• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(NC) 1 day Precision Rifle Course 18 Sept 2011

J.Boyette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2003
    NC
    1 day Precision Rifle Course 18 Sept 2011

SDC10795.jpg

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]<span style="font-weight: bold">When:</span> 18 Sept 2011[*]<span style="font-weight: bold">Time:</span> 0700hrs to 1700hrs[*] <span style="font-weight: bold">Where: www.dprc.org</span>[*] Student limit: 4 to 12[*] Student to instructor ratio: worst case 3:1 [*] <span style="font-weight: bold">Cost Training base rates:</span>[*]$150 non-DPRC Members [*]$100 For DPRC Members * contact us with club member number[*]Special rates for LE / Mil Students * contact us
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Shopping Cart</span> or Money Order to <span style="font-weight: bold">Trace Armory Group</span>

We are offering the following equipment to the class as a bundle deal at a extra fee and will be delivered the day of training:[*] Blue Force Vickers sling, OD-green, black or coyote [*] Vltor quick disconnect mounts
    or[*]Michaels of Oregon Mil-Spec mounts[*] Storm Tactical data book [/list]
    You can get any combo of gear if you like, or just the class, it’s up to you.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Outline:</span>
    We use the NRA Basic Rifle Course as the heart of the curriculum. The NRA course is a great starting point and gets the student on the correct path. Trace Armory Group also falls back on the years of experience of the cadre to focus on the act of firing a single round accurately to turn this course to the best single day foundation of precision rifle training any student could ask for.

NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course: Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe use of a rifle in target shooting. This course includes the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; rifle parts and operation; ammunition; range time learning shooting fundamentals to shoot a rifle out to <span style="font-weight: bold">300 yards</span>; range rules; shooting from the bi-pod / loop and hasty sling supported prone, cleaning, and continued opportunities for skill development from the NRA and Trace Armory Group.

Students will receive the NRA Basics of Rifle Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Rifle Shooting Student Examination.

The areas that we focus on and add more information to the NRA course, is the use and proper execution of the following:
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] In-depth focus of the fundamentals of marksmanship [*] Basic understanding of MOA and or MilRad units of measure[*] Understanding of the bullet drop chart[*] Adjustment or hold over / under of the optic to bullet drop[*] Training as a shooting coach [*] Understanding how to fill out a shooter log book[*] Introduction to the use of a sling for positional shooting[*] Proper use of the bi-pod [/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Course Qualification Certificates:</span> NRA Basic Rifle Course Certificate and Trace Armory Group Certificate of 10 hours of training.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Equipment to bring:</span>
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]short action chambered rifle capable of 1 1/2" groups @ 100yds (semi or manual operated) [*]Easily adjustable scope "no reflex scopes" / Aimpoint / EO-Tech's, ACOG’s OK![*]Bi-pod and/or a back pack[*]Leather or nylon sling[*]Rear Bag[*]Cleaning gear for rifle[*]Pen, pencil, highlighter, and black marker[*]A notebook[*]Rifle data book [*]Calculator[*]Eye and ear protection[*]Long sleeved shirt and long pants[*]Durable footwear [*]Camel-back or other water system [*]Gloves to support your hand when slung up[*]Rucksack or backpack to carry <span style="font-weight: bold">all</span> gear or to shoot off of [*] Ammunition 150 rnds of match grade ammunition (handloads good as long as safe to use)[/list]

If you have any questions please let me know.

John

Re: (NC) 1 day Precision Rifle Course 18 Sept 2011

If you keep an email list please add me to be notified of the next class. 18 September is a work day for me and there is no exceptions to getting out of it.

Thanks

Yerby Ray

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yerbyray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you keep an email list please add me to be notified of the next class. 18 September is a work day for me and there is no exceptions to getting out of it.

Thanks

Yerby Ray </div></div>

will do.

John

Guys,

This is filling up QUICK

If you want to make it, please let me know ASAP.

John

Guys,

We have slots open.

This is a great way to get introduced to precision rifle shooting for field environments. This course is a stepping stone to learn how to operate a manual or semi auto rifle with high accuracy.

If you ever wanted to shoot F-Class, service rifle, highpower and tactical matches this is a great way to get a feel of what is needed to do so.

John

This sounds like fun. I am not sure what a short action rifle is, does a bolt action fit the bill?

Thanks

short action example .308, .223, most of the basic deer hunting calibers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 38Revolver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds like fun. I am not sure what a short action rifle is, does a bolt action fit the bill?

Thanks </div></div>

Short action, smaller then 30-06 in cartridge OAL. Like a .223 up to a .308 brass round, .243 and so on.

I do this to keep the cost down for the shooter and recoil abuse on the shooter.

Learning is the same on a .223 and a 338LM for basic Precision Riflemanship. So why not shoot s lighter, cheaper caliber?

Thanks for the great question.

John

Rogering up for this course if any spots are still open... Can I pay dues apon arrival?
    PM Sent J.Boyette

W-W.

yes I have two slots still open.

I replyed to your PM.

Let me know if I can help in any way ok.

John

I would also like to know when the next course will be offered. I am very interested, but only saw this post today.

Add me to your email list: cfroeschl (at) rockymountva.org

I attended Johns basic course today.

First impression - very well laid out and taught by an individual
    with more knowledge than I could wrap my brain around in one day
    (although that may be a product of jarhead-ness right?) haha...

I'm not sure how far in depth I should go due to his course curriculum
    being just that, a private curriculum, but John made sure everyone in
    the class was fallowing along and wasn't lost within the material. He also covered a VERY broad range of topics in a well thought out course.

Everything from assesing a proper prone position, use of a databook (which I now see how much I need one), shooting slung, barracades, establishing and confirming dope, ect...ect..

He took guys who appeared to have shown up with bone stock carbines with little experience from the prone position and had them shooting with the proper position and mentality very fast.

In short - money well spent in my eyes.

John, thanks to you and the folks at www.dprc.org (awesome facility by the way) for hosting this. I am without a doubt going to be hopping on your intermediate course as soon as I get everything you tought us today sorted out.

M.L. Thaxton

I attended this class as the beginner... Most of the topics I had no hands on experience with. John took his time to explain why and how each idea was applied, and took the time to answer questions until things sunk in.

I had a great time, and learned how to shoot off a bipod properly. How to get into prone position repeatably. How the proper prone position brings the rifle back on target without much interaction. This is probably the biggest thing I took away from the class, as without the ability to follow through it is hard to put the rifle back in the same spot.

We learned how to use a rifle data book. This class will save more money in ammo than the cost of the class this year on account every shot is recorded, verified, and thought about.

We learned to keep the same hold and how to a cheek weld to the stock, the same way every time. I learned that with a sling I have to change my cheek weld as eye relief goes out the window. I also learned that my scope rings are to tall.

I learned that my rifle needs to be bedded and the barrel free floated. I saw that the 5th shot in a string was a flier, every time out of an ambient temp barrel. I shot the same number of rounds from 8-5 that I normally would have in a 2 hour time at the range plinking.

We learned that heavy rifles have their place. That scopes with mil-dots probably should have mil-adjustment knobs... So that what you measure at 300+ yards with the scope is the same as what you dial on. BDC scopes leave a fair bit to be desired in figuring range without a laser range finder. We also learned about mechanical offset, and canted scope bases and rings... and why they work.

Then we learned about turret caps, their use, and what this means to those of us who have never used anything but a hunting rifle scope and a penny.

We learned how to use a Mildot master, which I had never heard about before. Then I learned to appreciate it.

I learned about how to bore sight a rifle, without a laser. To sight in at 100 yards and hit paper, the first time. We learned how to calculate out bullet drop at 100, 200, 300 yards on paper, and also in the real world without tables and data pages.

We learned how to take that bullet drop measure, and calculate the number of clicks, moa's, mil's, or leagues and make changes to our scopes to bring the point of aim and point of impact to the same spot.

Then we learned how to do it with no math... and without walking back to the target. (Given scope power, quality and ability to see that far! Black stickers and white stickers are good.)

We learned about hitting targets you can't see behind berm, and dialing in our bullet drop. This was mind blowing, as you know the bullet flies in an arc... but I never connected that it went that much higher above point of aim.

We spent a bit of time talking about barricades and how to use them. This is where breathing control was interesting, I forgot to breath which after a few shots makes it hard to hold anything steady!

Until this class, I could hit steel out to 300 just dialing on elevation as a hornady book had to say for my 7.62x54r... but other than plinking I didn't know why or how the bullet got there.

I'll take another one of John's classes. With what I learned in this class, I won't be shooting moment of a football!

Zach

The above critiques of John's class are well stated. I will second that John has an excellent WORKING knowledge of his courses of instruction. He is also genuinely concerned that his methods of instruction are understood and has the ability to paint many pictures of the same topic.

I am not new to using a precision rifle/scope combination and have shot 1000yd br for many years but have walked away from John's courses the better. I will continue to take his courses. Money well spent.