• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck sizer causing scoring on brass. Recommendations?

Beneviolence

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
I'm a bit frustrated with my Lee collet neck sizing die causing a fair amount of scoring along the necks of my brass. I bought 400 Lapua 6.5CM so they're not exactly cheap and I'd rather not trash them. I pulled the collet, deburred the edges of the "leafs", as well as polished the mandrel/pin and collet yet I'm still getting a fair amount of galling of the brass depositing onto the collet after a brief amount of sizing.

I'm going to try polishing it a little bit more, but if that doesn't work, does anybody have recommendations on a neck sizing die to avoid this? I'm starting to look at the neck sizing bushing dies but they would need to be a mirror polish prior to the PVD.

I use LE Wilson dies exclusively and am quite happy with them. Check and see if a Wilson bushing will fit in your Lee die (I think it will). If not, buy the equivalent Wilson die/bushing and try that.

I was having the same issue and it messed up a lot of Lapua brass. I had to polish off my dies and sand some areas to remove the little burs of brass that was now melted to the die from the friction. I finally figured out that it was from the brass having a little bit of the a bur on the necks. so when I went to resize the brass, those burs would then embed onto the die when knocked off. I had to take all my brass and dechamfer and deburr them all. That solvd my problem.

Have you recently trimmed the brass at all? That did it as well for me. so now I just check all my brass with my finger and feel for a sharp edge, if there is one it's removed

Oh, thanks guys, I hadn't thought of either of those. I think bending the collet fingers out will likely solve it and I'll try touching up the brass ID/OD mouth as well.

If neither of those works, I think I'll give a bushing die a shot.