• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck sizing and expanding for neck turning

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
I prep my brass early in the process by neck sizing and depriming then later in the process for neck turning I expand and neck size.

Do I need to re-neck size since I expanded. Wouldn't the expanding delete the purpose of neck sizing?

Also do you tumble after to remove the case lube?

This is the last step in my process before priming and powdering, should I do this early in the brass prep?

Last edited:
I'd chime in, but I don't really know what the question is.

Neck turning requires a very precise inside neck diameter, to fit the pilot just right. You must use an expander, on the inside, to achieve that precision fit. Generally, the neck ID will then be too big and you'll have zero neck tension, so some sizing will be needed.

Does that answer the question??

I clean the cases plus the inside the case neck, then neck turn before doing anything else reshaping or removing brass. The way you're doing sounds like carrying an anvil while swimming the English Channel. It is possible. But a lot more effort. Why not do it the more simple way and be done before you could get half way the other way?

I've always resized brass and then run the neck over a K&M expander mandrel before turning. Doing a regular size step first gives a consistent starting point for the expanding operation, which then gives a consistent dimension for the turning. As HodgdonExtreme notes, though, your expanded neck will probably be too loose to hold a bullet, so you'll need to size it back down with your usual tools before loading. This may seem like a fair bit of working the brass, but you want as consistent necks as possible for the turning operation, and you only turn once.

-Deprime using deprimer die
-Clean...I use a vibratory cleaner here for a few minutes only
-Full length resize to size down the necks....Your mandrel has to fit the neck to properly expand it. You can also make sure your head-space or shoulder bump is set property at this step.
-Trim necks...I use WFT (World's Finest Trimmer)
-Mandrel to expand necks to fit your neck trimmer.....I use the K & N system
-Turn necks...Don't forget lube...I use Imperial wax
-Neck size...I use Redding with bushings or Lee Collet Neck Die
-Clean to remove lube...I use my Stainless Steel Tumbler to clean brass inside and out for about an hour
-Prime
-Powder...I use RCBS Chargemaster
-Seat...I use Forster Micrometer Die

I check cocentricity along the way, and try to seat with the same pressure, but that's not easy with these presses.

Last edited: