• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(NC) 27 Aug Juniper Swamp Match

J.Boyette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2003
    NC
    logo-2.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">When:</span> 27 Aug 2011 start time 08:30 range open at 07:30
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Cost:</span> Pre-Pay of $45 per-person for CC processing <span style="font-weight: bold">Shopping cart</span> or MO/PC please mail to Trace Armory Group <span style="font-weight: bold">T.A.G.</span>
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Round Count:</span> 80
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Where:</span> Range 10 Butner NC <span style="font-weight: bold">Directions</span>
    Limit: 40 Shooters

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Gate marker for range 10</span>
    IMG_1827_1828.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overview of the range</span>
    DSCN0769.jpg

COF

Pop-up targets out to 800yds, precision rifle needed, match ammo also.

Targets will be hit / miss computer controlled scoring on a timer.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] You will engage from 100 to 500yds the first relay.[*] Then shoot on the mover for 1 engagement[*] Lastly you will engage from 400 to 800yds[/list]
    This is all done as a single sitting on the line. we will have three lanes (three shooters) at a time until your whole match is finished.

Points: each distance of the target divided by 10 EXAMPLE : 250yds = 25pts per hit, 500yds = 50pts

You will be ranked by the hit ratio of targets presented to you, and the amount you hit, and the point value of the targets you engaged. EXAMPLE 30 targets you hit 20 = 66% hit ratio

Scoring will be based by hit ratio and points the highest of the two wins.

Also we will have a bonus scoring. We will set the round count to reflect the target presented to you a 1 for 1 ratio. we will add a extra 6rnds to the round count. If you clean the targets, each extra round you have will be worth 20pts each bonus. These bonus points only count if you clean the whole target spread.

DSCN0836.jpg

We will close down the range at 3pm. If we finish the match before 3pm we will have a open range for all to enjoy!!!!

Please hit me up if you have any questions

John

Re: (NC) 27 Aug Juniper Swamp Match

Thats great guys,

Keep in mind we only have 40 slots and 10 are locked in due to payments that have been sent in in less then 24 hours.

We are going to have a great time. The last match we ran 10 shooters in less then 1 hour. So if we fill up we will still have alot of open range time before 3pm.

John

going to try to make this one if work schedule permits

Done, order placed through your website. This is gonna be interesting. I've never done a competition before, and I'll be running a new build. It'll be a learning experience, that's for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Done, order placed through your website. This is gonna be interesting. I've never done a competition before, and I'll be running a new build. It'll be a learning experience, that's for sure. </div></div>

This is a great place to start. I popped my cherry at the July match. John and Rob ran a great match. There were some very seasoned shooters there and they were happy to lend a helping hand to me.

My work schedule just cleared up. I just signed up. Looking forward to shooting with you guys again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prone only? </div></div>

Unfortunately yes, due to the time frame and speed of the targets, changing from a sitting, or kneeling to prone of what ever other slung position would make the shooters miss targets no matter how fast they are.

So I went a head and did just prone. Now the last Juniper Swamp of the year, you need to come out to in Oct/Nov we will be back at Glenn's and the use of the sling will come back to play.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So I went a head and did just prone.
    </div></div>

I know how much this hurts you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So I went a head and did just prone.
    </div></div>

I know how much this hurts you.
    </div></div>

You sign up yet Ratbert ?

Are you kidding? I am the one who harassed him into turning the signup page on.

I missed the last one because it was my anniversary, but fortunately that's only once a year...

Unfortunately my 64 year old neck won't allow me to do prone. I was looking for ELR from a bench.

i'll be there, and let it be known the WSM is a hammer just ask the guys at reade range.

I want to thank the guys that sent me PMs. However, I'm not looking for special treatment.
    My wife and I live in a motorhome and travel around the USA. We are currently in Ohio visiting friends and relatives until shortly after Labor Day. Then after a couple stops, we plan on staying in NC near Kinston for a month (mid Sept to mid Oct) visiting the wife's oldest son & his family.
    While here in OH, I shot the monthly long range rifle match at Rayner's Range and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hoping to find something similar to shoot in NC while I am there.
    The format at Rayner's involves two benches at each of six stations with plenty of room for prone. Three or four shooters shoot one at a time (with spotters) at steel targets from 235 to 1000 yards. Steel size varies from 2.25"x4" to 18"x28". At four of the stations shooters have a choice of targets with different point values.
    44 shooters competed and I finished tied for 20th. Not too bad for my first ever competition. But I intend to do better at the Aug 28 match.

Guys,

You all need to pre register per this post if you want to lock in your slot you need to pay the match fee's. I have no issues with walk on's for cash the day of the match. But if its full by pre-registered shooters, walk ons will no be able to shoot.

Limit is 40 people

Just want to clear the air here and get all of you that want to shoot the ability to.

I would hate for someone to post here and think there slot is locked in. Because its not. Only paid slots are locked in.

Have a great week.

J.Boyette,

Raleigh resident and long time 'long range plinker' but have never been to a tactical match.

1. Is this an appropriate event for a first time competitor?
    2. Are there open slots?

If so, I'm going to register.
    Thanks

I say hell yes great 1st time match!!! My son and grandaughter are coming in from Co or I would be there!! These matches are the best way to get a feel for your kit and if you like the format

Just my 2 cents

Semper Fi

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: throwback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J.Boyette,

Raleigh resident and long time 'long range plinker' but have never been to a tactical match.

2. Are there open slots?

Thanks
    </div></div>

Sir,

Branson hit it on the head. My matches will test you on skillsets that you can not find any where else.

As far as being a new shooter, yes we are a great bunch of guys, and love to help out. After the match I will give pointers and make it smoother. But its kind of like cheating if I do it before the match
    smile.gif

Come on out, you will love the course of fire.

John

Johns matches are great for new shooters, there isn't too much technical stuff you have to know. Your not doing anything crazy like movers or loophole movers like at some of the other bigger or more technical matches. I shot my first match at glens farm with them and I won with a stock 700 .308. Just know your dope and be confident in yourself and equipment, and you will be very competitive.
    hope this helps,
    Adam

This match we will have mover.

so thats a chance sine its at Butner
    smile.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: throwback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J.Boyette,

2. Are there open slots?

Thanks
    </div></div>

Just to echo everyone else... Yes! This is a great match for a first time competitor. The July JST match was my first match and everyone was very safe and very helpful to a new shooter. C'mon out man, you'll have a blast.

Consider signing up for the next day Mildot Reticle class. Best money I've spent on training!

well I stand corrected, but if anyone needs help with anything like movers or something like a defilade target the other competitors are very helpful and will not hesitate to help someone out.

AJ,

No worries,

For now on, when the crops are in at Glenn's, we will shoot at Butner, when the crops are gone we will be back at Glenn's.

I like this setup because it gives you all two locations during the year to shoot matches.

Both locations offer a totally different match setting and feel. At Glenn's we are more free in what we offer but more static type targets, paper, steel and all due to the cost of movers and pop-ups. We do the best we can with a great farm to shoot on. As you all know we shoot all kinds of stuff at Glenn's farm.

At Butner we are limited to only shooting human size pop-ups and movers out to 900yds.

What a bad deal right
    smile.gif

John

I am at about 15 or so.

So we have ALOT of room.

John

-Are Kestrel meters allowed at tactical matches in general, and this match specifically?

I have never had any matches I shot restrict a Kestrel. I have had a bunch restrict range finders

No lasers keep it 300WM or under when shooting steel and thats about it.

John

How does timing enter in to it? Do the targets pop up at unknown ranges, we range them, dope wind, and fire? If so, how much time to do this? Do we have the opportunity to examine (measure) the targets beforehand? Is there any bonus for speed? Should I bring multiple magazines if I am able to attend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does timing enter in to it? Do the targets pop up at unknown ranges, we range them, dope wind, and fire? If so, how much time to do this? Do we have the opportunity to examine (measure) the targets beforehand? </div></div>

GREAT questions!!

Let me explain.

The computer is programed to expose the target based of distance. So for the close targets, the time is less, for the longer range targets the time is more.

This is to simulate a combat training situation. The idea is this.

Targets past 500yds will be exposed for a longer time, due to the distance from cover to cover in that area. The closer targets will be shorter timelines do to the target popping up, and popping back down again due to the combat situation you are in.

So as far as you are concerned, you will be on lets say lane 1.

At the start of the match you will look down range and 1 or 2 target will pop-up (100 to 500). The closest one will be exposed the least of time, the grater distance target will be up for longer. This lets you engage the closest target first, and go long range, just like in combat and repeat.

Now you will not be given the distances, and you will not be able to use a laser. you ask why not? Well in combat 99% of the time you will not have time to do all of that and make a range card. We are simulating a situation you deployed too and have to deal with the card handed to you.

Its not hard, each target has a little berm to its front and you can eye-ball most of them and get the right distance within n 50yds, and you are able to correct your shots.

Notice this, its not X shots at each target. Its a total of 80rnds, so bang away to a point if you need to gain a hit. Its what happens in the real world too.

Same is true with the mover. You get 1 exposed target moving 1 direction, how many rounds is up to your ability to hit a moving target. Just like combat.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to try and make it to this. Been a bit since Ive shot some "Angry Ivans". </div></div>

that would be GREAT if you can make it up here.

Its going to be a great fun time for us all.

John

Thanks for the reply! I edited my post while you were replying. I will bring magazines. What are the targets?

TY. This looks like a ****load of fun, and I will try to make it!

Jon,

80 max.

Thanks

John

Can't tell from the pics if that's an RO or a spotter. Are we allowed spotters?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snyper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't tell from the pics if that's an RO or a spotter. Are we allowed spotters? </div></div>

Thats a RO, no spotters for the match.

Its not a team event.

Great question.

John

guys,

we are a week out, we have slots open.

So if you are on the fince on this get off it ad come on out
    wink.gif

john

John,
    I was wondering if there was going to be a problem with all the hurricane stuff thats supposed to come through this weekend?

Adam

AJ,

we are going forward with the match. All forcasts put ot WAY east and south of us in Sat night timeframe.

map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Look at the block <span style="font-weight: bold">115mph cat 3</span> Butner is between the block and the red line. So we are good to go and will hold the match.

One thing going for us is the match goes quickly. We will be done around noon if not before is anyone needs to head east or south afterwards.

Oh, also think of the great wind calls
    smile.gif

See you on the range.

Yeah, glad I'm not shooting a .223!! I'll be there then.
    Thanks
    Adam