• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Necessary to lap Seekins rings, yes or no?

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
Just wondering peoples thoughts, is it necessary to spend more money on a lapping kit on rings that are supposedly excellent.

Re: Necessary to lap Seekins rings, yes or no?

never have on my 4 sets. Same with badger. I have no ring marks either, when properly torqued down.

I think and have seen this in person, that people tend to over due the whole lapping idea, and end up damaging the rings.

aren't seekins rings made from the same stock and serialized so that you will not have to do this.

I think it is a good idea. Everything has a tolerance ! The receiver, hole location, base-including spacing and size, and the rings themselves. If you are mounting a $2500 scope in $150 rings, I doubt $30 for a ring lapping setup is really worth worrying about. You can do dozens of rings. I have used Nightforce, Smith Ent, Badger,and Seekins. I lap them all if scope doesn't move smoothly in the rings. Often you will take a min. amount off the rings and scope will move without binding. If you ever sell that scope, it will be much easier if you have lighter ring marks.

david

Thanks I was going to buy the wheeler kit just because it seemed like good value, perhaps I might as well.

Now if someone would only make 34&35mm lapping bars for a decent price!

Its always a good idea to do a light pass with a lapping bar, no ring, base or most importantly action is 100% true, so do everything you can to make sure everything fits they way they should.

bed base to receiver
lap rings
torque all screws to spec.

I wouldn't do it. Aluminum rings can be easily damaged by a steel lapping bar.

Ask the man himself - Glen will probably not recommend it.

I would see if the rail needs bedding. Chances are that if there is a tolerance issue, it will be with the receiver.

Really shouldn't have to lap quality rings. Very unlikely that it would be necesarry.

As some have already said.....

If you are going to mess with a manufacturers gear, ask the manufacturer if it is acceptable. Glen is easy to reach via the site or by phone.

Also, most rings and especailly custom rings like these are close-to perfect or perfect. The reason to lap is not because the rings are great or not....it has to do with the fit of the base(s) to the receiver.
Perfect rings on a base that is twisted because of a poor fit between it and the receiver will not be aligned. It dosen't matter how good the rings are.

Bedding the base is an alternative.

To lap rings to compensate for misaligned bases just seems crazy. Why not just go with properly installed bases and quality rings. No lapping necessary.

Seekins rings do not need lapping. Have owned @ 10 pair.
Never had a scopes marred by a set of Seekins rings either.

That depends on the term "properly installed".
I have two Savage actions, both with Badger bases, both had serious twists or bows in them when they were torqued.
I have no doubt that Badger makes a good base.
This problem is not specific to Savages either.

If you are talking "bedding the base" to remove this twist/bow, then that is fine.
I chose to work out most of the mismatch between the two and then do a light lapping to "prove" the rings were aligned.

Tell the people how to "properly install" a base and I am sure they will listen.

I have an older Remington 5 digit action and the rear bridge is different than the newer rifles (lower). After torquing down the front of the Seekins base, there was a small but noticeable gap at the rear. I actually thought it was to much to bed, so I placed some shims in there. I really meant to get a set of feeler guages to measure it but the shims seem to work fine. I will probably get a set of feeler guaues and measure the difference, a question would be how much is to much to bed.

Here is a newer M700 SA where I recently bedded the Seekins rail. I didn't measure but guessed it at between .015 - .020.

BeddedSeekinsrail002.jpg

The answer is: maybe. The rings are .002 oversize. Measure the diameter of the front and the back of your scope tube. If the tube is .004 or more, then lap the rings. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

I had sent an email to Seekins about the base issue and he explained that even in the newer rifles after the a-prefix change that there was still some difference in rear bridge height and he recommended bedding. I contacted Badger Ordinance and they simply stated they didn't make a mount to fit a-prefix and older rifles. Is Devcon the best material for bedding the rear? I guess I have more work to do.

If you decide to lap then look at sinclair international for a lapping bar.

I contacted Brownell's Gunsmith tech. He said lapping aluminum rings was fine, they just won't take nearly as much effort to lap them in.

david

I wouldn't do it.

You wouldn't "lap" an expensive set of connecting rods, so I can't see why you'd lap a set of rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterBear71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To lap rings to compensate for misaligned bases just seems crazy. Why not just go with properly installed bases and quality rings. No lapping necessary. </div></div>

I tend to agree with the above. The other issue is that the Seekins rings use a hard coar anodize on the aluminum that would be removed by lapping.