• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing NC Coyote hunting during deer bow-season

twadsw01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Durham, NC
I went out this past Sunday on private land with a buddy who was bow hunting for deer (I don't own a bow), to watch him hunt. He did not get one, but we did see a coyote chasing a large doe about 60 yards from our stands. This got me thinking about possibly trying to coyote hunt a little bit before the official deer season comes in in Eastern NC (Oct. 16th, 2010). If you've done a search through the NC Hunting Regulations Digest, you know that one can become quickly confused with all the rules and exceptions concerning carrying of firearms during non-game animal seasons and during non-firearms seasons for game animals.

I'm writing this post to pass along the 'official' word on the gun laws during non-firearms deer seasons in NC, having gotten this information directly from Wake County Wildlife Officer, Jonathan Morgan.

He said that if hunting on private land during bow and/or muzzleloading seasons for deer (non-firearms seasons), the safest bet is to not be carrying a rifle at all (in my case, a 5.56mm/.223) for hunting ANY animal because interpretation of firearm hunting law in NC is left up to the officer who's charging you with a violation. He also told me that it is not lawful to have the rifle at all on public gamelands during non-firearms seasons for deer, even though coyote is "in season" (quotes because coyotes are never out-of-season in NC).

So there it is. The man has spoken.

Re: NC Coyote hunting during deer bow-season

In MS one must have a Nuisance animal permit to hunt them during the regular hunting season. Otherwise you will be busted for hunting whatever with the rifle. If you have the permit you are good. Any land owner with acreage can get one. 50ac I think.

Just out of wonder, how do they prove what you were hunting? Is there a written law that states they don't have to. I ask because I hunt all year for the small and fury that is in season and unless they catch me shooting at, or with a dead deer/elk what ever, it is not illegal, which they never will catch me, because I don't shoot at them(illegal game that is). I thought this is way in all the catching poachers videos you see, they have to wait till you take a shot at the bait before busting them?

As an LEO in NC I would NOT go coyote hunting during bow season. You are asking for a Rabbit Sheriff (Game Warden) to take your gun, possibly your truck, ATV or anything else that you used during the hunt plus give you a ticket that will be very costly to get out of, if you can.

If you wanted to go the extra mile you could call your local Game Warden office and speak with him and see what he could advise but I am sure that he will tell you not to but if you could explain to him where you are going to be hunting at he might be willing to listen and that way he would know that you are not deer hunting and you could see if he would be willing work with youy over it.

Good luck and hopefully things will work out for you.

And as a side note remember you can not spot light, use NV, or those little green laser things in NC due to the fact that you can not use artificial light to take any type of wild game or varmit. And I have asked the Sergeant over my district to see if there is a way around the light law if I hunted coyotes in the summer when there is no other season open and they said no in a not so nice way.

The bestn time to hunt Yodlers is January through March...

Their breeding season....the females usually start denning up (making a home for the unborn puppies) by March

i am also NC law enforcement and asked the same question to game warden in court one day. he told me that most times they will sit at your vehicle and observe it. and that a note and contact info stating your intentions could do nothing but help your case when you are talking to the warden in the field.

its one of those things that the more you do to show them that you are not shooting anything but coyotes the better. because at the end of the day its a judgement call for the warden.

Camel, leaving a note is a very idea. I would think most wardens would appreciate that note, some may fluff it off as a decoy.

Groundhogs are also open season during the "non-firearm" bow seasons. While I have never been tangled up with a warden, I have hunted for groundhogs a lot during bow seasons.

A foxpro, Jack-in-the-box and a 223 are pretty obvious as far as intent goes. You put a buck grunt or doe estrous on the call and your screwed. I think a Warden would be hard pressed to prove you were doing other than predator hunting if you play by the rules. Call your local DGIF and let them know where you're hunting and what you're doing. It goes a long ways
wink.gif

Its kinda like hog hunting for ferel pig in NC Buddy of mine will call the local guys/officer each time and say hey I am gonna be hog hunting here in case you get a report of shots after dark. He's never had a problem and they have actually checked him several times and even asked him for meat before. I think the same would be said for yote hunting.

I for one know Wildlife officer Morgan here in Wake County NC. He's fairly new to the job less than 2 years. He still has alot to learn. I work with a local Law enforcement agency 17 years. GET PERMISSION TO DO THE TYPE OF HUNTING YOU WANT IN WRITING 1ST FROM LAND OWNER. Be it coyotes or ground hogs or deer. Have this on your person at all times while hunting. Game wardens in the state of NC do not have the right to enter on private property without a complaint. They cannot just drive on private property and start checking for hunting violations.The reason i know this is Superior court Honorable Judge D.Stephenson Wake County NC advised several OF THEM OF SAME AND DISMISSED CHARGES THEY FILED. State your hunting intentions in a note on your vehicle. 99% of the time local Sheriff office get the inital call for service/hunting violations here in Wake county NC.and handle same. Wardens do have alot of descretion in charging for violations.Morgan should have also told you that its illegal to hunt deer with .22 caliber rifle in this state.I myself have encountered numorus small game hunters during deer season on state registered land. The Majority of the time you can tell what type of table fair a person is hunting .Do not mean to be hard on Warden Morgan but he has written several other LEO'S citation for game offense that were later dismissed beacuse the the offense failed to meet all the elements required to charge. Wildlife Officer Brent Ward would be a better person to talk with. He is also asigned to Wake County NC.

SGT Two. I am curious about the part that a .22 cal is illegal in NC. I have been through every page of the regulations digest and called several times to confirm you can use a 223 in NC legally. Am I missing something? not calling you a liar just curious where your information comes from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVT_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SGT Two. I am curious about the part that a .22 cal is illegal in NC. I have been through every page of the regulations digest and called several times to confirm you can use a 223 in NC legally. Am I missing something? not calling you a liar just curious where your information comes from? </div></div>

Look at the regulations, it will address rimfire or centerfire. Read the regulation highlight the areas you are unsure of. Call the <span style="text-decoration: underline">LAW OFFICE </span>of DNR ask the questions you have highlighted.

I have. only restiction i see is on pistol cals. they must be over .24 nothing restricting rifle centerfire

This is what the NC regulations digests lists as rules for pistols and rifles for big game. Pistols must .24 or larger...no designation listed or restriction for rifles. I would like to see anywhere it is listed that .223 caliber is illegal for deer because I have never found it either.

This is all it says about rifles in the regulations digest:
Rifles
-Rifles are prohibited by federal law in hunting migratory game birds.
-Local laws prohibit or restrict rifles in some counties.
-It is unlawful to hunt or take wild turkeys with rifles.

And furthermore, here http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/H_FAQs.htm#caliber under FAQ on the NC Fish and Game dept website they say:

What is the smallest caliber rifle I can hunt with?

<span style="font-weight: bold">We do not, by statute, define what type of rifle you can hunt with. .22 caliber rifles are legal for taking big game by state law</span>, if they conform to federal firearm guidelines. You cannot use rifles to take/hunt migratory birds or wild turkey. Some local laws also prohibit or may have restrictions on rifle use. Please see the Local Laws section of the Regulations Digest for further information.

You also only need written permission in some counties...they are listed in the county briefs of the regulation digest.