• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up NC Class 3 owners or future owners..... Great News

flatlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern NC
I wanted to let everyone in NC know that today the NC NFA Defense Association which I am co-chair of, rec'd acknowledgement from the NFA branch of the ATF that after legal review of the Dec 2011 change in the NC Law, they confirmed an MG permit from the Sheriff is no longer required based on the following conditions.

Below is an email explanation from my co-chair and president of the NC NFA DA Jeff Lawrence along with a link to the email he rec'd from Dana Pickles NFA Examiner

As of January 11th 2013:

1. SOT transfer for MG's no longer require a NC MG PERMIT

2. Non-Sot transfers of machineguns no longer require a permit UNLESS you put Scientific research and/or experimentation or reference 14-409 in section 15. If you use those reasons you will need a permit, apparently because of where they are placed in the statute regarding the permit.. The if any other Federally acceptable reason was used in section 15 such as (Collection, Investment, Sport Shooting etc) that the transfer would proceed without a permit. He further stated that this was also applicable to Trust and LLC's.
(side note: it is ironic that the verbiage that used to be required, is the verbiage that now will get you zinged and require a permit, but all other Federally acceptable reasons will not require a permit)

3. All other transfers (NON MG) no longer had to conform to the verbiage of/nor refer to NC 14-288.8

attached is the Email from Mr. Pickles and he advised in the interim period for all new transfers to print and enclose a copy of this email, just in case another examiner happened to be assisting him.

Mr. Pickles also stated to "not be surprised" if some forms were still kicked back if another examiner happened to be helping him out with NC, that it would take some time to filter through, but that enclosing said email would aid in preventing kickbacks. He also said that forms already in the system may be kicked back, but just to send them back with a copy of this email.

Many thanks to Mr. Pickles for going above and beyond in his efforts.
He has my Personal gratitude... as do my partners at the NC NFA DA and GRNC for the tireless years of efforts in enacting these changes.

Jeff Lawrence
President NC NFA Defense Association.
[email protected]

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i442/jefflaw45/NEW-ATF_zpsb71aa3bf.jpg

Regards

TB

Wow, I am glad I stumbled upon this post. I sent in a form 4 for a can early February with reference to NC 14-288.8. I hope they don't kick it back.

Thanks for your hard work. This was a terrible, silly work around and glad it is fixed.

help me understand how if at all this will effect cans? so just the tax stamp no longer need leo permission? or is this just for mg's? please excuse my ignorance. thanks