• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Navy SEAL In Psych Ward for Claiming…He’s a SEAL

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Virginia man claimed to be a Navy SEAL to talk his way out of a gun possession arrest on Thursday, and the New York Police Department committed him to a psych ward thinking his claims of elite military status were the rantings of a lunatic.

Turns out the guy was in fact an elite Navy SEAL.

But as the New York Post put it, telling the NYPD "I'm in an elite military unit, you can't arrest me," doesn't help much when the city's draconian gun laws are at issue.

Twenty-nine-year-old Shaun Day was on a leave from his duty as a Navy SEAL duty when cops nailed him for running a red light in Manhattan, New York on Thursday.

NYPD officers searched Day's pickup truck and found a 9mm semiautomatic pistol and three magazines full of ammo.

During the arrest, police claim Day was babbling incoherently and repeatedly claimed that he was an elite Navy SEAL with “top- secret clearance,” but was unable to provide any documentation for police.

After getting shipped off to the psych ward, sources told The Post the Navy sent staffers to talk to Day in Bellevue Hospital, where he was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation. According to Gothamist:

"He was released [Friday] in their care, and they were going to treat him for post-traumatic stress. All charges against Day have been deferred, and it's unclear how he was able to prove his status."

So far, the charges against Day of weapons possession and a traffic violation have been deferred.

Over the past few months, other out-of-towners, however, including a former marine, have been arrested for illegal gun possession in New York and face years in prison despite pleas for leniency.</div></div>

Full Article — Yahoo! News

Re: Navy SEAL In Psych Ward for Claiming…He’s a SEAL

I dunno if I trust the police's report much if at all but they said he was slurring and saying all manner of weird things...

NY has been on a major power trip these last few weeks.

Sucks for the SEAL but he should have known better. If he is suffering from PTSD hopefully this will be his wake up call and gets the help he needs.

running a red light ....or trying to make it to the east river for escape and evade ?

I thought SEALs, JSOC, & D Co. 5SF Group were all required to carry at all times. Pretty sure the National Command Authority outranks the goon squad in NY. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, it makes to much sense to have elite forces being armed during these times.

so when is someone going to take NYC to court and get their absurd gun laws ruled unconstitutional

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought SEALs, JSOC, & D Co. 5SF Group were all required to carry at all times. Pretty sure the National Command Authority outranks the goon squad in NY. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, it makes to much sense to have elite forces being armed during these times.</div></div>

Are they? Not that I don't believe you, but I wouldn't mind seeing some sources. Just curious.

What i'd like to know is how the hell NYC is allowed to slog people for "gun possession", doesn't that pretty much go against what USSC recently said with decisions like McDonald v. Chicago? Wouldn't that mean that NYC is "also" violating these people's rights just as Chicago, DC, etc. did?

I get that dude might not have had credentials on him, but a simple background investigation should reveal that he is military, even if it doesn't say "elite badass"... at that point, a reasonable investigator might make a call to DOD or even just VA or something before they send him to the psych ward. Way to do your due diligence, fucking worthless doughnut holes.

Fuck NYC, and the scumbag bureaucrats that infest it... more of them than sewer rats these days. I hope this guy is found to be perfectly sober/competent/etc. and that he sues their asses to the stone age for wrongful arrest and such. Perhaps it will also get 2a groups off their asses and into court with these power-usurping shitheads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought SEALs, JSOC, & D Co. 5SF Group were all required to carry at all times. Pretty sure the National Command Authority outranks the goon squad in NY. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, it makes to much sense to have elite forces being armed during these times.</div></div>

Are they? Not that I don't believe you, but I wouldn't mind seeing some sources. Just curious. </div></div>Like I said, "I think they are. Maybe I'm wrong"...Been 23 years since I was at Bragg, & all of the JSOC guys I ever met carried all the time, everywhere.

If it was in performance of his duties(I'm referring to the SEAL) then it should be an issue weapon.

There is a huge difference between being on the job and carrying you duty weapon, and being on leave and carrying your personally owned weapon with you. There are many regulations involved for weapons in the military, both personal, and duty.

I think that is the main question I have is whether or not he was actually on duty at the time.

My second question is, how in the fuck can the NYPD just automatically take someone, and have them locked up in the psyche ward without due process, or a proper investigation?

Hopefully all of this gets thrown out for the SEAL's sake.

Simple, they 9.41'd him. In laymans terms, the police officer had reason to believe based on his behavior, that the person was a real danger to himself or others due to some type of mental issue. The person is involutarily committed for evaluation. It's not a criminal issue and they're not being locked up in a psyche ward without due process or a proper investigation. http://www.omh.state.ny.us/omhweb/forensic/manual/html/mhl_admissions.htm

Hey, stop insulting sewer rats!
(Retired NYC DEP sewer engineer rat)

The biggest question is: How do you get from 'running a stop light' to 'searching the vehicle'?

Just say no.

What's even more scary is the number of people that think the NYC gun law is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">running a red light ....or trying to make it to the east river for escape and evade ?
</div></div>

You kill me buddy. LMAO....

Easy If you are unfit to enter corrections you go to Bellevue for review. Corrections wont take someone until they are medically cleared. We run into a few vets each year that aren't doing too well. Many have PTSD or just plain crazy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy If you are unfit to enter corrections you go to Bellevue for review. Corrections wont take someone until they are medically cleared. We run into a few vets each year that aren't doing too well. Many have PTSD or just plain crazy. </div></div>

WHOA! Easy there buddy, now you're sounding like you actually KNOW what you're talking about. Can't let facts get in the way of a good story. This guy is a Navy SEAL, everyone knows those guys can do no wrong. Ever.

Officer Barney Fife shoulda shook the mans hand said thanks for the service, enjoy your time on leave and sent him on his way. Rather Officer hard ass tried to pull rank on the wrong guy.

A out of stater possessing a handgun at all, especially on his person or in his vehicle in NYC is asking for trouble these days. You will lose the argument there. they will see to it.
I expect at the car stop he lost his cool and started spouting shit thatseemed crazy. He also likely had no ID,like a military ID and a meal card saying his unit on him.
Being a SEAL doesn't mean you can carry concealed anywhere, especially across state lines.
If he was deputized as a US marshal or Air Marshal he would have had a badge and federal papers. I guess he didn't.
Lost his cool. A phone call to Virginia would have easily established his bonafides. As for the (in NYC and State) illegal gun, that was his big mistake and I am confident he knew he was busted. Bad judgement. he should have left it at the base.

Sometimes your words get a little slurred or mumbly when you have 6 NYPD officers sitting on your back and head while they cuff you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy If you are unfit to enter corrections you go to Bellevue for review. Corrections wont take someone until they are medically cleared. We run into a few vets each year that aren't doing too well. Many have PTSD or just plain crazy. </div></div>

WHOA! Easy there buddy, now you're sounding like you actually KNOW what you're talking about. Can't let facts get in the way of a good story. This guy is a Navy SEAL, everyone knows those guys can do no wrong. Ever. </div></div>

Well lets face it if he was JUST a marine there would be no story.

It was all actually part of a elaborate E & E / Recon training mission to test Bellevue-NYPD.I could tell you more but...then ...I'd have ...to.. well you know the rest!

"Hi, I'm a super secret ninja rockstar warrior, I drink my own awesomeness and shit unicorns covered in fairy dust. Stand tall and worship me for I possess not the intellect to carry some form of ID with me while carrying a concealed weapon in NYC"

This dipshit must have been the swim buddy of the idiot that shot himself in front of the bar skank with his unloaded gun.

Looking at it from the side of law enfocement, because I'm a cop. The way the story reads, after I saw him run the red light. My first suspecion would be DUI, especially if he was "babbling" about being a SEAL. After that he's under investigative detention, and yes we can search his vehicle at this point. Now lets say I don't find any signs of alcohol or drug use, but I do find a loaded gun. My next concern might be that his story is good, and he's about to twist off...OR...His story is good only in his MIND, and he is actually some random crazy dude rollin' around loaded looking for the nearest police station, some walmart, or mall to walk into and go "Postal".
However, this is where I would handle it differently. My next step would be to contact the nearest military base, Tinker AFB is ours, or a family member. I would atttempt to verify with them this guys story, or have them get me through to someone that could. I've done it before, I know it works. I'm not bashing them for how they handled it, I wasn't there. However, I would have handled it differently.
Now lets say the dude is just some random crazy guy that believes the story in his mind. Yep, I'm taking his gun and putting it in the property room, and taking him to the Crisis Center for a psych evaluation.
On the other hand, he(SEAL) should have had his military ID with him. I believe all military persons are required to carry their military ID with them at all times. At least that is what I have been told in the past. That would have taken care of the whole issue.
There are many ways to look at this and be open minded or point fingers. Could the cops have been more diligent and thorough in their job? Yes. Could the SEAL have been more diligent and thorough in carrying his ID or needed documentation? Yes. However, the cops did nothing outside of the law or what is expected of them.
There are though, some cops out there that give the rest of us a bad name.

Sorry for the long reply.

At this point, I think it may be more accurate to say...WAS a SEAL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At this point, I think it may be more accurate to say...WAS a SEAL. </div></div>What he is suspected of doing will be the first clue. How the plate comes back will be the second clue. Producing proper ID is the third clue. A short conversation will likely fill-in the gaps. I can imagine that in NYC it would not be completely unheard-of to come across a drunk driver with a Dip. passport or an event similar to that. There are mechanisms, meaning policies, for handling this type of thing. Something tells me thet there is more to the story than only what was reported.

During the build up to Desert Storm we were told to remove military stickers from out vehicles. Also, not to show our military ID outside of the base. Being a E-2 why would I question that.

I don't know maybe if your a SEAL they wouldn't want you to carry your military ID just in case, so you could deny being a SEAL if terrorist we trying to get a SEAL. However, still would need it to get back on base I would think.

Was he carrying the Sig Mark 25 with 3 mags? Dude that's a dead give away that he's a SEAL. Oh wait Sig just released that to the public, never mind.

I just don't understand how he could not have some Federal paper authorizing his carry anywhere, if such a thing exists for them. i can't understand why he didn't have ID, which I know does. This is New York City, where they arrest and charge you at the airport for reporting you have a unloaded legal handgun in you checked luggage, as you are legally required to do.
In NYC,if you don't have a NYC legal gun, almost impossible, then you aren't legal and get a felony charge.Ignorance is no excuse.

As for being a SEAL. Well, there are SEALs like Team 6 or whatever they are called now, and UDT/SEALs who are frogmen, not SEALs. Who he was with matters. All SEALs are not the same.
And I agree,he WAS a SEAL,because I doubt he willdo a better job of talking his way out of this to his CO than he did with the NYPD. Best he can for is a long stretch in the scuba locker filling tanks and mopping the floor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought SEALs, JSOC, & D Co. 5SF Group were all required to carry at all times. Pretty sure the National Command Authority outranks the goon squad in NY. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, it makes to much sense to have elite forces being armed during these times.</div></div>

Are they? Not that I don't believe you, but I wouldn't mind seeing some sources. Just curious. </div></div>

Actually when on leave we r required to comply with local laws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retired5301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought SEALs, JSOC, & D Co. 5SF Group were all required to carry at all times. Pretty sure the National Command Authority outranks the goon squad in NY. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, it makes to much sense to have elite forces being armed during these times.</div></div>

Are they? Not that I don't believe you, but I wouldn't mind seeing some sources. Just curious. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Actually when on leave we r required to comply with local laws.</span> </div></div>

And we have a winner!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During the build up to Desert Storm we were told to remove military stickers from out vehicles. Also, not to show our military ID outside of the base. Being a E-2 why would I question that.

I don't know maybe if your a SEAL they wouldn't want you to carry your military ID just in case, so you could deny being a SEAL if terrorist we trying to get a SEAL. However, still would need it to get back on base I would think.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Was he carrying the Sig Mark 25 with 3 mags? Dude that's a dead give away that he's a SEAL.</span> Oh wait Sig just released that to the public, never mind. </div></div>

A dead giveaway to other SEALs and SEAL fanboys maybe. To an average dumb, lazy street cop, doubtful.

I doubt that SEALs have any special military ID that identifies who they are and what they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for being a SEAL. Well, there are SEALs like Team 6 or whatever they are called now, and UDT/SEALs who are frogmen, not SEALs. Who he was with matters. All SEALs are not the same.
And I agree,he WAS a SEAL,because I doubt he willdo a better job of talking his way out of this to his CO than he did with the NYPD. Best he can for is a long stretch in the scuba locker filling tanks and mopping the floor. </div></div>

There used to be UDT teams and SEAL teams. However, since the jobs were so closely related they did away with the UDT teams. I think it was the early 80's when that happened.

If you remember Somalia the SEALs did a beach landing for recon and all the cameras where there to watch them come out of the water. That would have been a UDT team if they were still around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During the build up to Desert Storm we were told to remove military stickers from out vehicles. Also, not to show our military ID outside of the base. Being a E-2 why would I question that.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Was he carrying the Sig Mark 25 with 3 mags? Dude that's a dead give away that he's a SEAL.</span> Oh wait Sig just released that to the public, never mind. </div></div>

A dead giveaway to other SEALs and SEAL fanboys maybe. To an average dumb, lazy street cop, doubtful.

I doubt that SEALs have any special military ID that identifies who they are and what they do. </div></div>

That was a joke based on Sig releasing the M25 to the civilian market.