• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck fatigue while prone

3fingervic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Clinton Twp., MI U.S.A.
I hunt large crop fields. I like to lay prone in hedge rows or weeds on the edges of said fields. A hunting session can last all day or only a few hours depending on the season and the field. My problem is neck fatigue. I'm no sniper, that's for sure, but how do they keep an eye on the horizon, so to speak.

Re: Neck fatigue while prone

You may have a issue with cheek weld and or scope height. Try getting behind your rifle with your eyes closed, you should be able to get in position and open your eys and have a clear sight picture.

I notice this when I get behind another shooters rifle that is set up differently, if you are straining to keep a clear sight picture it may be time to set things up differently.

Kirk R

It's not too bad when I'm looking through my scope. In my situation, I can't look through my scope the whole time. The deer can come from any direction and at any distance. Just last weekend I had a deer sneak up on my left at about 25 yards. So, I have to keep my head on a swivel and be ready to shoot. By the way, I'm using a slug gun with a bipod.

REST your head on your rifle stock. Set your gun sight up in such a way that you will not have to "hold" your head/nech in position. You should be able to see a large field of view towards the "horizon" just resting your head there with both eyes open. If game comes as close as 25 yards you will hear it, you don't have to see it first. YMMV

Equipment really needs to fit is you plan to spend that long in the prone. additionally, some bridging exercises should help strengthen your neck. dont forget to stretch.

My guess is that you are using a bipod that is too short for your body type and it forces you to crane your neck down to get on the glass.

If you are using the short 6" harris bipod, this is DEFINITELY the problem.

--Fargo007

I had a similar problem when I first set up my rifle. After raising the cheek rest 1/4 of a inch it made a huge difference. I prefer a solid cheek weld on the cheek bone.

either the gun doesn't fit you or you're not in a good natural point of aim...or both. Both are simple to fix though it may take some time to get just right.

it's best if you find someone that really knows how to mount a gun to sit with you and help you get fit. They can also help you with getting behind the gun.

resting your cheek on the stock will help quite a bit. Get some foam mouse pads and some duct tape. Apply one layer at a time. You may find that one works, maybe 2 or 3...who cares what it looks like, just get a good weld.
just my .02

I'll lay down, try to lock into the rifle and sometimes just have to put it down and roll over on my back a minute to relax. I'll get positioned then pull the rifle to me again and see if I'm pointing right. It may take a few times before I'm right on target with out having to move the gun.

Many people simply lie down pull the gun up and start hunting for a target...wrong approach. When you mount the gun, you're cross hairs should be on target.

I actually bring a small round pad to rest my torso on, & try to get into a position that allows me to lay down on an uphill slope. For me, just laying there with my neck bent up looking for long gets to hurting.

You could try the sitting position with a longer bipod or the PRS tripod if the vegetation allows it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could try the sitting position with a longer bipod or the PRS tripod if the vegetation allows it. </div></div>

Agreed, or get a small blind to support a sitting position if the natural vegetation permits it.

He is talking about being prone all day and getting a sore neck from having to have his head cocked back, not necessarily a result of shooting.

I struggle with the same thing, I try to watch tv or read in the same postion that I will be spending time in while hunting. It gets my neck stretched out and my wife gets a good laugh out of it.

Reactions: Pingo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is talking about being prone all day and getting a sore neck from having to have his head cocked back, not necessarily a result of shooting.

I struggle with the same thing, I try to watch tv or read in the same postion that I will be spending time in while hunting. It gets my neck stretched out and my wife gets a good laugh out of it.
</div></div>

Exactly, That's why I offered the suggestion to try sitting. Your head is more erect and it may alleviate the problem.

Change your position every so often. Weekly exercise helps too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Change your position every so often. Weekly exercise helps too. </div></div>
Pirate, what particular exercises did you have in mind?

Tnx!

I am having similar problems getting setup to shoot prone. I had a cervical fusion of C5-7 about 4 years ago and I lost a lot of flexibility in my neck. Some of it is getting the right height on my bi-pod and getting the eye relief on the scope right. I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite tactical and the eye relief is pretty short. Also, I seems like the pull on the B&C stock is pretty long and I'm having trouble getting the scope far enough back.

The scope is nearly touching the front of the Weaver 20 MOA rail and I am thinking of cutting about 1" (2 sections off) so I can pull the scope back another inch. The 9-13 bi-pod is not short enough of the bench, but 9" is too short for me to shoot prone. Any ideas?

You want to know how snipers do it? Get a spotter! 4 eyes and 2 necks get less tired on a long day peeping through glass. I would say, based on you're situation, if you have to cover a large field and don't know the general direction that the critter come from, then you need to come up with a better way of spotting them. Prone is pretty hard to move/adjust you're shooting direction with little movement/noise. I think getting up off the ground some, such as sitting will help you out a lot. It will give you a much better field of view and probably tire you less. Especially if you're sitting in a chair or something like that. Maybe even tree stand hunting, which will get you up in the air and provide lots of visibility. You can always invest in shooting sticks or something of that nature to help steady you're shot. Heck, I've simply walked through the woods and found a stick that I could use for a rest, which is very cost effective. I'm just saying try changing your tactics to suit your needs.

Two thoughts.

If your position is painful, it's the wrong position. I've had so much trouble with this issue that I no longer shoot prone.

I tried a number of 'bandaids'; and the use of a chest pad to elevate the body, combined with a shorter bipod, to get the rifle/head lower seemed to be the most useful.

Until I gave up, I also had an exercise regimen that I did each night and morning in bed. Lying on my back, I would elevate my body so it was supported on the mattress by just my head and heels. I would hold that position, being careful to maintain my normal breathing, until my muscles would begin to shake, and then slowly lower my body and slowly, completely relax my muscles. At least five repetitions on retiring and waking each night and morning made a large difference in my pain levels while shooting prone.

When I gave up it was mainly due to a recognition that with my age and health, forcing my body to do something that was becoming increasingly unnatural wasn't really serving any absolutely necessary purpose anymore. When I was diagnosed with arthritic spurs on my neck vertebrae, I figured that particular part of my life wasn't going to improve and wasn't all that necessary either, anymore.

I don't see my decision as any kind of reason for others to quit.

Greg

In my case, its not a strength issue, it's a flexibility issue. I lost 20% of my neck flexibility after the cervical fusion. Also, I can shoot prone just fine with my AR15 with the gun propped up on my elbows. So, I think its a matter of getting theright bipod height andthe eye relief on the scope right. The B&C stock hassle long pull and the Bushnell scope has a pretty short eye relief. I apparently have more adjusting to do.

I had the same issue.

Running an older ST-10 on a 700 with an M40A1 stock - the comb was just not high enough.
Eagle stock pack didn't fix it.

However having shot an A5 stock previously, I could get behind my scope with no fatique.

Check your equipment.

Strength issue or not, shooting is an athletic activity.

Good muscle strength and tone, along with better cardiopulmonary capacity, can help with any such activity. It's just a matter of building a good foundation upon which to practice the activity.

Pain from nerve pressure should be discernable from muscle fatigue pain.

All of this said, muscle fatigue is usually the predominant symptom of a less than optimal Natural Point of Aim.

It stems from the need to apply strength and stamina to accomodate the stresses that a less than optimal bodily support process imposes on the musculature and skeletal arrangement. Pain tolerance, though admirable, is not a constructive component in resolving this problem. If holding a sight alignment is a physical task, it would pay to find some way of converting muscular support into bone support.

My own situation is complicated by shoulder joint damage and scar tissue that precludes any possibility of getting my elbow beneath the rifle forearm.

The shoulder joint will only rotate about half of the way that's needed to get into that configuration. I've been through orthopedic rehab twice, and driven myself and probably a few onlookers halfway round the bend trying to force things beyond their present limits.

My previously good sling techniques are currently and probably forever beyond my reach.

Bipods and rests work, but there is the arthritic neck situation to deal with, and it's just so persistent and troublesome that I've simply thrown in the towel after several years of trying.

But those relatively futile efforts have lent a degree of insight to my compassion regarding the same condition in others. When the horse is well and truly dead, no amount of persuasion is going to alleviate the underlying problem.

Greg

Aside from everything else already mentioned about the fit of your firearm, I have some suggestions.

All right, first I'm gonna get this out of the way. Next weekend I officially recieve my certification as a 200 hour Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT). I have been practicing for about 6 years, and have been teaching for about 2 years. I also lead a stretching group at work focusing on known problem areas for the guys in our shop. We mostly focus on neck, shoulders, back, and wrists, I work on the shop floor myself, I know where the aches and pains are from experience. In the classes I teach I work with people from collage age to grandparents, sedintary lifestyles to marathon runners.

If you have any injuries, like the guy above with the fused vertibre, you need to discuss this with your physician. Use your head, if it hurts, STOP. Find a comfortable "edge" to the sensation and back off. Work at about 70-80%.

A simple guidline to keep in mind is to lengthen before bending or rotating.

Some at home excersices to help with flexability, and range of motion...

Sit with your back erect, naval slightly drawn in toward the spine, this supports the lower back(lumbar region). Lift the crown of the head,keep the neck long. (Yeah, kinda like E.T. the Extra Terestrial).

Inhale- look upwards, keeping the back of the neck long. Visualize the rotation point as a point just below the ear lobes. (Touch your fingers to this point on each side with the elbows out and feel the movement if it helps)

Exhale- look down, maintain the length in the neck.
Repeat 3-5 times

Turn the head and look over the right shoulder, repeat the above motions while keeping the head turned. Don't forget to breathe. Inhale- look up, Exhale- look down. Repeat 3-5x

On the last exhale down rotate your chin across your chest and over the left shoulder, Inhale- look up, Exhale down repeat 3-5 times.

Simple movements like this help too warm the muscles and to get the synovial fluid moving through the joints.

Next reach your right hand behind your back to the left side of the body (if possible), forearm parralell with the floor, grasp your right hand with your left, interlace your fingers, draw your left elbow back. Now that you have bound the hand press your shoulders down away from your ears and tilt the head to the left side. Hold for 3-5 breaths. Allow your exhales to be slightly longer than your inhales. Count to yourself if you need too. "Inhale,2,3,4, - Exhale,2,3,4,5"

Repeat on the other side.

Look at the following link, follow it except do not press all the way up with your hands at first. Instead extend the sternum forward then activate the low back and lift the head and chest up, the elbows bent and at your sides, float your hands off of the floor, while maintaining the lift in the chest and head. Hold for 3-5 breath like you did above. Would like to add, Only look as far forward as the nose is off the floor. Our intent is to lengthen/strengthen the low back here, not crank the neck.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/471

By increasing the range of motion in the rest of the spine it will take some of the compression out of the neck.

Do these daily, flexibility does not come over night.

I had to do a "thesis" for my certification, My classmates did, "Yoga for Runners, or for stress, or whatever." Or about there "Chakras". I did "Yoga for Bullseye" and surprised myself at the similarities. If I don't catch to much shit maybe i'll post it.

Halfnutz, this makes sense. Great suggestions. Regarding the proposed Bhujangasana or Cobra posture - I would recommend <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> pressing with your hands <span style="text-decoration: underline">at all</span> (not just in the beginning), just let the palms stay relaxed on the ground.

Mouse- Once the low back begins to open up the straightening of the arms continues to traction the low back, bringing the posture toward the next level. The modification I gave is often called low cobra, it is a prepatory pose to help build toward the other. The intention of the excersize is to strengthen and increase the length of the curve in the spine. Once lift is created, the hands can be placed back on the floor beneath the shoulders and instead of pressing down pull them back without actually moving the hand position thereby propelling the sternum forward.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once the low back begins to open up the straightening of the arms continues to traction the low back, bringing the posture toward the next level. The modification I gave is often called low cobra, it is a prepatory pose to help build toward the other.</div></div>
Actually I was taught that the "high" variation is Sarpangasana, not Bhujangasana (which is what some call "low Cobra").
wink.gif

There are reasons to not involve arms in <span style="text-decoration: line-through">pushing</span> pulling (with back muscles) the body up in Bhujangasana - hands are used in more advanced variations, and not to press against the floor.

It took me a while to get everything adjusted properly on my gun, but I think I have it setup so I can shoot prone prone with it now. I ended up moving the scope back about 3/4" to get it where I could see through the scope properly. I also found a 9" bipod was too short - I need 11-13" high bipod.

I like the advice in the above posts. It's not easy to hold that shooting position for a long time. My 58 year old bod is not in great shape and it won't hurt to work on strength and flexibility a bit. My neck is always going to be the limiting factor due to the cervical fusion. I imagine I will have to give it up at some point, but I think I can extend how long I will be able to shoot prone with proper exercise and stretching.

Now I just need a big enough shooting bag to place under the stock to hold elevation. The one I made up won't work.

There's always eagle stock packs too, they helped me immensely on the M40A1 stock.

I just talked to my smith about this very subject, which is why he'll be doing a nice bed job on my A5 when I get it.

perform more colonel angus. if ya needs a partner call shankster sure he can point you in the correct direction. this will strengthen all the neck muscles.

This is my .02 on shooting at animals from the prone position...

If it is far enough away that you need to shoot at it from prone, you can sit up on your ass until you are ready to shoot, then move down into prone.