• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing ND-50 sub-Zero

usmcsniperone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
upstate ny..boonies
Got to try out my Sub-Zero in cold weather several times in the last few weeks. Got one red fox and one coyote. The Green laser light is a improvement over the old red lights, but even the sub-zero does NOT like any temps below 32 degrees F.

I tried the hand warmer trick and also tried something I don't think anyone else has tried yet. I put a heavy wool electric sock on it. That sock had way more heat than the hand warmers, but it made zero difference.

The problem is not that the light doesn't come on, the problem is that it comes on very slowly, so slow that the coyotes haul ass before the light comes up to full power and you can get your shot off.

Now I have been hunting in single digit temps the last two weekends, but you would think that for the price of the light and it being called "Sub-Zero" it would work.

I guess I will keep saving for that Night vision scope.

Re: ND-50 sub-Zero

Sounds like they should have named it "Sub-chilly weather." I know that the first generation had horrible problems with cold weather but hadn't heard either way on the sub-zeros. Not good.

Charlie

It works great when its warmer, but up north here the weather is pretty chilly this time of year. I believe my next purchase is going to be a ITT 740 NV scope.....unless there is something else better???????

http://www.lightforce.net.au/products/portable-systems

scope mounted system rocks !
cool.gif

I have used the red lights on my rifles for years. Up here they work fine for fox, but for the eastern coyote not so well.
You cannot scan with your light on up here and expect to get a coyote within gun range. I use NVG's to scan and turn on the light when the varmint in question is within range.
These eastern yotes come to a screaching halt when the light comes on and turns tail and hauls the mail! The Green light from the ND-50 sub-zero was a improvement as the coyotes actually hesitated long enough for a shot. It doesn't seem to spook them as much as the red ones.I had one a few weeks ago that never even stopped until the bullet hit him.

I would love to see all these predator hunters you see on TV that hunt those western and south western yotes during the day come up here in upstate NY and make a show. I have almost 9000 acres that I have permission to trap and hunt coyotes on, so we would have plenty of places to go.