• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing NC buck down.

Chucky

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
I shot this buck on Sunday. Buck was at 260 yards. Shot him with a Barnes TSX at 2625 at the muzzle out of my .308. Small entrance wound and exit wound. Very little blood until he ran about 130 yards then he finally started to bleed. I would definitely not recommend TSX bullets for thin skinned game where it is not hitting bone or blood. Going to be switching for certain after this. I have had a lot better success with SMK bullets compared to these TSX.
20191124_204720.jpg

Nice buck!
I agree, unless you're pushing the TSX really fast they don't expand consistently. I highly recommend the Nosler Accubonds for hunting, I've never had a bullet failure with them.

Reactions: BCX
I always thought that the TSX bullet is for much heavier game. The TAC-TX at 2400-ish (300AAC) works great on deer.

Nice buck! I dig the height that those NC buck antlers tend to have. It’s interesting though about the TSX. Assuming you were shooting the 165’s at 260 you should still have 1500ish ft/lbs of energy (according to my AB app). I guess those bullets don’t do a good job transferring all that energy into medium sized game.

Push them fast and break shoulders. Drop down to a 130. Light for caliber is where they shine on deer.

Nice buck!
I agree, unless you're pushing the TSX really fast they don't expand consistently. I highly recommend the Nosler Accubonds for hunting, I've never had a bullet failure with them.

I am going to try the ELDX first. The accubond says it needs to stay above 1800fps and with this .308 and that property I would have to losd them super hot and still not be able to shoot some of the longer stands. These TSX just punched through and this wasn't the only time this happened using them.

I always thought that the TSX bullet is for much heavier game. The TAC-TX at 2400-ish (300AAC) works great on deer.
I smacked a doe at 50 yards with my 10 inch. 300 blk a few years ago and she ran another 30 yards and I had to shoot her in the neck. Looking back other than killing thick skinned hogs I have had less then optimal performance with their bullets.

Nice buck! I dig the height that those NC buck antlers tend to have. It’s interesting though about the TSX. Assuming you were shooting the 165’s at 260 you should still have 1500ish ft/lbs of energy (according to my AB app). I guess those bullets don’t do a good job transferring all that energy into medium sized game.
I was shooting the 168's so at that distance I still had over 1600ft lbs of energy. I thought it wouldn't be an issue but that was not the case. I am going to shoot high shoulder till I get rid of all of these and then switch to a thinner jacketed projectile for deer that has a lead core to expand at lower velocities.

This was my NC buck from last year. This guy was tall. With all the kickers her net scored 175 5/8.

Attachments

• received_2366540153432887.jpeg
    received_2366540153432887.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 52
Push them fast and break shoulders. Drop down to a 130. Light for caliber is where they shine on deer.

I hate waisting shoulders, but with these I guess that is what I have to do. Once I burn through these though I am not buying more I can say that unless I am shooting something thick skinned and then it is a maybe.

FWIW,
I had very inconsistent results with the ELD-X and M in 6.5's. Some penciled and some just blew up.

I've killed elk, deer, and antelope from 50yds to 900yds with the Accubonds and I've yet to not see one expand perfectly and everything has been DRT or dead within 20yds and we've stacked some bodies(well over 100 biggame kills with the Accubonds or Long Range Accubonds in .264, .284, and .308 calibers).

I have 100% complete confidence in the Accubonds,

FWIW,
I had very inconsistent results with the ELD-X and M in 6.5's. Some penciled and some just blew up.

I've killed elk, deer, and antelope from 50yds to 900yds with the Accubonds and I've yet to not see one expand perfectly and everything has been DRT or dead within 20yds and we've stacked some bodies(well over 100 biggame kills with the Accubonds or Long Range Accubonds in .264, .284, and .308 calibers).

Thank you. Nosler recommended velocities over 1800 fps but if they perform well at slower velocities also I will grab some of those instead.

Reactions: Wyfox
FWIW,

The bonded core prevents the breakup of the bullet on larger animals or when hitting bone. That allows the front of the bullet to be designed relatively sensitive to softer targets.

One of the best solution for good energy dump on thin skinned game with reliable penetration on bigger animals are IMO the H-jacketed RWS bullets. The hunting seasons in Germany are several month long and overlap for many species. You never know whether you run into a scrawny roe deer or a massive Eurasian boar. The H-jacket does an excellent job on both. The front of the bullet dumps a lot of energy in even the lightest game and the rear part of the bullet, resembling an FMJ, will blow through even the biggest critters.

The closest thing to this on the US market is the Nosler partition.

Last edited:
I smacked a doe at 50 yards with my 10 inch. 300 blk a few years ago and she ran another 30 yards and I had to shoot her in the neck. Looking back other than killing thick skinned hogs I have had less then optimal performance with their bullets.
Did you use the TAC-TX with the long ogive and black tip? I found them to be rather violent, even at lower Vm.
Here is a video that shows similar results.

The TSX bullets OTOH act like FMJs on light game.

Did you use the TAC-TX with the long ogive and black tip? I found them to be rather violent, even at lower Vm.
Here is a video that shows similar results.

The TSX bullets OTOH act like FMJs on light game.
I was using the 168 grain non-tipped TSX.

What county was it shot in? I shot a tall buck last week here in Pitt Co. Definitely doesnt have the inches your buck has but hes home grown here at the house. Been watching him since the spring.
Screenshot_20191126-123156_Gallery.jpg
20190930_165530.jpg