• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns ND vs AD vs Something else?

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I have a question about an incident that happened recently to me. I was at the range and had a round "nose up." I dropped the magazine, pulled the slide back and let it drop forward. I pulled the slide back again... no round was extracted, so I figured the round came out with the mag. I pointed the gun at the berm and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer and it fired. Is that considered a "negligent discharge," and "accidental discharge," or "none of the above?"

This has happened to me twice, but in both cases I had the gun pointed downrange. I was calling it an "ND" with a friend and he told me that this was not an "ND" because by deliberately aiming downrange, I was following safe procedures. Obviously, pulling the trigger is not a wise way to figure out if the chamber is empty.

While your friend is correct that discharging in a safe direction is not negligent, checking the condition of your weapon by pulling the trigger wouldn't be the way I would check it.

It was also NOT an accidental discharge. 1. You pulled the trigger, 2. an AD is a mechanical failure, whether of the weapon or the retention device.

to make sure the weapon is unloaded, cycle the action, rack the side, whatever you want to call it, three times, then visually check.

the first one is free, the next one may cost you something...

My entire time in the Corps, all the range coaches and PMIs went on and on about 'visually check the chamber with your friggin' eyeballs, and stick your grubby little finger in there and physically confirm there is no round in the chamber.'

So... visually check the chamber with your friggin' eyeballs, and stick your grubby little finger in there and physically confirm there is no round in the chamber.

To quote Tony Beets from gold Rush, "All lessons cost something, good ones cost less." Consider yourself lucky. ND

Last edited:
How about this scenario; is it an AD, ND or what:

You are shooting at targets quickly,under time pressure, and squeeze off an unintentional double tap? Gun is aimed at something you intend to, and have been shooting at, but you squeezed an extra round your brain didn't specifically intend to....?

If you pulled the trigger expecting a click and got a bang - ND

If unintentionally pulled the trigger and got a bang - ND

Short of acts of God, it's very difficult to call an inadvertent shot an AD.