• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck ID polishing

NoFail

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
S.F. Bay Area
Some guys were talking about using 0000 steal wool to polish inside necks.
Any of you guys do this?

Re: Neck ID polishing

before my very few competition shootings_ It's my final step on cases sorted/prepped/etc. at my best _I don't use steel wool,even if super-fine:I polish the inside of the necks w. Iosso wetted q-tips on dremel_ (only voodoo,but it make my happier before,and some other less happy ,after)_work_

I have used it on nasty 50 bmg brass to get the sealant out. Works great for that, but I have not used it on anything else. Just have not really needed to.

I used some 0000 to clean up the outside of some nasty -06 brass the other day.

For cleaning the inside of necks, I put a nylon brush in a drill.

My Chronograph says that left over carbon is better than polished, just brush out the big stuff, the grey left inside the neck act as a barrier between the brass and copper, aids in consistent bullet release.

I polish the inside of my necks with a brass brush chucked in a drill press. I put a little bit of steel wool around the brush when it gets worn down.

I find that the bullets seat a little easier (merely anecdotal evidence), they "feel" more consistent when I'm seating them, and run out may be a little less (again anecdotal, I've never recorded run out on a batch with and without...so not scientific).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Chronograph says that left over carbon is better than polished, just brush out the big stuff, the grey left inside the neck act as a barrier between the brass and copper, aids in consistent bullet release. </div></div>

Crap....Now everyone will know the secret to getting single digit ES

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I polish the inside of my necks with a brass brush chucked in a drill press. I put a little bit of steel wool around the brush when it gets worn down.

I find that the bullets seat a little easier (merely anecdotal evidence), they "feel" more consistent when I'm seating them, and run out may be a little less (again anecdotal, I've never recorded run out on a batch with and without...so not scientific).
</div></div>I do this. I like the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some guys were talking about using 0000 steal wool to polish inside necks.
Any of you guys do this? </div></div>

I have used metal bore brushes on my RCBS Trim Mate that I run my various cases on, to remove any carbon build up remaining after cleaning.

I give them just a quick kiss and call it a day.

Chris

I leave my brass in the tumbler overnight. When it comes out the necks are shiny inside and out (but not really polished).