• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Neck Lube - Type S

Woolsocks

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
I’m using type s full-length dies with bushings. I took the expander ball out (don’t understand why you would have it?). Here’s my assumption. Is this correct?

1. Lube the outside of the case by rolling it on a pad. Try to not lube the shoulder.
2. Lightly lube the outside of the neck with your fingers, since the bushing resizes it from the outside.
3. No need to lube the inside of the neck. Just brush it out.

Is there any reason to lube the inside of the neck if you’re using a bushing to re-size? Seems like the bullet should seat fine without it.

Mine is, just because the neck is dipped in the graphite. But I expand with a mandrel after dizing.

Last edited:
Reactions: misser
Is there any reason to lube the inside of the neck if you’re using a bushing to re-size? Seems like the bullet should seat fine without it.

The bullet will seat fine, but it is not as consistent on firing. I've been doing some extensive testing around this and have found both a group size impact as well as an SD impact. The SD difference is relatively minor. In the three separate tests I've done with my 300 PRC, the lubed necks have all exhibited SDs in the 6.x fps range. The non-lubed necks have ranged from about 7 to 8.8. This was over a total of 55 shots and three separate batches for each condition - more than 100 shots total.

But an adequate amount doesn’t hurt. It’s more of a wax issue. Liquid lubes are just fine on the shoulder with adequate dry time to get the liquids to evaporate.

Reactions: Rocketmandb