• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NCPPRC one day intro at Sac Valley, Ione 9-5-09

Weaselthis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2009
Roseville,Californicatia
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share some memories made yesterday w/ you guys who have helped me so much over the last 4-5 months in my search for info/knowledge about what you do and how I can apply it to my hunting/shooting endeavors.

Attended this intro course to get some long range instructions, check my dope chart,and find my TRUE max distance to killin thangs! I just hunt, but knew these guys could provide some great intel to help out. And did they ever!

Another plug for a great bunch of guys:
NCPPRC is hosting the Rifles Only class:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323445&#Post1323445

I've never met a bunch of helpful, good people, w/ a professional and courteous demeanor, who were willing to spend their day w/ us newgies that didn't know which end of the rifle to put chalk on before the shot, let alone know how to call the right pocket! Thanks to Jacob for puttin up w/ me in the butts. Thanks to Francis for loaning me your 6x9 bipod. (You know how hard it is for someone 59yo to get into a good prone position w/ a 13x24 bipod when the last time it was done was 9 yrs. ago?) LOL. Thanks to Dave Kerley for the rear stock supports and to him and "Doc" (Jacob?) for the patient intstruction on the firing line...and for carrying that fuckin pack to the truck for me! Kudus to Vu & Shawn and ALL the great guys at NCPPRC who I met and whose names escape me! Class act. Thank you sir, may I have another?!

Perhaps SOME of you will recall YOUR early days w/ a knowing smile and fond memory about the following reflections I have re: yesterday's shoot...
1. Pack one half what you THINK you need and leave half of that amount at home. That fuckin pack gets heavy when it's 95 degrees.
2.Should have kept better records AS I WAS SHOOTING so it's easier to recreate the chart after you get home and are tired and 3 JD & Cokes into finishing up the day's write up.
3.Targets at 200-600 yds. have WAY more holes in them than the ones at 800-900-1000yd. Price of poker goes way up once you cross no man's land. NOt so cocky now, are ya old son?
4. "Fuck, where did THAT hole come from?" Heard on the line working the targets from an unidentified newbie... (sometimes, even hits on the berm are hard to see when you're 59 and sweating!).
5. "Fuck, where did THAT shot go?". Heard on the firing line from the same unidentified newbie... (NOTE to self: EVERYTIME, when you dial in RIGHT windage in a 10-12mph full value wind coming from 9 O'clock you WILL NOT hit your target. Did you know that at 800 yds. SOME bullets will deflect 38 inches in this wind, and when 4.6 MOA of WRONG windage is added you MIGHT shoot one or two targets over from your own? (When you're 59 and sweating and flustered, you MIGHT twist small dials the wrong way!). John Wayne said "Life is hard and harder when you're stupid." Trying valiantly not to live up to that!
Side note: In the hand out that NCPPRC gave out under the topic "Optics",(and not read until later in the day....again at home 4 JD & cokes later), and I quote: "Sooner or later you will adjust the wrong direction and your POI will be even farther away than the previous shot. Even experienced shooters will do this. You can tell by the profanity they yell as soon as their targets come back up." ROTFLMFFAO! Pay attention! Seems my line coach said that to me more than once during the day. Dave, I'm paying attention now, bro.!
6. "Fuck, where did THAT shot come from, I didn't even shoot?" Heard on the firing line from each of TWO shooters to the RIGHT of an unidentified shooter who was quoted in #5 above. This phenomenon and cause was discussed later (6 beers!) via phone regarding the days events between the parties involved and a peaceful settlement was mutually reached. (Good thing these two people were friends of his!).
7. "How the fuck did that happen?" Heard on the firing line from an unidentified newbie... (PERHAPS EVERYTIME (even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a million times or so), when you dial in the elevation for 950yds and shoot at a 900yd. target in a 10-12mph full value wind coming from 9 O'clock you WILL NOT hit your target. Did you know that at 950 yds. SOME bullets will impact the target 27 inches higher than desired when 24.6 MOA of elevation is dialed in when 22.5 MOA SHOULD have been dialed in?) (When you're 59 and sweating and flustered, you MIGHT twist small dials the wrong way!).
8. At the end of the day, after the good bbq, give aways, and memories of the past 9hrs. and the comraderie shared w/ newbies and experience alike, it's damned difficult to wipe the shit eating grin off your face! What a great time!

I still can't do this picture post shit....never claimed to be even slightly intelligent when it comes to computers, so here's the link to some pics. I forgot my fuckin camera (they prolly woulda frowned on my holding everyone up for pix anyway) for the day, but took these after I got home to help w/ info and to cement the memories in a tired brain soaked in Jack D.

Hope this works:
http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222/Weaselthis/NCPPRC%20Shoot/

Re: NCPPRC one day intro at Sac Valley, Ione 9-5-09

All,

First off I would like to say thank you to all that participated in our LR clinic this weekend. I know a lot of our participants traveled quite a ways and gave up a long weekend with family and friends to spend a day on the range with NCPPRC. Everyone did an excellent job and the smile on a lot of faces after hitting paper at 1K is priceless.

TAC READY, Storm Tactical, CSGunworks and Phantom Finishing were kind enough to sponsor a small raffle to finish off the day. You can find more information on their products at the links below.

http://www.tacready.com
http://www.stormtactical.com
http://www.phantomfinishing.com
http://www.csgunworks.com

A big thanks goes to our NCPPRC Range Crew which did an outstanding job handling the 51 shooters we had attend the clinic. Our 1K range can handle 50 shooters via two relays so we ended up doubling up on a target vs. sending a participant home.

David, Marc, Greg and Sam did an excellent job on the classroom portion of things. We were able to cover a lot of info in a short amount of time. These gentlemen are not only great shooters but they can relay their knowledge just as well.

David and Greg covered prone shooting.
Marc covered optics and how to run them.
Sam covered data collection and how to read the drop charts provided.

On the firing line we had 14 line coaches which allowed every two students to have a spotter/coach. Big Rod was the line RO keeping everything safe while Jacob and his crew kept the pit running smoothly.

Conditions were not exactly optimal for taking 51 fairly new shooters out to distance. The wind was blowing the entire time but we managed to get 90% to 95% of the participants on paper out to 1000yards. I believe optics and ammo type kept the other 5% to 10% from reaching 1K.

Both the female shooters we had on the line hit all the way out to 1K. One was shooting a custom 6.5x284 and the other a youth model 20” barrel 7-08 with a Leupold Hunting optic. Way to go ladies!

After all the shooting was done we met back at the pole barn for some burgers and some more hydration. It was good to not have to take any of the BBQ stuff home this time as our participants and range crew took care of the 125 burgers Shawn and I cooked up.

Over all the clinic was a huge success and we were able to get a few more souls addicted to LR shooting. Thank you once again to all that made this event possible.

Vu Pham

A few pics taken this past weekend...

Full house!
CIMG1379.jpg

Classroom portion
CIMG1364.jpg

CIMG1364.jpg

CIMG1366.jpg

CIMG1368.jpg

On the line..

CIMG1370.jpg

The wind owned several shooters...

CIMG1371.jpg

Our line coaches..

CIMG1373.jpg

CIMG1374.jpg

CIMG1375.jpg

CIMG1377.jpg

Moving up to the 800yard line.....

CIMG1378.jpg

1K Line...

CIMG1380.jpg

CIMG1381.jpg

Our female shooters..

CIMG1384.jpg

CIMG1389.jpg

FSC President Jim Bass behind the rifle....

CIMG1388.jpg

CIMG1386.jpg

now we are really at the country club..... LOL

CIMG1385.jpg

That's one helluva AAR Weasethis! Thanks for the good words we are glad you had a good time and improved your skills.

Marc

Thanks,Marc. Don't know what a AAR is, but you're welcome! lol was a gooood time! btw,in Vu's post, re:the pix of the two female shooters, the first one in white is Tina, Justin's wife and both good friends of ours. She shot past 200 yds. at this clinic for the first time in her life and put hole(s)? in paper at 1k. w/ an off the shelf sps in 7-08, Leupy hunting scope (6x24, I think) and 140 Accubonds at 2880fps that will put 5 inside an inch at 100yds....no great shakes for the custom rifle guys, but she WON this rifle at an SCI dinner we attended and can shoot it! Killed her first pig this year also. Her hubby, Justin shot the clinic as well and hadda aim at the berm behind the targets to get on paper as he ran out of elevation on HIS hunting leupy. Still put 4 out of 7 on the target at 1k w/ an off the shelf Win Mod. 70 7mm RM. Only problem is we haven't got a load worked up for his rifle yet, so the poor fucker went out an bought 4 boxes of Fed. Premium 160 Noslers at $50 a pop. LOL. Tina said, "I had WAY more fun than I thought I would have." Think that about sums it up! Hope to see you guys again soon!

Great gathering and a great bunch of dedicated guys.

Looking forward for the November shoots.