• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck diameter/pressure/accuracy

OREGUN

Alpine Orangutan
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2014
    Out West
    What’s your opinion on neck clearance and accuracy? I have a 6BRA with a .269 neck. I can’t quite slip a 105 hybrid into the mouth of a fired case (no way in hell I’m neck turning so just exclude that option from your mind). It occasionally throws a little heavy bolt lift and extractor mark despite running a relatively mild load. I’m leaning toward believing that the pressure signs are from insufficient neck clearance. BUT, the rifle shoots REALLY well. I haven’t ask the smith yet about his opinion but I’m sure he could do the next barrel with a .272 neck. Thought I’d ask the esteemed membership here first. Stay with the tight neck/occasional heavy bolt lift/.10” groups or go with a bigger neck?

definitely pressure signs from the tight neck. Had they same issue with my 22GT and had to turn necks. It might be worth reaching out to your smith and seeing if he can cut the neck to .272 unless this barrel is about shot out

Ya like @spife7980 said.

I don't know the volume of shooting you are doing. If skim turning a tiney clean up cut would slick up brass and provide a safety margin I would do it for that kind of accuracy.

Are you using a mandrell?

You’ve only got two options:
    1-Turn necks
    2-Open the chamber neck

You are not fine. You’re going to shoot your liberal eye out. Fix your dangerous condition. What does it matter what anyone on the internet says? We’re not going on your “relearning how to live without sight journey” with you. Those necks are only getting thicker, so if option 1 is off the table, you better be calling a gunsmith.

Reactions: phlegethon
    How long would ot take to use some wet/dry 400 grit or finer paper?
    I figure both hands float.

Please rate stupidity on a scale of 1-10.

20210729_110910.jpg

Meh. Thanks for the thoughts. I talked to the smith at length this morning. The new barrel gets a .272 neck, for sure. Maybe I’ll teach the kids to run the neck turner. Probably not.

I resize with a bushing and then mandrel up to the size I want. The chamber has a .270” neck and the loaded round is measuring at .2685”. I also recently switched sizing lube and it’s entirely possible that I left more of it on the cases than I had been. Could be bolt thrust. I’ll tumble this next batch after sizing to make sure it’s not a case lube problem.

Last edited:
    no way in hell I’m neck turning so just exclude that option from your mind

Sounds like a match from eHarmony..... Or Catfish.

• Haha
    Reactions: Snuby642
    Get a .275 neck.

.006 neck clearance is where many high level F class guys are sitting.

The only possible (yet unlikely) negative result is split necks sooner. But I and many others have run over .010 clearance and primer pockets still fail before the necks.

Virgil King of the “Houston Warehouse” used .007-.0075 clearance.

Any rifle from those guys that had a number besides zero for the first place after the decimal was junk.

Reactions: OREGUN
    definitely pressure signs from the tight neck. Had they same issue with my 22GT and had to turn necks. It might be worth reaching out to your smith and seeing if he can cut the neck to .272 unless this barrel is about shot out
    Wouldn't mandrel'ing the neck solve this issue with pressure on light loads? That's what I've discovered ...

Wouldn't mandrel'ing the neck solve this issue with pressure on light loads? That's what I've discovered ...
    Not a mandreling problem. Essentially the OD of the case with a seated bullet is too close to the ID of the chamber.

Reactions: Snuby642
    Not a mandreling problem. Essentially the OD of the case with a seated bullet is too close to the ID of the chamber.
    Trying to understand this, in the context of a scenario where I had pressure signs on what should have been a very reasonable charge weight. I used a larger mandrel to open the neck, and the pressure signs were gone and the accuracy was really good. It sounds like what you're saying is that the "brass in the neck is too thick" and doesn't fit properly in the chamber ... meaning this isn't a neck tension problem, it's a neck brass thickness problem that can only be solved by reducing the thickness of the neck wall. Am I describing this correctly? Honestly ... just trying to learn!