• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Near rails and rings? Are they still "the best"?

pangris

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 25, 2006
    So I'm looking at a nice scope (in my opinion) for my 700 in 308. I'm going from direct mount 30's to a 34mm scope so I'm starting from a bare receiver.

I haven't ruled out the possibility of swapping it around between my 18" 308 and 20" Grendel.

I used the search function to find Near in the first place. I don't see much about them lately.

I'm willing to spend some $ on precision, repeatability, and reliability.

Thoughts as to rail/ring combos these days for a short action 700?

Best riser for the AR so that I could use it on both if I went that way?

Thanks!

Is this for hunting? Or comps?

IMHO Near’s pic rails are the bomb. However, he is old school and calling him is the way. Ships super fast too.

For rings I am an ARC man as I like their one-bolt method (one for scope, one for rail), but if I was looking for an ultralight setup, Near’s one-piece mount looks pretty cool.

Reactions: MO Fugga
    I love mine, will buy another AlphaMount with built in cant. Just call and tell him what you want, he can make it.

Any of the top tier ones are great. Just get the height and features you like. ARC, MDT Elite, Seekins, ZCO mount (what I use), Hawkins, .

If you must get one that will go back and forth from AR to bolt gun (I would not do that), then you'd want a mount, but wouldn't be able to get an offset mount which I prefer for AR but a mount would do what you want and all of those brands are very good ones.

I've talked myself out of back and forth but debating as to whether to put the USO on the Grendel or 308.

I think I'm going to embark on "Operation: Wear out three barrels and scopes" and am going to run a SWFA 20X fixed on my White Oak 223 service upper, and the VX-6 and USO FDN 17X on a 20" Grendel and 18" Krieger 308 with which on which as a TBD.

But, I have a 600 yard range and documenting the round count, repeatability, how the scopes track etc etc etc could be interesting. Scopes from $300 - $3000 and 3 rifles that should all be sub MOA and easy 600 yard guns.

I might have clue one once I've worn out a 223, Grendel and 308.

Will be used for hunting as well as target/journal use... I think my competition days are behind me.