 1996 into the newer Navy Security Sniper Rifle, or SSR configuration.

Anyhow, that’s my tribute rifle of a Navy M14 Physical Security Sniper rifle, as used by SEAL teams and Designated Marksman from approximately 1989 until presumably the mid-1990s. Hopefully I’ll have a range report in a month or two, once the weather improves somewhat. (I'll take some outdoor pics too).

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thats odd. I’ll work on that in the morning...(re-uploaded this morning around 8am)

Last edited:
Random guy,

You don't need to use a hosting site anymore. Just hit the "Attach files" at the lower left corner of where you write your post and attach them directly.

-Hope that helps

Okay, re-uploaded pics, hope that works for others (I could see the image, perhaps due to having an img.com account)

Reactions: sandwarrior
Outstanding example! Don't worry about the sling date. I remember using 85 & 86 dated slings in the early 90s, straight out of the wrap from the Crane armorer's van. They put what they had in with the rifles, not always the same. In the pic below, look at the length of the bipod!
08161029.JPG

One thing, to me stands out as incorrect, though. We never had M118LR.

The base rifles had no NCEA-T (Non-Combat Expenditure Allowance-Training) for match ammo and the issued callout ammo was A170 spun-nose FGMM 168 in the red & white box. Here's an empty. Some were marked "SPUN NOSE" some weren't. Things weren't all one way or another back then:
20190217_093156.jpg

Here is a full box of later A170 without the spun nose 168gr FGMM with the contract labels on it. This ammo was issued to the Navy Rifle Team at the 1994 All-Navy Matches, but was what was also issued for training & use to the Frogs for their M14s and SR25s (yep, Dam Neck had a few back then, pre-MK11). Notice the contract number reflects its purchase for NSW (Naval Special Warfare).
20190217_093213.jpg

20190217_093222.jpg

I think these belong in that case with your rifle, at least being seen, instead of sitting in my old ammo can being neither seen nor used.

Send me your address.

NukeMMC, thanks for those details re ammo, that is really interesting. Wow, that old bipod is crazy tall(!)

I'll send you my address, and I appreciate your offer(!)