• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Near dog attack on my daughter

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
Ever since we moved in, we've had some issues with the trashy neighbors letting their dalmations run. Soon after we moved in 2 years ago someone called animal control on them (they blamed us ever since, but we didn't do it) and they've more or less kept them tied up but every once in awhile they still run.

Today after work I was working behind the house in my garden while my 2-yr-old daughter played about 30-40 yds away on her playhouse. After awhile I saw her leave it to walk around front of the house to play on the front porch, so I left to follow her and keep her in sight. My dog shot around me and off to the right, so I followed where he was going to see what had caught his attention. There were two of the neighbor's dalmations, running straight for my daughter. My heart sank; I'm a damn fast runner but I knew I could never get to her before them. Fortunately, my spaniel was faster. He cut them off 10 feet before they reached her, and they immediately jumped them and attacked him. He outweighed either one by 20 lbs, but 2-1 is never an easy fight.

My daughter ran to relative safety, so I jumped in and kicked and beat on the dogs to no effect. I even grabbed one by the throat and threw it as far as I could, but it jumped right back in.

This was where I screwed up -- while my daughter was now a safe distance away I really should have grabbed her and taken her in the house before doing anything else. But I felt unable to make any headway and ducked inside the door and grabbed my unloaded Glock 23 off the kitchen counter and slammed the clip home. While every bone in me wanted to cap those dogs, I fired 3 shots into the dirt in front of them and they ran off.

The trash neighbor and I had a little heart to heart after that. I was a LOT nicer than I wanted to be and than my wife thought I should be. I made it clear to them that while I hadn't expected this based on prior experience with their dogs, I would have ZERO leniency with these dogs in the future if I felt my kid was in danger.

The only thing that stopped me was the thought that my dog would be eating a rat poison steak tomorrow if I shot their dogs today. I don't know what was the right decision.

Re: Near dog attack on my daughter

Survey says....

Kill em.

Next time, absolutely double-tap to the dalmation with no hesitation. This time, I was really worried that hero dog would be eating an antifreeze steak tomorrow. The immediate threat to my daughter was passed by the time I was armed (damn work, can't carry on weekdays).

If it's a positive, the shots went right where I wanted them, 3 divits in a 6-inch circle
wink.gif

You and yours are safe in your home this evening and it sounds like you haven't done anything to cause further problems with the neighbors. You've explained your position to them and they've been warned and can expect a different outcome if they allow it to happen again.

Sounds to me like you did just fine.

The local authorities should have this information. It is always helpful to have this type of behavior documented. It didn't happen if it's not written down.

Had a dalmation as a kid.

Damn thing could snap chains at will. I once saw it clear a 6 foot fence. When he wanted to go he was gone.

When he did hard time in the pound he shook all the other dogs down for protection money.

Take shaggyback's advice. Arrange an accident when your family is out of town on vacation....

Forgot to mention that I hope your spaniel is eating steak tonight
wink.gif

Never have cared for dalmations much. They are always shady. We have a guy across the street from us, we live on a farm, he has a few dogs one being a dalmation. One of his dogs always runs around and is friendly. The dalmation on the other hand, not so friendly. He kept getting loose one week and coming over to my house and chasing my fiance as she did her evening run. I was on the porch one day enjoying a cigar and sure enough here comes the dalmation on a dead run towards her. She had her headphones and and didnt hear me yelling at her. So I called my dog out, he is a 96 pound pitbull. Normally he is kind and gently hearted with anyone that will play with him. But when he saw the other dog running towards his momma he took off. It looked like a blur as he went after this dog.

At this point in time I dont think he will catch this charging dog. He hit it full speed with a dogs version of a shoulder block. The dalmation went rolling into the grass and he was on its throat but not biting down. By the time I got to them he released it and I scared it off. I let the neighbor know the next time that particular dog chased my fiance it wasnt getting up again.

Keep an eye on them!

Kill them then drag them into the road and pretend they were run over owners will never know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to mention that I hope your spaniel is eating steak tonight
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'll get him steak thawed for tomorrow...
wink.gif

This was near Indy BTW.

If it were me.... The neighbors would have been under the impression that their beloved pets had ran away....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and yours are safe in your home this evening and it sounds like you haven't done anything to cause further problems with the neighbors. You've explained your position to them and they've been warned and can expect a different outcome if they allow it to happen again.

</div></div>

+1, except I would document it with local authorities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and yours are safe in your home this evening and it sounds like you haven't done anything to cause further problems with the neighbors. You've explained your position to them and they've been warned and can expect a different outcome if they allow it to happen again.

</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local authorities should have this information. It is always helpful to have this type of behavior documented. It didn't happen if it's not written down.</div></div>

+1 on these.

Your response was measured and appropriate...you have informed the trash of your intentions...now log the incident with LE so that if the dogs come again and you take action, or if the trash escalate, you're covered.

Sounds like your Spaniel is a great dog!

And you're shootings not too bad!

Yep, it’s a shame their dogs ran off and were found painted on the interstate.

How is your dog?

BTW, my vote is that you made the right decision. Especially considering you were in a high stress situation.

James

Hamburger with busted up light bulbs in it. Not a preaty way 2 go, but effective. The sad part of it is, this method was recomended 2 me by my VET.

Your daughter may have been out of harms way, not in the house yet so not out of harm. But your dog was still under attack, so your family was not in safe mode yet. I think you were justified to shoot to stop the attack. Reminds me of a story of my daughter when she was 5. Walked by two boarder collies and one grabbed her on the hamstring. My lab having witnessed this took off the porch and had some collie ass in a short time. Had both of them yelping for dear life. Owner wanted to know WTF my dog was doing, I told him they got what they deserved and keep them in the Fucking truck when there at the barn.

I got chewed on by a dalmatian when I was 8. From then on I tormented that bastard every chance I got. I used to take a Benjamin pump up pellet rifle and give it just one pump and shoot the dog whenever it came out into view. If it was in their back yard it was safe, mostly. One or twice I shot it in it's backyard between the slats in the fence just to let it know we were not finished.
The owner got divorced and moved away when I was 10 and he took the dog. The dog was a quivering sack of shit by then. One funny thing was that the day I got bit, my dog was at the vets for heartworm treatments. Otherwise that dalmatian would have been a meal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to mention that I hope your spaniel is eating steak tonight
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'll get him steak thawed for tomorrow...
wink.gif

This was near Indy BTW. </div></div>

Good on you.Great dog i hope he didnt get to beat up..A dog that is protective(no matter what breed)of their family.Is a dog to be admired.

Fencing is a good idea at this point, obtaining a copy of the city or county ordinance assuming hopefully there is one and a request for enforcement. While the dogs may jump a fence, it may help and definitely gives a keep out of my yard critters message. A motion detector which sounds an alarm inside is a good idea too so it alerts you if the line is crossed.

Good luck.

Robert

If you have to pull the trigger on a dog, you might as well put it down. After that no trouble from that dog. In this case let the owners explain to a judge what their dogs are doing on your property and trying to attack your daughter.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people's IQ drops to about 25 when it comes to their mutts and what they "think" their mutts should be able to do.

Sure hope you filed a report with animal control and the PO-PO.
Was just involved with shooting a neighbors dog. With the "history" of my reports, I had no problems with the LEO's and animal control.
Might not have gone that way with out "history" to back my claims that their P/B charged me on/in MY front yard, I put 2, 12ga. rnds. in it when it came back at me before LEO's showed up. Dog was DRT in my front yard.
Respectfully,
LG

Its not the dog, its the owner. Any dog will take what it is given. My dog plays with me, but in the end I drop him on his back and stand over him, he knows who is boss. These people have screwed up dogs and now they have to pay. If I were you and have friends in the country, take em for a nice trip. Get them out of the house, you will be surprised if they never come back.
Chad

ATH,

My hat is off to you in showing some restraint.Your a better person then me,as I would have shot them.
I understand why you didnt,and I am really happy to read your daughter is ok and wasnt hurt.

1)Report the incident to your local P.D. and County Sheriff Dept.
If you have any kind of Animal Control report it with them as well.

2)Take pics of any bites on your dog,and file these along with your reports to the above mentioned agency(s).

3)If the neighbor's dogs attacked your dog on your property
your neighbor can be held responsible for the vet bill(s).

Many Cities/Municapalities have or follow a 3 bite ordinance,or a bite severity ordinance.Where if the animal bit 3 differant people or the medical bill reached a preset dollar amount the City/Municapality can come in,confiscate and destroy the offending animal.
In many places animal-animal bites count the same as animal-human bites,reason being it is the pet owners responsibility to maintain control over their animal at all times.

The documentation needs to be there in order for the City to do anything,tho.

Check either the AKC site or the Humane Society sites for a "bite list".
A number of years back when I was training Rotts there was a bite list that went around our kennel club.
What this list is,is a listing of dog breeds compiled from either the Humane Society or the AKC that showed which breeds were most reported for bites or attacks.

Dalmations were in the top 10.

The other thing I would do is put a lawyer on retainer if you dont already have one.

Expect some type of bullshit retaliation from your neighbors.

308Panther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its the owner.</div></div>

Its a lot harder to shoot those and get away with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwr1076</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kill them then drag them into the road and pretend they were run over owners will never know </div></div>

My neighbors cat might be getting this treatment if it keeps throwing up on the roof of my truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Panther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATH,

My hat is off to you in showing some restraint.Your a better person then me,as I would have shot them.
I understand why you didnt,and I am really happy to read your daughter is ok and wasnt hurt.

1)Report the incident to your local P.D. and County Sheriff Dept.
If you have any kind of Animal Control report it with them as well.

2)Take pics of any bites on your dog,and file these along with your reports to the above mentioned agency(s).

3)If the neighbor's dogs attacked your dog on your property
your neighbor can be held responsible for the vet bill(s).

Many Cities/Municapalities have or follow a 3 bite ordinance,or a bite severity ordinance.Where if the animal bit 3 differant people or the medical bill reached a preset dollar amount the City/Municapality can come in,confiscate and destroy the offending animal.
In many places animal-animal bites count the same as animal-human bites,reason being it is the pet owners responsibility to maintain control over their animal at all times.

The documentation needs to be there in order for the City to do anything,tho.

Check either the AKC site or the Humane Society sites for a "bite list".
A number of years back when I was training Rotts there was a bite list that went around our kennel club.
What this list is,is a listing of dog breeds compiled from either the Humane Society or the AKC that showed which breeds were most reported for bites or attacks.

Dalmations were in the top 10.

The other thing I would do is put a lawyer on retainer if you dont already have one.

Expect some type of bullshit retaliation from your neighbors.

308Panther

</div></div>

I'm in a rural area, most of the city stuff does not apply. Dog bled a little but could not find any wounds to photo. He is fine, one protective SOB.

They are buddies with several local cops, other than getting a report written there would be nothing done to them. While I would prefer to have it documented, at this point knowing other problems with these dogs are documented I'm trying to preserve what small bit of neighborly mutual avoidance (vs some sort of turf war) is possible. My wife is 5 months pregnant, I CANNOT risk putting her through the stress of losing the dog through poisoning etc which is like one of our kids to her. Documentation or not dirt naps will be the solution next time.

This witch has tried to run over a cop in the past (with no consequences) and spun her car through the front yard of the last neighbor to call the cops on her recently (with no consequences).

My daughter's godfather's wife (and my godson's mother) is a prosecuting attorney in a nearby municipality. I let another very successful lawyer use my shooting range on a regular basis, so I've got the legal angle covered in spades.

Fence is not an option. While I have 8ft high fences around 3 sides of the property as a legacy of its inception as an elk farm, I did not move out to the country to fence myself in and will not let trash neighbors make me budget for that when what I really want to spend it on is a custom 243 AI. I'll just shoot their dogs next time, if I use buckshot I got those shells for free ;D

Thanks for all the feedback. I really doubted my judgement at first. Real situations are a LOT different that training or post-analysis. I get a chuckle with the armchair quarterbacking of many tactical/SD situations. The only thing I screwed up was while I felt my daughter had gotten to a safer place I really should have carried her into the house before doing anything with the dogs. I should have been smarter than that.

Another thought if you have the room is to get a couple of donkeys or mules. There is something about free roaming dogs they just won't put up with.

Make that Dumbass get rid of the dogs. Call the cops out file a report demand he get rid of them or you will file a lawsuit. You have been damaged on your own property. Next find out who is insurance is with for his house. The cops will find this outfor you. Call the insurance co and tell them this dumbass has damgerous animals that he is keeping that attacked your dog and your daughter. They'll probably cancel his policy. Make his life miserable until he MOVES.

If the dogs are running free again and you can catch them, take them to a municipal shelter several counties away, or even across a state line if you're close enough to one. Pull off the collars, turn them in as strays (you saw them running on the road, didn't want them to get hit by a car, hopefully the owner will call, blah blah blah). Chances are the a$$hat owners will only call the local shelter to see if the dogs got picked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sleepymonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwr1076</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kill them then drag them into the road and pretend they were run over owners will never know </div></div>

My neighbors cat might be getting this treatment if it keeps throwing up on the roof of my truck. </div></div>

Hahaha, this works great! There always seems to be a cat or two hit near the house every week or so for some reason... It's just the darndest thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in a rural area, most of the city stuff does not apply.</div></div>

Follow the rule of Three S's in rural areas.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Shoot [*]Shovel [*]Shut-up [/list]

Been fixing lots of problems in rural areas for hundreds of years.

Shoot the dog with a bow and a rubber blunt on the arrow. Hit him in the chest and it will kill him with no signs of what happened. Then put the limp body in the highway after dark and someone will run over it. It works, believe me.

Last year my youngest boy was nearly attacked by a pitbull that the shitbag owner badly mistreated to the point that the animal was clearly dangerous. My oldest came running in one evening to say that " Crazy Dog" had my boy cornered. I ran up the road with a shotgun and blew the head clean off the aminal... Prick tried to sue me for 3K for the loss of his " pedigree" pet. he also has a Rottie which I also offered to shoot if he wnated to make it 6K. he hasnt come back funnily enough...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddieo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last year my youngest boy was nearly attacked by a pitbull that the shitbag owner badly mistreated to the point that the animal was clearly dangerous. My oldest came running in one evening to say that " Crazy Dog" had my boy cornered. I ran up the road with a shotgun and blew the head clean off the aminal... Prick tried to sue me for 3K for the loss of his " pedigree" pet. he also has a Rottie which I also offered to shoot if he wnated to make it 6K. he hasnt come back funnily enough... </div></div>

Sounds like you must live by my neighbor. Crackheads with pitbulls tick me off also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thought if you have the room is to get a couple of donkeys or mules. There is something about free roaming dogs they just won't put up with. </div></div>

hehe no shit... coyotes would come through camp. Those mules would flat out run the bastards off.

Well, my little talk only got them to tie the dogs up for a week. They have been running free on a daily basis ever since.

Two evenings ago, my wife let me know that 1 of them (different 1 than went after my kid) were in the backyard by our kid's playset. I consider the backyard (where the first attack happened) to be crossing the line of tolerance. I stepped outside with a .22 Remington "shotgun" (don't remember the model, smoothbore choked) loaded with birdshot.

My dog was out the door first, and was immediately jumped by a second one that had been around the corner and I had not seen. What if I'd been letting my daughter out to play??? As soon as my dog got clear I pumped 3 rounds of birdshot into the offending dog's ass and sent him howling home.

I called animal control this time. I was basically told there is virtually nothing they can do in terms of creating penalties, but I am within my rights to shoot them if I feel threatened -- but I better have a witness or they could sue me.

So I'm legally handcuffed from there being any consequences for them until an attack happens, but when I need to take action due to the law being handcuffed I assume liability. This country is seriously messed up, no wonder criminals have no fear.

They're still over there, we'll see what comes of this. I replaced the batteries in my mini tape recorder just in case they are stupid enough to get mad and come over and threaten me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Survey says....

Kill em. </div></div>

rgr...

Me and my pitbull can come up and take care of those two for you. Mine is highly trained and follows all voice and sign commands!
smile.gif

He said he doesnt mind laying the smackdown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chilo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in a rural area, most of the city stuff does not apply.</div></div>

Follow the rule of Three S's in rural areas.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Shoot [*]Shovel [*]Shut-up [/list]

Been fixing lots of problems in rural areas for hundreds of years. </div></div>
+1000% the guy that lives up the road at one point had a chow. long story short after my rottie knawed up set chow i advised him that it would be wise to keep his dog restrained on his property. a month late set chow chased my wife and mysteriously disapeared later that night.

hard to say what i would have done in that situation and i hope i never find out what id do but we do have two dogs that run around the neighborhood and my 4 y/o being the dog lover she is would likely pet them even after warnings. Im happy to hear you have a great dog and the child is safe!!!

you sir are a better man than i.. there would def be two dead pups on my lawn.. with added inspections of the property and possible camera set up on the fence line to see if any "objects" are tossed in ...lord help someone should i catch em trying to poison my pups... cant stand folks who dont control their pups, then get mad at an outcome where you protected yourself , daughter and dog..
again good work on the restraint.. wish you well with this problem...

I agree with kingrabbit on the cameras - both for surveillance and evidence if he does anything more. How about some game cameras in the backyard?

Agreed. You can also talk to neighbors to learn if they are having the same issues with these dogs. You may be able to build a case with their help. I am sure that they would want the problem resolved as well.

My 86 year old grandmother was taking her toy poodle for a walk about a week ago when her neighbors dog jumped the fence and came after her . She picked her dog up but the neighbors dog jumped up and snatched Taffy out of her hands , knocking her down and biting her several times in the process , then proceeded to shake her dog to death . These people have 3 small children and have had prior problems with this dog attacking other animals . Its going to be put down but unfortunately it just had a litter of pups so they are giving the owners until the pups are weaned before they are putting it down .

If you own an aggressive dog you need to either keep track of it and make sure it can't get to other people or animals or have it destroyed . We have had to put down 2 dogs in my lifetime that just weren't right in the head . Sometimes you get a dog that just can't be corrected and you need to take care of it before it maims or kills someone .