• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Sizing. It's for real

Wannabeinotc

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2014
MN
First off, I don't consider myself an experienced reloader or a great shot by any means. I've only FL sized since I started hand-loading 10 years or so ago (mainly because it was for an AR and pistols). So I finally bought a neck sizing die for my Rem5R to see what all the hub-bub was about. If you don't do it now or are on the fence, take the jump.
First off it was way simpler just running through the neck die than the FL die. No lube to apply with my fingers and wipe off later; just dip the case neck in a can of dry media and done. That in itself was a big time saver. (Figure i'll have to FL every other time or so still) But I am pleased with the results thus far. Yeah I have a couple fliers (or mistakes), but even with the one, it measures about 1.65" edge to edge, a little better than the FL group at 1.75" (had a caliper, don't recall exact)

March%2018%202017_zpsbhsbpvsf.jpg

I agree with neck sizing to a point, I will neck size after the first firing on new brass, just to actually get it to chamber size, after that it gets fl sized. I feel you're opening a can of worms here as if you go every other firing with a neck size, your consistency will not be there. On a fl size, your cases will grow or expand, on neck size it wont, not he same, pick one or the other, don't reinvent things.

I'm happy with full length sizing. I did add neck sizing to some Prime brass I have as the necks were just a tad over-sized after full-length sizing. It's a quick step to use a bushing die to neck size them for consistent neck tension.

As with many things in the precision world, there are proponents of each method. I prefer to use what the situation demands, with my preference being full length sizing.

Look into a body only sizer as well. After a few firings you may need to run the brass through the body sizer.

Full length sizing with either a full length bushing die or a die honed to match the chambers with minimal push back of the shoulders with desired neck tension is a part of a process necessary to load match ammo. There is a reason most experienced hand loaders full length resize after every firing..Ray

What will be the harm if you neck size only every time?

You'll soon run out of headspace (cartridge base-to-shoulder length) and be unable to chamber the cartridge. It will grow in length with each firing, and eventually you will have to push ("bump") the shoulder back to allow it to fit in the chamber.

Now, when you bump the shoulder back that brass has to go somewhere, so it ends up flowing into, and increasing the length of the neck, and thus the overall length of the case. When that gets to a point you then have to trim the length back to spec to keep the neck from extending into the throat of the rifle.

You'll soon run out of headspace (cartridge base-to-shoulder length) and be unable to chamber the cartridge. It will grow in length with each firing, and eventually you will have to push ("bump") the shoulder back to allow it to fit in the chamber.

Now, when you bump the shoulder back that brass has to go somewhere, so it ends up flowing into, and increasing the length of the neck, and thus the overall length of the case. When that gets to a point you then have to trim the length back to spec to keep the neck from extending into the throat of the rifle.

Ahhhhh this makes sense now. I heard it was not good to only neck size but I never had an explanation. Thanks!

Neck sizing sucks! OP, do not let three groups change your mind on this. This is perhaps the most complicated subject in reloading.

It's not talked about enough, but dies vary quite a lot from maker to maker. Just like chambers do, and for the same reasons. In other words, they're not all equal. If you're having issues with FL sized ammo, there is a problem with your tools or processes, or both, period!

VH nailed it, but id like to add something. A batch of virgin (or preveously fired) brass which has been fired with the exact same load in the exact same conditions does NOT spring back to the same dimensions. Careful case measurement will show you this with the right tools. As you continue to load and shoot your neck sized brass you start feeling the odd sticky case. First it's one or two, next go round its 10, etc. if youre a hotrodder, this will be accentuated. There are other variables like chambers or bolt faces that are out of square, which again contributes to the sticky cases. Then your faced with the decision of when to bump them. The right answer imo, is every time, but it seems like most neck sizers always wait too long. What about shooting in dirty conditions? You have no room for error. You're allowing a big variable into your ammunition, under the guise of increased accuracy, which you're not getting, and your being hard on the receiver in the process. Easy to spot a neck sizer out of a crowd. They're the ones jerking their rifles out of position as they close hard on a random round, or the bolt sticks upon opening, or the bolt just locks up tight. This is not the way a bolt action should function, unless it has a handful of dirt in it.

Easy to spot a neck sizer out of a crowd. They're the ones jerking their rifles out of position as they close hard on a random round, or the bolt sticks upon opening, or the bolt just locks up tight.

or using a cleaning rod to wack a stuck case out of the chamber

or using a cleaning rod to wack a stuck case out of the chamber

Not really a totally true scenario, guys FL sizing can have the same issues, if someone is neck sizing just to do so and not paying attn., sooner or later issues arise. Out of spec dies, chambers etc... spell disaster no matter what.
As for the op, his groups weren't that good to make the statement he did.

You can have the best of both worlds with a bushing FL die. Been using them for years and get control of neck tension and the reliability of a FL with a .001-002" shoulder bump.

Your full length and neck 331 groups are the same. Seems that load just likes a little more neck tension. Wonder what the groups would look like if you had a fl bushing die and used a 330 bushing. I would guess they would look just like your 330 neck only groups.