• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NC Sniper training AAR

J.Boyette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2003
    NC
    l204326305.png

On 31 Oct 2011, Trace Armory Group held a Sniper training class for a County Sheriff’s office for the SRT Sniper section. This AAR is a rundown of what training we provided for them.

DSCN1993.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overview:</span> Trace Armory Group provides assessment’s and training events to Law Enforcement, Military units and civilian students. We design the training events around the student’s needs and their overall goals. We provide an assessment period on the students, then judge the skill level of the students, then focus on the needs improvement areas for that day. Once complete, we develop team bonding drills; all the while providing a non-judgmental professional environment. So each student can reach his / her best within the training time given.

DSCN2015.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Assessment COF</span>
    We started the training day off with our cold 9 round LEO Sniper assessment that included the following:
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] 1rnd: 25yd Offhand position shot (CBS) in the A zone of a USPSA target [*] 1rnd: Traversing from the 50yd to the 25yd line in the low ready, stop and engage from offhand position the A zone USPSA target[*] 1rnd: At 50yds from standing, drop to the kneeling position and engage a ¾ exposed A zone USPSA target adversary head target [*] 1rnd: Traversing from the 75yd to the 50yd line in the low ready, stop and drop to the kneeling position and engage a ¾ exposed A zone USPSA target adversary head target[*] 1rnd: at 75yds from standing, drop to the sitting position and engage a ½ exposed A zone USPSA target adversary head target [*] 1rnd: Traversing from the 100yd line to the 75yd line, drop to the sitting position and engage a ½ exposed A zone USPSA target adversary head target [*] 3rnds: Traversing from the 75yd line to the 100yd line, turn, and drop to the prone and engage with 3 rnd’s a ¼ exposed A zone USPSA target adversary head target
    [/list]

After each individual run is complete, as a group we moved down range to look and study the targets. Each Sniper gave his AAR of each stage of the assessment and why he performed the way he did. Trace Armory Group provided instant feedback on what we noticed, and pointers on how make that shot the most accurate shot possible. While encouraging the student and pointing out the strong points the student did correctly.
    Once done with all students on the cold assessment we went in to the training portion of the day.

DSCN1946.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Training:</span>
    Trace Armory Group provided each student with our Precision Rifle Student guide. This manual covers the following subjects.
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Safety considerations [*]Maintenance / cleaning[*]Ballistics[*]Scoped Rifle Marksmanship[*]Using a Data Book[*]The Shooting Sling[*]Day Scope Use [*]Advanced MILRAD/ MOA Reticle [*]Practical Use of the Mil-Dot Master[/list]

DSCN1954.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Instruction on how to build your prone position </span></span>

DSCN1972.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">To learn follow through, the DPMS LR-308 is the right tool for the task!</span></span>

We covered the topics in depth, which pertained to the day’s training event. After talking about and studying the handout we went into practical application of marksmanship techniques we identified during the assessment.
    These subjects where:
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Proper bi-pod prone with rear support[*] Calling the shot[*] Follow through techniques[*] Hasty Sling use in all positions[/list]

DSCN1978.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Instruction on improper prone bi-pod technique and what direction his POA will move to </span></span>

The next step Trace Armory Group took was to develop new skills within the SRT Sniper Section. We started by working on buddy aided support. This is a skill set needed in the Law Enforcement Sniper tool box due to the differences of call out locations from on to the other. You never know when you and your spotter will be called upon to take a shot, when your partner is your rest, it makes this task better if you cannot use prone.

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2022.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Some of my feedback to the teams:</span>
    The County SRT Sniper section is a great group of Deputies, what I enjoyed was the openness they took on the tasks I placed before them. I never heard a single negative comment from anyone. All Deputies acted in a professional manner and supported their partner in all tasks. They offered solid feedback on what they did right and wrong in a timely manner as an individual and as a group. When I asked to rate to me on my abilities to relay the information to them and told me ways I can improve, and what I needed to maintain. This level of professionalism speaks highly to me of the men of this department.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion</span>
    If you are in an agency / department or a person that wants this kind of developmental training please contact Trace Armory Group. We know how hard it is to find quality training at a rate that does not break the bank or does not meet the needs of the people attending the training. We pride ourselves on providing training that meets real world needs, for the task at hand.

John Boyette

Re: NC Sniper training AAR

Sounds pretty good. I have several buddies in Law Enfrocement that would enjoy this type of training. What group size can you accomodate at one time?

Whats the amount of time that is needed for the training? 1 whole day, 2 days, etc...

How many rounds would one expect to shoot throughout the training?

Thanks in advance.

Re: NC Sniper training AAR

I found my answers. I couldnt click on the logo on top of your first post but the one at the bottom of your post allowed/directed me to your site.

I will be contacting you once I get the group together.

Thanks.