• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NC Hunting - Hog and Coyote

JohnJameson

Mr. Moxy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2021
Fort Bragg
Looking to start hunting hog and coyote. Does anyone know of land that is free or recommended to hunt on for hog and coyote?

Anyone have other recommendation for a novice?

AR Platform weapon
Suppressor
Night vision or thermal
A hide or elevated platform.

I used both 6.8spc and 300BO for them. Right in the ear.

Those did me well in FL

Dont much about NC though.

Doc

Reactions: JohnJameson
There are a lot of hogs in the south eastern part of the state. My buddy is killing them regularly(about one a month), but he is hunting right below the SC line just above Myrtle Beach. He is doing his killing during the daytime on public land. He walks and works quietly in his areas and has no problems getting on them. We also have an increase in the coyotes around Charlotte. Like Doc68 says, you will need thermal for them. Around here they are almost completely nocturnal.

I live about 35 minutes from Bragg. Not gonna find any public land to do either around here. Gonna have to find a landowner or lease. Hogs aren’t that common in Sampson, Harnett, or Cumberland Counties right now either. Maybe further east and south like mentioned above already. We used to have a decent pack of yotes around here, but haven’t heard much from them in the last year. I think they all died from covid

• Haha
I am in Harnett. No hogs. Coyotes no problem. Unless you try game lands private land is generally wrapped up mainly due to deer hunting. Coyotes here are primarily fields for us. Will be hard to break into open land without leasing. Definitely thermal.

NC still have the elevated shooting position restrictions on public lands for centerfire?
On a county to county basis. Don’t think it’s statewide. Don’t take my word for it

ETA, the hogs in Florida wouldn't react to green light. Any other light and they would spook. Could try a nice green light mounted to weapon if that is legal there.

I'm just speaking of Florida and its laws.

Get friendly with farmers there also, especially peanut farms. Hogs live them and will destroy a seasons worth of crops at night. My buddy would hunt farmers lands in florida. It was a win/win since he could hunt their private lands and also get meat and would protect the crops.

Hope this helps.

Doc

Texas, young man, Texas. They've got hogs coming out their ass's.

Texas, young man, Texas. They've got hogs coming out their ass's.

I love Texas. I plan to live there eventually. But for now, I'm stuck in NC.
If you’re coming, bring your wallet. Everyone wants you to help them solve their “hog problem.” Just $500 per hog, with a trophy fee over x lbs, and the daily fee, and the guide fee, and and and. If you’re charging people to “solve your problem,” you don’t have a problem…

If you’re coming, bring your wallet. Everyone wants you to help them solve their “hog problem.” Just $500 per hog, with a trophy fee over x lbs, and the daily fee, and the guide fee, and and and. If you’re charging people to “solve your problem,” you don’t have a problem…
Same in NC. Most land with hogs is already leased. Doesn’t mean stop looking just know it’s a business and they take it seriously in the Four Oaks area near Smithfield anyway.
Lights at night over a feeder or pile of sweet potatoes.
If you spot light with green or red. Start by aiming up and lower the light down on them to prevent spooking.

On a county to county basis. Don’t think it’s statewide. Don’t take my word for it
This is correct

Op, it would be best to get a regulations book, they have all the county rules.